The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 February 2016, 07:38 AM   #31
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
I went through paypal hell....I would never have an account with them again. Somebody got my username and password in Europe and drained my checking/debit account of over 7k. I got it back but it took close to a month....I was out over 7k while they "investigated"
If you must have one have it tied in to a bank card and NOT the debit card. I learned the hard way. Better yet just say no to paypay as others have had many problems with them.
I forgot, I had 4 checks bounce because of it......which I never was reimbursed for .....with fees I ended up close to over 200 in the hole plus hours lost on the phone with the fools......never again. I get red-ass just thinking about Paypal
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 01:44 AM   #32
1flossedm3
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Not using Paypal or credit cards limits the number of buyers.
And as a seller, I know that the fewer people that an item is available to, the less you are likely to get for the item.

Yea but i cant risk getting screwed out of $8000. Better to do dillegence. Wire only for sales on buyers with NO feedback or references.
Old 10 February 2016, 02:04 AM   #33
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Yes. Unless you are very familiar with the buyer (and even then, you'd have to insist on a friends & Family transfer", I would not do it.

Further, PP has withdraw limits. I believe it is $400 or $500 per month, unless you surrender your SSN to their database.

I *think* PP send you a financial statement if they disburse more than $6,000 in a tax year.

Regarding shipping, I'd only ship USPS Registered. Paper wrapped, paper security tape, address written directly on the package (not a label, which they will not accept anyway).

Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 08:56 AM   #34
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ II 116334
Sorry to jump into an old thread. I've always brought watches off grey market, mostly brand new with the 15 - 20% discount (Rolex DJ for example, Longines Worldtimer). Now I am in search for another piece 4-5k budget.

Found a seller on ebay, who have not much feedback (like 2). It was the exact limited edition I was looking for so I engage for more picture, while in the process finds the pics used on Ebay was from some website (google image search).

I point that out and request legit pics. He asked for my personal email, I gave it and he send me a few (not much) old shots. Push come to shove, I asked for more pics, and he send me some shot that looks legit, taken today I gather.

He also showed me a screen shot of another account on ebay with good feedback.

As usual, I asked to meet up (happy to fly to europe) to see the watch and if like, I would have bank transfer to the buy with my laptop in hand (or wad of cash). Instead, he say, no paypal or meeting.

I know I get buyer's protection, but is going off ebay to do a paypal deal fromt eh seller quite normal? What are my risk (I will asked for more pics when I am ready to pull the trigger).

I also found while it is secure delivery, I am being charged for a 5000 euro piece a 250euros shipping fee. I worked out for the next day secured deliveyr at 7000 euros on UPS within europe is to UK is still only around 160euros.

Does this smell bad?
Thanks,
ProdigalGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:53 AM   #35
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=447724 Never accept PayPal. Screw BHJ Beacon hill jewelers
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:05 AM   #36
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalGil View Post
Sorry to jump into an old thread. I've always brought watches off grey market, mostly brand new with the 15 - 20% discount (Rolex DJ for example, Longines Worldtimer). Now I am in search for another piece 4-5k budget.

Found a seller on ebay, who have not much feedback (like 2). It was the exact limited edition I was looking for so I engage for more picture, while in the process finds the pics used on Ebay was from some website (google image search).

I point that out and request legit pics. He asked for my personal email, I gave it and he send me a few (not much) old shots. Push come to shove, I asked for more pics, and he send me some shot that looks legit, taken today I gather.

As usual, I asked to meet up (happy to fly to europe) to see the watch and if like, I would have bank transfer to the buy with my laptop in hand (or wad of cash). Instead, he say, no paypal or meeting.

I know I get buyer's protection, but is going off ebay to do a paypal deal fromt eh seller quite normal? What are my risk (I will asked for more pics when I am ready to pull the trigger).

I also found while it is secure delivery, I am being charged for a 5000 euro piece a 250euros shipping fee. I worked out for the next day secured deliveyr at 7000 euros on UPS within europe is to UK is still only around 160euros.

Does this smell bad?
Thanks,

Yes that smells bad. Just don’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 02:26 AM   #37
Ivoryape
"TRF" Member

I don’t mind selling small items via PayPal. But there is just too many ways to scam a seller with a PayPal payment. Bank wire all the way.
Ivoryape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 06:58 AM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalGil View Post

Does this smell bad?
Thanks,
I would avoid using Ebay as a failsafe, yes they do favour buyers a lot but I recently wanted to return an item I bought that was not in as good condition as described and ebay sided with the seller so I am more cautious of trusting them now and would buy the seller and make sure you trust him fully.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:05 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
agreed
Old 24 May 2018, 11:21 AM   #40
mschafer
"TRF" Member

If the buyer pays with a CC he can always reverse the charges and you have to reimburse PayPal for the money (they do rigorously and without notice send the claim to a collection agency, despite me having a nearly 20 year clean transaction record).
I had an issue with an eBay sale, and despite me proving no wrong doing on my part (longer story but I had track number, verified original purchase invoice), with which eBay and PayPal fully agreed, the buyer just claimed it with his CC company and I had to return the funds (and that was 2 month after the fact).
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 12:18 PM   #41
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Dont bank wire anyone. I dont care who you are. Its my money and I want some protection too. I have heard of more betting scammed here over bank wires than over paypal or credit cards.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 01:38 AM   #42
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flossedm3 View Post
I'm selling my 16613 and found someone who wants to purchase. Any risks to using paypal for this? (Obviously wait till money clears).

My only fear is someone can claim they didn't recieve something (Even with tracking numbers) and get refunded somehow.

Anyone ever have any issues selling with Paypal?
I never had a problem buying or selling with paypal. Accept the payment as Friends and Family if you're concerned.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 02:25 AM   #43
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl View Post
I never had a problem buying or selling with paypal. Accept the payment as Friends and Family if you're concerned.
FF payments can be reversed by your bank if push comes to shove. I would only accept such payments from actual friends and family or trusted buyers. Ymmv
Old 25 May 2018, 02:57 AM   #44
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
After reading this whole thread, I am never buying or selling anything ever again.

It really does suck that scammers can always scam.
Old 25 May 2018, 05:41 AM   #45
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks for pulling me back to listen to my head. I am feeling the stink in this deal now more and momentarily got caught up in the GS Peacock I wanted as I previously missed out on a brand new one in Turkey on a known jeweler with a good price.

I thank the chap for the slim 3 extra pics I pushed him to share where he showed the back of the piece and limited edition no. xxx/700 piece. When I commented it looks legit without being sarcastic, the chap responded to the email straight away as said, of cause, it is legit, I do this for a living. Upon checking his other ebay account, the chap sold 2 pieces, one was a GS at €7K (msrp 10k) and further picking up the European shipping (not so far away) to the UK as almost €250.

Rather spend a bit more now at a local London non-AD jewelry. At least I get to try it on and do the deal straight away with a return policy in terms and a shop to go back to.
Old 26 May 2018, 09:34 AM   #46
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
After reading this whole thread, I am never buying or selling anything ever again.

It really does suck that scammers can always scam.
I have always brought off gery and non-ad with boutique, and the first time I consider a piece £4000 northward, I am already feeling this way. I wonder who takes risks to put down 5 bags on ebay is brave souls. Guess I need to trust PayPal more and build the experience of spotting scammers with the due diligence I pick up on the forums (pics, phone up, google..etc).

Best build and spend more time on the forum and buy off reputable members is the option I am thinking now, but have to certainly build my buyer rep also.