The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2011, 03:00 AM   #1
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Automatic Panerai comparison

I've been comparing the PAM 104/240 vs the PAM312/351. I understand that many Paneristi favor the manual models, but for me a date window is a must for the only Panerai in my collection.

I only had a few minutes at the AD, and it seemed to me that the 104 was a bit thinner and more comfortable than the 312. I would definitely swap out the strap/deployant buckle for a strap with a pre-V buckle. Can anybody comment that has had both models or tried both?

I understand the 312 had many attractive features (sandwich dial, in house movement, display back, etc.), but for a daily wearer comfort is a pretty important factor.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 06:10 AM   #2
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I think it depends on your thoughts as well as wrist size. For me the 312 was just too big, love the look of it owned one but just didnt work. That being said I do also own a 233 and this is perfect as the case is not as thick as the 312, perfection IMO.
Old 12 December 2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

what you're describing between the 104 and 312 is normal.....for some people, including myself, the 1950s case with automatic movement just doesn't sit right on the wrist....but, a standard luminor case works great (i have the 164 - shape of case is identical to 104). of course, the luminors have the cyclops....the majority seems to not like the inverted cyclops, but, i've grown to like how it balances the dial (IMO).

good luck with the hunt.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 01:18 PM   #4
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
I have a 287 Rad, which still has the Valjoux 7750 "wobble rotor", it sits snugly in the wrist and doesn't move.
I did change out the deployant to a full width strap and buckle, works fine.

The 287 must be now a smaller (numbers) production model, my M series is a production run of 800 only.

Perhaps you might consider it as an alternative, it is auto with a date.

Cheers
Richard
rulessapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 12:07 AM   #5
jldc
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
I also found that the 312 was too heavy and sat too high to be really comfortable. I traded for a 177. It's hand wound and titanium and sits much lower on the wrist. I find it much more comfortable and although I miss the date, I'm much happier with it.

L
jldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 12:33 AM   #6
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
I also found that the 312 was too heavy and sat too high to be really comfortable. I traded for a 177. It's hand wound and titanium and sits much lower on the wrist. I find it much more comfortable and although I miss the date, I'm much happier with it.

L
Thanks for the advice. 312 looks very tempting on paper, but if it doesn't wear well I'd rather pick something else.

I've been considering the 177 and a few other titanium models (like the 240) as well. My AD didn't have one, but I plan to visit the Panerai boutique at Bal Harbour this week & hope I can try one on.

I own another manual wind watch with no date. I love it but it typically sits in the safe and only comes out on weekends. I think I check the date on my watch during the week more often than the time.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 04:47 AM   #7
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Well before you rule it out I would try it on and see what you think... I did not have this opportunity but being in Chicago I am sure you have an AD around... It is a beautiful watch just a bit too thick for me
Old 14 December 2011, 06:12 AM   #8
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Well before you rule it out I would try it on and see what you think... I did not have this opportunity but being in Chicago I am sure you have an AD around... It is a beautiful watch just a bit too thick for me
Agreed, you definitely need to try it on for yourself before making a final decision. In my opinion the 312 is spot-on in every way & the fit could not be better with a leather strap on the right sized wrist.

That being said, I am not a fan of the OEM rubber. It has too much give/stretch for a watch of this size requiring a pretty tight fit to secure the head....tighter than I prefer. In my opinion, leather is the way to go. I also thought the OEM Alligator strap was a bit too short. I highly suggest you put in an order for a quality aftermarket strap or two or three immediately after buying as you just don't get the full PAM experience with the OEM offerings that come with. Good luck with your decision.