The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2020, 06:39 AM   #1
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Nope/Well, Wait/Maybe/OK Yea/Obsessed

Has this ever happened to any of you? And if so, which model was it?
This was my evolution toward the obsession of a particular model the 116619LB aka The Smurf. This is the long version, ok here we go:
I first saw it and said....
-Nope, no way... way too much blue for me, I’m not even a blue kinda guy but hey whatever floats your boat, to each their own as they say.
-Well, it is kinda cool that it’s full gold but not in your face gold, but that’s it... maybe if they had a different color dial I’d get one.
- It’s actually kinda unique now that I think about it. Similar uniqueness of a Hulk in terms of a colored theme, but just a little more special bc of the PM
-(Realizing after hours of searching pics, vids, and threads of the Smurf) Ok, I totally get it now, and the blue is really growing on me now. Flat blue that matches the bezel... it’s pretty amazing.... And the first of the ceramic subs, I wonder how much they are going for? Not that I’d get one but.... just curious.
-(Double checking finances, hmmm I could probably pull it off if I really wanted to... I mean... maybe if I sold a couple others too it wouldn’t be that bad of a hit... ah what am I thinking, now isn’t the time to buy a watch... or is it?
-Wow, I’m a full on fan of the Rolex Smurf! I just love it, I mean just look at it!
(Googled smurf wrist shots) see? Look how sick that is! It would be the perfect addition to the collection! ... ok white shoes, calm down! ...(my flossy carter reference for all of you who know, know lol)
-(Now checking TRF classifieds, Chrono24, on the daily just “checking the market”
Ok it’s official folks, I have to admit, I’m obsessed!
I’m fully aware this is a problem btw and there’s a few steps I left out like trying one on etc, but I didn’t wanna write you all a novel lol if you made it this far thank you.

I’d love to hear anyone else’s experience that may be similar and if not, well now you know how a true watch addict thinks lol HAGWE!
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:08 AM   #2
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
No experience, but quite a big purchase and as you say think you got try try one on to see if it works how you think.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:15 AM   #3
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

yeah, that was more or less the process starting with a $200 Seiko 35 years ago, and repeated on most purchases (and dozens of non-purchases) ever since
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:16 AM   #4
zjd168
"TRF" Member

similar experience with Hulk and SS Daytona
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:23 AM   #5
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
yeah, that was more or less the process starting with a $200 Seiko 35 years ago, and repeated on most purchases (and dozens of non-purchases) ever since

Haha very true.

My first expensive watch was a $300 Seiko ?

And I remember thinking “damn that’s a lot of money for a watch, but I deserve it”

Fast forward a few months and I’m dropping $13,000 on a two tone sub, thinking the same thing
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:28 AM   #6
schoolboy
Banned

Yes OP, that has happened to me many times but I usually don’t pull the trigger, I am kinda obsessed with being a one expensive watch kinda guy.

I think I’m okay with having one Rolex, and maybe a few sub $500 watches

Anyway, the situation you describe has happened to me with the Tudor Pelagos, the First Omega in Space, and the Omega Speedmaster Racing 44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2020, 09:19 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Can’t say I have.

Actually seeing a watch and trying it on before passing judgement likely prevents this.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:42 AM   #8
campfire
"TRF" Member

Yes, it has on some purchases. Even with extensive in the metal fittings and online research etc.

The problem is sometimes I get a watch not being 100% sure, but end up loving it and keeping it. Other times, I go in, 101% sure and end up not bonding with it. Crazy stuff.

What I feel works for me best for some watches is to try and research as best you can and then just get it. I find that personally, I never really know until it's part of your daily or rotation and live with it for a while.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:47 AM   #9
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have gone through a very similar evolution a few times. I’m currently halfway through that process on the Omega Seamaster 300 Diver.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:36 AM   #10
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Mine was the 116610LV.

I wasn't a fan of the pastel bezel color when it first came out but it grew on me years later. I was lucky enough to have found one after calling every AD in Canada. The SA mentioned that it had been sitting in the display case for 4 months before my phone call in 2017.

Bought it over the phone and flew out 2 weeks later to collect.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:59 AM   #11
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
The Air King...
I was not a fan... Then I started liking it... Then I started watching more and more vids... Then it was obsession. And I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:22 AM   #12
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It was love at first sight for me, so can't help you there.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:26 AM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Went through the same thing with a 5167
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:27 PM   #14
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger67 View Post
No experience, but quite a big purchase and as you say think you got try try one on to see if it works how you think.
Thanks for replying, I was just saying that there were a few steps I didn't write down such as trying one on and so on as to save writing time, but I have tried the Smurf on in person and I currently have a Sub C so I know how it would feel and how the proportions work with me but going PM is something I haven't done as of yet. I was mainly having fun with sharing my obsession evolution on a watch I really didn't like at first.
Old 24 May 2020, 01:28 PM   #15
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only one lol
Old 24 May 2020, 01:29 PM   #16
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
similar experience with Hulk and SS Daytona
Amazing choices! Congrats on those purchases
Old 24 May 2020, 01:34 PM   #17
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Yes OP, that has happened to me many times but I usually don’t pull the trigger, I am kinda obsessed with being a one expensive watch kinda guy.

I think I’m okay with having one Rolex, and maybe a few sub $500 watches

Anyway, the situation you describe has happened to me with the Tudor Pelagos, the First Omega in Space, and the Omega Speedmaster Racing 44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing! You know, I sometimes play around with the idea of having just one really nice piece as I was a one watch guy for many years, but I just can't seem to do it anymore lol However, you never know as I could eventually end up that way later on, the collecting journey is always evolving for me so we shall see. I don't always pull the trigger either, but the process is still fun nonetheless, the "hunt" as they say is an experience in of itself.
Old 24 May 2020, 01:34 PM   #18
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Yes, I’ve had that. It’s usually the ones that I dislike in the beginning that become true loves in the long run. (With women too, now that I think of it.)
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:43 PM   #19
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
Yes, it has on some purchases. Even with extensive in the metal fittings and online research etc.

The problem is sometimes I get a watch not being 100% sure, but end up loving it and keeping it. Other times, I go in, 101% sure and end up not bonding with it. Crazy stuff.

What I feel works for me best for some watches is to try and research as best you can and then just get it. I find that personally, I never really know until it's part of your daily or rotation and live with it for a while.
Very good points, and I have to say I agree with you, I've had similar experiences myself.
Old 24 May 2020, 01:46 PM   #20
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
I have gone through a very similar evolution a few times. I’m currently halfway through that process on the Omega Seamaster 300 Diver.
Ah! very nice, what color??
Old 24 May 2020, 01:49 PM   #21
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
Mine was the 116610LV.

I wasn't a fan of the pastel bezel color when it first came out but it grew on me years later. I was lucky enough to have found one after calling every AD in Canada. The SA mentioned that it had been sitting in the display case for 4 months before my phone call in 2017.

Bought it over the phone and flew out 2 weeks later to collect.
Wow! Good for you!! That's awesome! and great collection you have I too, was funny about colored ceramic bezels but they eventually grew on me as I'm usually a classic black kinda guy but hey, tastes change and congrats on your LV sounds like something I'd do, I bet that flight back home was amazing lol
Old 24 May 2020, 01:50 PM   #22
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
The Air King...
I was not a fan... Then I started liking it... Then I started watching more and more vids... Then it was obsession. And I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it!
Yup! pretty much how it goes haha! amazing choice and congrats! thanks for sharing
Old 24 May 2020, 01:54 PM   #23
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
It was love at first sight for me, so can't help you there.
it's just a matter of time at this point
and beautiful piece! congrats! do you wear it often? or is it more of a special occasion watch? oh and any downsides now that you own one? great pic!
Old 24 May 2020, 01:56 PM   #24
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Went through the same thing with a 5167
nice choice! were you contemplating a 5164 as well since they are of the same family or was it this one all the way through?
Old 24 May 2020, 01:59 PM   #25
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
it's just a matter of time at this point

and beautiful piece! congrats! do you wear it often? or is it more of a special occasion watch? oh and any downsides now that you own one? great pic!
Thanks! I do wear it quite often. It's a sub, after all, and shouldn't be kept for special occasions only, imo. It can take anything and everything. Very special piece.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:12 PM   #26
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
Thanks for sharing! You know, I sometimes play around with the idea of having just one really nice piece as I was a one watch guy for many years, but I just can't seem to do it anymore lol However, you never know as I could eventually end up that way later on, the collecting journey is always evolving for me so we shall see. I don't always pull the trigger either, but the process is still fun nonetheless, the "hunt" as they say is an experience in of itself.

I agree! I love obsessing over a watch and researching it
Old 24 May 2020, 03:19 PM   #27
thedips
"TRF" Member

Watch: el presidente
Easy Dd2 and ym2

YG - DAYDATE-PRESIDENT
TT - DATEJUST-JUBILEE
SS - DATEJUST-JUBILEE
thedips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:43 PM   #28
Ihatecheese
Banned

I feel with the internet and free time it's easy to fall into a trap of obsessing over micro harmless issues. Be it a watch, a camera, a handbag, an aspiration.

It's all fine as long as you step back off the phone occasionally and recognise the watches are merely just fun distractions!
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:40 PM   #29
Piguette
Banned

Amazing! Congrats!!!
Piguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:20 PM   #30
Cru Jones

Yes. 116610LV in 2011. Flipped by white Explorer II and purchased the LVc in 2012. And I’ve loved it ever since.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote