The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2020, 11:24 PM   #61
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I want a 5167R so bad.......
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 11:41 PM   #62
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I want a 5167R so bad.......
It’s funny how I wanted the r so bad when I had the steel one, then I got the r and after a while I prefer the steel again.
I suppose I have come full circle

I remember someone else said the same thing a while ago but can’t remember who it was...
Old 28 May 2020, 12:17 AM   #63
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
It’s funny how I wanted the r so bad when I had the steel one, then I got the r and after a while I prefer the steel again.
I suppose I have come full circle

I remember someone else said the same thing a while ago but can’t remember who it was...
I got the 5167R a couple of months ago as I was able to track down a pretty good deal. I really love it, but I admit it's just not as wearable as a SS watch.

I'm pretty sure I hear it screaming at night for a 5164A brother
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:06 PM   #64
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Bundling to buy an R? Nope.

I'd understand if it was an A, but not an R.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 03:01 PM   #65
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I really want a 5167R too haha. Ill probably trade or sell my bracelet 5167a for one at some point.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 07:31 AM   #66
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Please do yourself a favor and call Patek in Switzerland +41 (22) 8842020 and ask them if this business practice is something they support. Let them know of the dealer in questions as well as am sure they'd want to know.

As for the dealer's 'offer', you know the truth deep in your heart. Your having to post here on TRF and asking tells the sad tale. :(

Again, please call Patek as they need to know about this dealer situation. If not for you, please do it for the next person who may have to suffer from this business practice by that dealer. Thank you.

They know and they allow it fully. Not all of their watches sell, some needs clients hands forcing to get them sold.

I wrote to patek about this practice and examples of other shitty bundles I.e., buy full gold Rolex and get on the nautilus list LOL. Patek doesn’t care honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 08:12 AM   #67
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
It does happen. They are using the demand to move more pieces or aged inventory.

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 11:24 AM   #68
GrahamM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector2019 View Post
They know and they allow it fully. Not all of their watches sell, some needs clients hands forcing to get them sold.

I wrote to patek about this practice and examples of other shitty bundles I.e., buy full gold Rolex and get on the nautilus list LOL. Patek doesn’t care honestly.

Did Patek get back to you?

Is the full gold Rolex only to get on the list? Is the delivery of Nautilus guaranteed over a certain time period

I am glad my AD does not have a similar practice.
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 12:40 PM   #69
martinr
"TRF" Member

If you think about it by responding to the question Patek will only look bad, what could they possibly say that wouldn’t? We don’t condone it, they look bad, we’re sorry, they look bad, our AD’s shouldn’t do it, they look bad etc. So it’s to their advantage to ignore the question and really they want their AD’s to sell as many watches as possible and bundling is one way of accomplishing that.
martinr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 12:41 AM   #70
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Patek doesn’t care honestly.
And that's why i sold most of my Pateks except for a kinda rare vintage piece quite a few years ago. Was a Patek enthusiast and collector for decades, yet could easily sense the changeover many years ago when their USA arm changed locations, plus the unqualified young kid took over.

When you also think about it, and let's be honest with ourselves here, their exceedingly short two-year warranty combined with excruciatingly long service times more than tells the tale. Now we have obvious bundling, etc.

Patek is merely living off of their past reputation at this point, and that reputation is coughing on the last gasps of fumes. Brands such as FPJ, ALS and others are now the real kings of the 'mainstream' mechanical timepiece trade. There's some truly impressive smaller independents too.

Hey Patek Philippe, fire the kid and bring back the old man imho. At the very least, please fire the kid and get someone in there who knows what they're doing before Patek becomes widely known as "That old brand that was quite good a long time ago, yet nowadays they're just in it with a half-hearted gesture to keep their dim flame lit".

PS: Before others chime in a reply, please let me know how many decades you've been an enthusiast and collector.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 01:28 AM   #71
martinr
"TRF" Member

Hey enjoythemusic what you wrote is advocacy journalism and has nothing to do with anything except your attitude. You’ve been ranting about Patek for practically a decade and how old are you? A collector for decades? How many decades and so what who cares it doesn’t mean anything. Your post is opinionated bluster masquerading as fact but why let the facts get in the way of what you believe.
Old 2 June 2020, 12:43 PM   #72
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Fair enough martinr, and yes it is imho of course.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 3 June 2020, 06:29 AM   #73
Exceptional
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough martinr, and yes it is imho of course.
Steven, I almost thought you made a great point but after seeing this point challenged and you choosing to quickly retreat like a frightened frog, I changed my mind.
Exceptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 06:55 AM   #74
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceptional View Post
Steven, I almost thought you made a great point but after seeing this point challenged and you choosing to quickly retreat like a frightened frog, I changed my mind.
Well, sometimes my rants do go on. It really brings me zero joy as I remember when Patek really was......

How about this, you start a new post with a poll about the minimal two-year warranty versus a more common 5 to 8 year... or shorter one year warranty. Then another post with a poll about service times and are they 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 24 weeks, or.... forever.

Let's find out what TRFers feels about these issues. So please, you make the posts so we can find out together. Who knows, maybe PP will gain valuable knowledge and adjust their business model to better reflect what they luxury clients desire.

Old 3 June 2020, 08:18 AM   #75
martinr
"TRF" Member

Stephen is right about the two year warranty and the too long service times. It should be five years and service should be faster. But if they extend the warranty then service will take even longer. They’ve been producing lots of watches for a long time and that creates a service bottleneck. They should hire more service people but that’s probably easier said than done. ALS and Journe and the independents produce a fraction of the watches Patek makes and haven’t been around as long so service isn’t a big problem for them. What I was criticizing Stephen for is the broken record Patek and TS bashing and the constant references to the good old days. He can like what he likes that’s no problem for me but after a while you have to give it a rest.
Old 3 June 2020, 08:50 AM   #76
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ Well said.

Old 3 June 2020, 09:06 AM   #77
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Steven , so appreciate your not turning this into a pissing contest - ha! You sir are a gentleman. Thanks
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 07:05 PM   #78
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamM View Post
Did Patek get back to you?

Is the full gold Rolex only to get on the list? Is the delivery of Nautilus guaranteed over a certain time period

I am glad my AD does not have a similar practice.

Other than the automated confirmation of receipt, No.

Old 3 June 2020, 07:06 PM   #79
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Steven , so appreciate your not turning this into a pissing contest - ha! You sir are a gentleman. Thanks

Absolutely, class of him.

Old 3 June 2020, 07:07 PM   #80
Codik
"TRF" Member

Even the 5167r is tough to get now. Wow.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 07:32 PM   #81
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And that's why i sold most of my Pateks except for a kinda rare vintage piece quite a few years ago. Was a Patek enthusiast and collector for decades, yet could easily sense the changeover many years ago when their USA arm changed locations, plus the unqualified young kid took over.

When you also think about it, and let's be honest with ourselves here, their exceedingly short two-year warranty combined with excruciatingly long service times more than tells the tale. Now we have obvious bundling, etc.

Patek is merely living off of their past reputation at this point, and that reputation is coughing on the last gasps of fumes. Brands such as FPJ, ALS and others are now the real kings of the 'mainstream' mechanical timepiece trade. There's some truly impressive smaller independents too.

Hey Patek Philippe, fire the kid and bring back the old man imho. At the very least, please fire the kid and get someone in there who knows what they're doing before Patek becomes widely known as "That old brand that was quite good a long time ago, yet nowadays they're just in it with a half-hearted gesture to keep their dim flame lit".

PS: Before others chime in a reply, please let me know how many decades you've been an enthusiast and collector.

I thought patek only losing potential clients but it seems even old and loyal ones are not happy too.

FPJ Lange VC AP all great watch makers and some of them ahead of patek “history aside”.

We are lucky in an era of great independent watch makers legends like Phillippe Dufour, Roger Smith, George Daniel and Kari are exceptional watchmakers; owning a timepiece of their work would match if not exceed the best of Pateks. Also we have a lot of up and coming very talented watch makers of the like of Rexhap his work on the AK or CC is mind blowing to say the least.

If patek is not satisfying your demands look elsewhere and you shall be happy you did.

Oh and mention to me the gronfeld brothers with their constant force mechanism or Lodovic with his funky upside down style, not to mention the engine turned classical dial the Californian based Joshua makes, or simply anything Hajime makes.

To conclude, paying attribute to Charles Frodsham.

Old 3 June 2020, 09:03 PM   #82
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
An interesting post and one that really comes down to either bundle or don't. The practice is the practice and you will not change it by complaining or not liking it. Times will change, hopefully for the better, and we can get the watches we want from AD's or Boutiques at MSRP. But not now. Either pay to play or sit down. Those appear to be the choices.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 02:18 AM   #83
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
FPJ Lange VC AP all great watch makers and some of them ahead of patek “history aside”.

We are lucky in an era of great independent watch makers legends like Phillippe Dufour, Roger Smith, George Daniel and Kari are exceptional watchmakers; owning a timepiece of their work would match if not exceed the best of Pateks. Also we have a lot of up and coming very talented watch makers of the like of Rexhap his work on the AK or CC is mind blowing to say the least....
Thank you for a great post. While we all owe gratitude to many of Patek's early innovations, craftsmanship, and service to mechanical timepiece enthusiasts, indeed there are many modern boutique / independent manufacturers who are taking the craft in innovative directions. Overall, it is truly fascinating in the many directions and techniques many of us never dreamed of only a decade or two ago. From the use of new materials to completely rethinking what a wrist instrument is capable of both mechanically and visually.

If i may say to everyone reading this, thanks also for 'putting up with me'. At times i can be...

...perhaps due to some idyllic 'world' i forsee that benefits us all. This extends far beyond mechanical timepieces and into other industries. Have recently come to realize my hopes are perhaps unrealistic, and this is something I've been personally struggling with as of late.

Thanks again, and as always in the end what really matters is that you... enjoy your time.

Old 4 June 2020, 11:00 AM   #84
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Sadly this is common practice for some AD’s they’ll make you buy something they can’t sell almost the same price as the watch you want (sometimes a little less)
They just know someone else will say yes to the same offer so they don’t really give a sh*t
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 10:18 AM   #85
ttee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I don't consider this bundling to be honest.

Demand for sports Patek **currently** exceeds supply by a long way. Each AD has over 50 people a day coming in asking for a Nautilus who have no relationship with the brand (of which 40 are speculators who think they'll make a quick buck). AD/Geneva now have a choice. Tell people:

"I don't know you. I get very few Nautilus every year. They go to loyal customers who are proven fans of the brand and not just interested in a speculative fad. So get out of my store and get lost"
OR
"I don't know you. I get very few Nautilus every year. Here are some other watches which you may want to consider, and in time with some purchase history and demonstrable enthusiasm for the brand, we may be able to allocate you a hard-to-get model."

Telling people the latter isn't bundling. What those guys in Geneva appeared to be saying wasn't bundling.

Bundling is when you walk into an AD, demand a 5711, he doesn't know you, doesn't care about your future business, or whether you're a speculator, and and he says, "you can take my 5711 in the back if you buy this 5327 and a 5270 right now".

That's bundling.
At least that's my view.

Pity. The whole brand is being soiled by the desperate need for two lines of Patek which aren't even their most beautiful offerings... :shakes head and sighs:
I heard the same thing in HK Audemars Piguet Boutique.
ttee is offline   Reply With Quote