The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 31 December 2015, 08:31 AM   #1
traverse_2
"TRF" Member

AD Recommendation for Northern Virginia (NOVA)

Hi new member here..

I've finally decided to get my first Rolex - looking at a SubC, Sea Dweller 4K, or GMT II and looking for an AD in NOVA area where I can spend some time finding the right one. Could any members recommend a specific salesperson that they have done business with in the area?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
traverse_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 08:45 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Sadly, no.

The AD's in this area act like they are doing you a favor even speaking to you. Funny how they change their tune when I am wearing my Patek.

I suggest you visit several and see how your experience goes however, I will not be buying from any local AD's again.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I've purchased two rolexes locally. Very difficult to get discounts unless you have a great relationship and the watch is not high in demand. Consider calling before going in.

In both the Galleria and in Tysons 1- I have always received great customer service amd good discounts on a few non-Rolex watches. Regarding Rolex specifically, I think you'll probably get somebody fired by dropping their name here and posting a discount (if any) should expect on a Rolex.

To the credit of Tyson's Rolex ADs, they do deal with a lot of enthusiasts who come in try on every watch and leave with no sale - all expecting to be treated as if they may buy when we ALL KNOW THEY will not be buying.

I think what is difficult and interesting in the Tysons Malls is that you never know who is a real buyer and who is an enthusiast who wants to go on a watch tour and debate idiosyncratic details about the watches.

Too much wealth in the area to ignore every customer....

Good Luck!
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 08:54 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
King Street Jewelers on King Street in Old Town Alexandria. They will accommodate you.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 09:08 AM   #5
lolo96706
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV - V
Look for Louis at Lenkersdorfer Tysons Corner Center. Great to talk watches with.
lolo96706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 09:40 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
King Street Jewelers on King Street in Old Town Alexandria. They will accommodate you.
Having been there twice, I respectfully disagree.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 31 December 2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Jemspeed
"TRF" Member

I have bought at L&B and wouldn't again. Tiny Jewel Box in DC is accomodating depending on the person. For a grey you can try Alan Furman, I have not.
Jemspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 10:27 AM   #8
AK1984
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Sadly, no.

The AD's in this area act like they are doing you a favor even speaking to you. Funny how they change their tune when I am wearing my Patek.

I suggest you visit several and see how your experience goes however, I will not be buying from any local AD's again.

Why would they change a tune if your wear a patek vs a lets say a rolex or anything else for that matter

I was never denied to see a DD wearing my g shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 10:32 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1984 View Post
Why would they change a tune if your wear a patek vs a lets say a rolex or anything else for that matter

They seem to actually be interested when they see the Patek.
Old 31 December 2015, 10:34 AM   #10
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I just purchased my new YM from Dave (owner) at Lenkersdorfer in Tysons with exceptional service and would be back again. PM me if you want more info!

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Flstfirider
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlax View Post
I just purchased my new YM from Dave (owner) at Lenkersdorfer in Tysons with exceptional service and would be back again. PM me if you want more info!
I have purchased several watches from Dave at Lenkersdorfer, not the greatest discount, but honest and fair pricing.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 11:49 AM   #12
margate
"TRF" Member

Don't expect discounts on popular sports models. The tysons ADs - Lenkersdorfer and Lilienquist and Beckstead are the same company.
margate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by margate View Post
Don't expect discounts on popular sports models. The tysons ADs - Lenkersdorfer and Lilienquist and Beckstead are the same company.

No way!

I can pitch in. Don't expect a competitive price if you're a first time shopper. Been to L&B and lenkersdorf

997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 12:02 PM   #14
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverse_2 View Post
Hi new member here..

I've finally decided to get my first Rolex - looking at a SubC, Sea Dweller 4K, or GMT II and looking for an AD in NOVA area where I can spend some time finding the right one. Could any members recommend a specific salesperson that they have done business with in the area?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I live in NOVA also. Bought my TT Sub at King's jewelers but that was 19 years ago. Now I only deal with trusted sellers here on the forum. Go to any AD and try them on and find what you like, then come back here and we can give you some references for sellers here on the forum that will give you a great price on a brand new watch without sales tax and it will arrive at your door via FedEx. If you insist on the AD route, shop around as there are many ADs around the whole DC area. Best of luck!
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 12:10 PM   #15
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

About 15 years ago L&B would give pretty good deals with not much effort required. Now they hold pretty firm unless your a regular, but still nothing too aggressive. I gave up and never returned.

I would go with one of the trusted sellers.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 12:33 PM   #16
GMK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-2C & TT DJ
Try Renee at Radcliffe's in Reistertown Md. Look here buy there:)
GMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 01:34 PM   #17
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I'll 2nd Kings Great people and accommodating.....
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 01:59 PM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:

Some Rolex AD SAs know about Patek watches and others are clueless. It depends on the SA. If they know that you can afford a Patek, they know that you can readily afford a PM Rolex watch. So they know you are "creditworthy" just from being a Patek owner. They can't say that for any random stranger walking into a Rolex AD.

Having said that, I have visited some of the NoVA ADs mentioned above and most of them are nice. However once in a while, they get a large tourist group passing through and they will be busy as they can make a week's sale in a matter of a few hours.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 02:11 PM   #19
AK1984
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Some Rolex AD SAs know about Patek watches and others are clueless. It depends on the SA. If they know that you can afford a Patek, they know that you can readily afford a PM Rolex watch. So they know you are "creditworthy" just from being a Patek owner. They can't say that for any random stranger walking into a Rolex AD.

Having said that, I have visited some of the NoVA ADs mentioned above and most of them are nice. However once in a while, they get a large tourist group passing through and they will be busy as they can make a week's sale in a matter of a few hours.

Its silly to think that way.
My AD says WIS are biggest time wasters. They come in and start speaking/quoting refernces instead of model names and jewels in the movement and talk Basel and crap like that and test SA knowledge and never buy, because they can buy in canada cheaper or from trusted seller.they will also try on every watch in the case while their wives shop in the mall.

My ADs SA salivate over rich old ladys. They come in and dont ask how much. They buy Rolex for the whole family.

AK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2015, 02:18 PM   #20
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its silly to think that way.
My AD says WIS are biggest time wasters. They come in and start speaking/quoting refernces instead of model names and jewels in the movement and talk Basel and crap like that and test SA knowledge and never buy, because they can buy in canada cheaper or from trusted seller.they will also try on every watch in the case while their wives shop in the mall.

My ADs SA salivate over rich old ladys. They come in and dont ask how much. They buy Rolex for the whole family.

Very true that WIS can be a time waster to a SA if the SA is only concerned about sales and his commission.

But if you happen to find a SA that is also a WIS and the store is dead, he will be more than happy to talk watches with you even if he knows you are not going to buy a watch that day. After all, he would rather talk with another intelligent human being who knows a little about watches, rather than sit around the store doing nothing :) I had a nice chat with a SA at Lenkersdorfer some time ago and he was definitely a WIS himself. We had a fun time talking about watches and he let me try on a number of different watches, without any pressure to buy. FYI, I was wearing my Patek Aquanaut, but I have no idea if that made a difference as it was the exchange of interesting watch knowledge that I felt was more important than the watch I was wearing that day.

As always, your experiences may vary.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 07:33 PM   #21
traverse_2
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses..

Just getting off a 28 day hitch this Tuesday (S. Korea), back in VA Wednesday.. Will be checking out some of the AD's and see how it goes...
traverse_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 10:37 PM   #22
rc51matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6605
Also check out Edward Arthur in Columbia MD @ Columbia mall. Have done me better than any other AD in the area over the past 2 yrs on 2 new sports models. The owner or Son of the owner are usually there and very pleasant to deal with weather your window shopping or purchasing. They also had almost every sports model in stock last time including BLNR & white daytonas. If I'm shopping new they get my money hands down.
16628 blue
Breitling Avenger Ti
rc51matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 12:29 AM   #23
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51matt View Post
Also check out Edward Arthur in Columbia MD @ Columbia mall. Have done me better than any other AD in the area over the past 2 yrs on 2 new sports models. The owner or Son of the owner are usually there and very pleasant to deal with weather your window shopping or purchasing. They also had almost every sports model in stock last time including BLNR & white daytonas. If I'm shopping new they get my money hands down.

X2. I second this heartily. I live in Baltimore, and Edward Arthur is my local AD. Picked up my Daytona and Hulk new from them, and I am very loyal to them, as far as ADs go. They treat me like gold!

MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 01:07 AM   #24
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
If you're willing to drive a little bit, Crown Jewelers in Fredericksburg, VA is very good. Good selection and they treat you very well.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 02:08 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
My experience as well. Particularly at a place like tysons where they are familiar with the brand (as they carry it of course).

I had a good experience at L + B over thanksgiving. My SA was a young man who was clearly a wis earning some college side money. I tried the YM RG then kindly told him it's the first time I've seen one and was not ready to buy.

He then toured me around and showed me some of his favorite pieces in the store. A couple ALS and the JLC duometre, which was jaw droppingly beautiful.

I was however completely ignored trying to view a 5712 at lenkersdorfer. strange as last visit, service was much better there. Oh well I don't take it personally.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 02:36 AM   #26
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I have had good experiences when going into AD's in my area but like said above as a WIS I try to keep in mind that.... If I'm in there just to try on watches while my wife is shopping I do not want to take them away from a potential customer.

I think the term they use is strokers as one of the SA told me but hey I wouldn't like someone coming to my job with no intention of buying ,wasting my time and trying to show off either so I try to be respectful.
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 02:46 AM   #27
Downforce
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea Blue
Jewel Box in DC speak with Steven
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 03:55 AM   #28
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Check out l&b in montgomery mall. They are excellent to deal with including after sales support. Jake is easily reccomended.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 04:50 AM   #29
lzz73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
Kings Jewelers in Old Town Alexandria. Good pricing.

lzz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 10:38 AM   #30
potterydog
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Exp II
I've purchase 2 Rolex watches from Kings Jewelers in Alexandria and been very happy. Go see Simon.
potterydog is offline   Reply With Quote