The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 October 2017, 11:25 PM   #1
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Anyone thinking of buying this waterlogged Daytona project?

Sold by Hess; I think it looks legit. Who knows what happens when you disassemble one like this.

I thought you would enjoy the carnage and Want to share;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarce-Rolex....c100290.m3507
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:00 AM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

How's the market for valjoux spareparts?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:08 AM   #3
PVR
"TRF" Member

I have been looking at it in great detail and it has already come very close to what I think its worth.

Finding the parts will not be easy and my watchmaker has told me it will take 3 days of solid work and hand polishing every part and screw head and in the end you know there will be unsalvageable parts that will need to be sourced.

Then of course there is the dial which is 10k-100k for a Newman if you can find one..
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:48 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Hmmmm ... Not sure that dial matches a Daytona with a 923XXX serial number, which puts it at about 1963. Probably doesn't matter for a project watch, and the dial is shot anyway.

Too expensive already at current bid, IMHO.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 04:04 AM   #5
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
How's the market for valjoux spareparts?

Strong, at least based on a 22 that I am looking for some parts for!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 10:50 AM   #6
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Looks like early 1st year 6239 missing double swiss dial..... My guess high 20's mid 30's
If the seller could fix the movement (imho he would have) when buying a rusty movement like this an inspection by a watchmaker is important before you buy. Could be rusted beyond the average repair skills. Although parts for this early movement are out there as long as the main plate is ok.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 08:07 AM   #7
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Omg! Take my money!!!!!!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Paul
"TRF" Member

Agreed ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
....... Although parts for this early movement are out there as long as the main plate is ok .......
Yip. Cobbling that watch back together using a donor Valjoux 72 movement is absolutely do-able. End result would be a bit franken but I'm picking it's been done before. Not a bad option for someone wanting entry to early Daytona ownership at a budget price.

I understand Rolex did several tweaks to the V72 movements that morphed into the V727s used in the early Daytonas (in pursuit of a higher level of time-keeping accuracy perhaps ). Bottom line though is that the Rolex logo'd bridge plate is the only absolutely defining item in a 'Rolex' V72 movement.

Buy the watch .... source a healthy V72 donor movement ... swap over the bridge-plate ... add a '7' to the to the V72 engraving if you are a real ratbag and Bob's your Auntie's defacto.

If anyone here buys it, I know a fella in New Zealand who has a healthy Clebar V72 movement sitting in his spares. Just saying
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:46 PM   #9
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Hmmmm ... Not sure that dial matches a Daytona with a 923XXX serial number, which puts it at about 1963. Probably doesn't matter for a project watch, and the dial is shot anyway.

Too expensive already at current bid, IMHO.
+1

I noticed the dial as well. That should be an underline or two line dial, not a red Daytona.

If the movement is repairable (you'd have to go and see it in person and have a watch expert assess) - it might be worth it up to $20-$25K.
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 01:59 PM   #10
jeff hess
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Ball
Thanks... hey...of course the watch was real. And Paul, yes you hit on the nose. We get so very many pre-1987 Daytona in and we do fix everyone we can. And my watchmakers insisted they could get this running. But I feared a backlash of criticism if it looked all shiny and overbuffed and for sure was not going to put valjoux parts in. NOT our style. We weighed our options and let it go. let someone else "play" with it.

in fact, we buy most of our watches from the original owners not dealers...and often sell them "in the rough". We are selling a gmt mastr fresh from the original 1966 owner right now.. we DID change the scratched up crystal so folks could see the killer dial though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Yip. Cobbling that watch back together using a donor Valjoux 72 movement is absolutely do-able. End result would be a bit franken but I'm picking it's been done before. Not a bad option for someone wanting entry to early Daytona ownership at a budget price.

I understand Rolex did several tweaks to the V72 movements that morphed into the V727s used in the early Daytonas (in pursuit of a higher level of time-keeping accuracy perhaps ). Bottom line though is that the Rolex logo'd bridge plate is the only absolutely defining item in a 'Rolex' V72 movement.

Buy the watch .... source a healthy V72 donor movement ... swap over the bridge-plate ... add a '7' to the to the V72 engraving if you are a real ratbag and Bob's your Auntie's defacto.

If anyone here buys it, I know a fella in New Zealand who has a healthy Clebar V72 movement sitting in his spares. Just saying
jeff hess is offline   Reply With Quote