The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 16 December 2011, 06:03 AM   #1
mfer
"TRF" Member

Finally got my hands on a 372...

...well no, not mine, nor was I offered the chance to buy one. Just a good friend of mine (Rick) in town who got his already!

I've been dying to see this one in the metal. Unfortunately Panerai didn't make a road show to my town this year so I never got to see one. Well, you've all heard it before and .... well, it is true. This watch is amazing.

Rick had it on a sweet vintage style strap that went sooooo well with it.

The dial and its simplicity is absolutely amazing. Funny how something so basic is so stunning.

I have been thinking it would be too big for me. I've tried on a 127 before and I thought it was too big for me. Same thing with a 305. The 232 fits me like a glove (want badly), but the 372 has been a question mark.

So I strapped it on and gave it a test drive. I always thought Rick had much larger wrists than me, but turns out we are on the same hole (although it is just a tiny bit loose on me). Odd, I thought. Then I looked at it. DAMN!!!!!! Another flipping 10k+ watch I want. This list is getting out of control.

So, the pic above looks kinda big on me. It was just the angle though. I wish I had taken more wrist pics, but we were too busy talking and I couldn't stop looking at that dial and how well I thought it looked on me.

Now, don't get me wrong. This isn't a perfect fit for me, but definitely the perfect casual watch. Rick has definitely given me something to think about hard!!!!

Deep thoughts by mfer....

I was actually hoping it wouldn't fit. Like I said, add another 10k watch to the list! I guess it is an ok problem to have. Now I just need to figure out how to get this thing on my wrist permanently.

Big thanks for Rick for lunch, good conversation and a stellar test drive!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 06:37 AM   #2
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

don't fight it..

looks darn good on you Mik!

I have been scared to revisit the 372 again...

congrats in advance!
Old 16 December 2011, 07:18 AM   #3
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
don't fight it..

looks darn good on you Mik!

I have been scared to revisit the 372 again...

congrats in advance!
Thanks Phil. Pretty geeked up after seeing it.

There will need to be some cannibalization to my collection to do this, but I'd have to get the offer either way, so I guess we are in wait and see mode.
member#3242
Old 16 December 2011, 07:36 AM   #4
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

You aren't making the wait any easier, Mik!
Old 16 December 2011, 07:38 AM   #5
RedBaronF2001

Let me preface this post with the fact that I think the 372 is stunning (in photos and in person) despite being just this side of overpriced.

If I'm being honest here, however, it is a tad too large for you. To each, his own though. I'm a big fan or proper proportions with clothing and watches and shoes, etc and to me it appears a tad too large on your wrist. I see too many folks wearing U-Boats, Bell & Ross's, Panerai's and the like on their out of proportion wrists. While it is a trend these days I'd hate to spend 10k+ on something that you'd only wear every once in a while because its either uncomfortable to wear, only worn to show off, or because it just doesn't fit.

I can almost guarantee that they will make a 44mm version that all the 'ristis will go gaga over like this one.

I'm sure everyone else will chime in and say it's fine and ultimately it is up to you. I just wanted to offer a counter opinion in the matter since you asked.
RedBaronF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 07:46 AM   #6
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronF2001 View Post
Let me preface this post with the fact that I think the 372 is stunning (in photos and in person) despite being just this side of overpriced.

If I'm being honest here, however, it is a tad too large for you. To each, his own though. I'm a big fan or proper proportions with clothing and watches and shoes, etc and to me it appears a tad too large on your wrist. I see too many folks wearing U-Boats, Bell & Ross's, Panerai's and the like on their out of proportion wrists. While it is a trend these days I'd hate to spend 10k+ on something that you'd only wear every once in a while because its either uncomfortable to wear, only worn to show off, or because it just doesn't fit.

I can almost guarantee that they will make a 44mm version that all the 'ristis will go gaga over like this one.

I'm sure everyone else will chime in and say it's fine and ultimately it is up to you. I just wanted to offer a counter opinion in the matter since you asked.
I hear you loud and clear Red, and like I said, the 2nd pic makes it look odd on my wrist, but it really fits much better (like in the last pic). To each his own I suppose. I KNOW it is big, but I like it anyway. This isn't my only watch so it isn't like I'd be forcing myself to wear it. Plus, I'd have to even get the chance to buy one. Everyone said the 390 would be easy to get at 2000 pieces. Well, I was on the list before there was even a list. See what I got?
member#3242
Old 16 December 2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Turkeyboy
Banned

Quote:

I'm totally with you on this one...........gorgeous watch but the darn thing is bigger than the OP's hand At the end of the day however, to each his own and if you like, that's all that matters
Turkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 07:50 AM   #8
eric23
"TRF" Member

Looks great Mik! Congrats!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 07:51 AM   #9
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I hear you loud and clear Red, and like I said, the 2nd pic makes it look odd on my wrist, but it really fits much better (like in the last pic). To each his own I suppose. I KNOW it is big, but I like it anyway. This isn't my only watch so it isn't like I'd be forcing myself to wear it.
I wasn't trying the rock the boat by any means. I read your post over on the other board too and that site is going to be zealous about the watch no matter what. I thought I'd offer one counter opinion to the matter where it won't get deleted.

I'd sit tight for a 44mm version that is inevitable.

What amazes me more about this particular watch is how fast folks are willing to drop $10,000+ on it at the drop of a hat. In droves.

Bad economy, what?
Old 16 December 2011, 07:54 AM   #10
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wasn't trying the rock the boat by any means. I read your post over on the other board too and that site is going to be zealous about the watch no matter what. I thought I'd offer one counter opinion to the matter where it won't get deleted.

I'd sit tight for a 44mm version that is inevitable.

What amazes me more about this particular watch is how fast folks are willing to drop $10,000+ on it at the drop of a hat. In droves.

Bad economy, what?
No worries. Your point was very respectful and had truth to it.
member#3242
Old 16 December 2011, 07:54 AM   #11
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
Everyone said the 390 would be easy to get at 2000 pieces. Well, I was on the list before there was even a list. See what I got?
Politics. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The whole 360 thing soured the brand and the site for me.

If you really want a 390 ... try the overseas boutiques.

There should be enough 372s to go around.
Old 16 December 2011, 07:55 AM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
The true bridge to the past IMHO. What a great looking watch and tribute to the 6152-1.
Love it!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 07:56 AM   #13
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Good one Mik.

All these recent 372 threads and pix have sort of re-ignite my desire of getting one.... I thought I have overcame that and forgotten about it
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 07:58 AM   #14
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Good one Mik.

All these recent 372 threads and pix have sort of re-ignite my desire of getting one.... I thought I have overcame that and forgotten about it
Dude, I thought I was out of it. I really thought I wouldn't like it. I guess I was kind of right because I it.

member#3242
Old 16 December 2011, 08:03 AM   #15
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Dude, I thought I was out of it. I really thought I wouldn't like it. I guess I was kind of right because I it.

I was quite the opposite. I wore it for almost the whole evening at a Basel & Gevena dinner back in May, and I was loving it...
Having to wait for a long time sort of killed the desire of owning one for me...
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 08:05 AM   #16
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Looks good on you Mik. I'm looking forward to seeing one in person ....It's a great looking piece in pics

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 08:12 AM   #17
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
It sure looks good Mik,
Old 16 December 2011, 10:39 AM   #18
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I tried on one last week too and unfortunately much too big for my 6.25 inch wrists. Just my humble opinion, but the I am not too keen on the side profile of the watch. It seems to have three layers and I don't find it blends well together. Top down though - looks very nice. But each their own.

On the wrist it looked great on my mate with his (large) 7.5 inch wrist.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 12:00 PM   #19
psv
"TRF" Member

Great piece, a true remake/modern version of a classic, yet I think it is as well as wears to big. Speaking from experience as I have one, but that might soon change.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 12:20 PM   #20
m_reign
"TRF" Member

It looks good on you Mik
m_reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 12:41 PM   #21
texex91
"TRF" Member

Would love to see one in person as well. It's large, but probably grows on you pretty quick Looks pretty sweet--don't know if my wrist can pull it off, but willing to try
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 01:25 PM   #22
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
...well no, not mine, nor was I offered the chance to buy one. Just a good friend of mine (Rick) in town who got his already!

I've been dying to see this one in the metal. Unfortunately Panerai didn't make a road show to my town this year so I never got to see one. Well, you've all heard it before and .... well, it is true. This watch is amazing.

Rick had it on a sweet vintage style strap that went sooooo well with it.

The dial and its simplicity is absolutely amazing. Funny how something so basic is so stunning.

I have been thinking it would be too big for me. I've tried on a 127 before and I thought it was too big for me. Same thing with a 305. The 232 fits me like a glove (want badly), but the 372 has been a question mark.

So I strapped it on and gave it a test drive. I always thought Rick had much larger wrists than me, but turns out we are on the same hole (although it is just a tiny bit loose on me). Odd, I thought. Then I looked at it. DAMN!!!!!! Another flipping 10k+ watch I want. This list is getting out of control.

So, the pic above looks kinda big on me. It was just the angle though. I wish I had taken more wrist pics, but we were too busy talking and I couldn't stop looking at that dial and how well I thought it looked on me.

Now, don't get me wrong. This isn't a perfect fit for me, but definitely the perfect casual watch. Rick has definitely given me something to think about hard!!!!

Deep thoughts by mfer....

I was actually hoping it wouldn't fit. Like I said, add another 10k watch to the list! I guess it is an ok problem to have. Now I just need to figure out how to get this thing on my wrist permanently.

Big thanks for Rick for lunch, good conversation and a stellar test drive!

WOW... becareful now.... the 372 looks fantastic on your wrist! I keep telling the 372 is too big after trying on a 127 and that was too big so... I will stay with this thought so I save myself 10k!!

So does it wear that much bigger than a 190 or 233?

Damn.. it looks good!!!

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 01:50 PM   #23
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
WOW... becareful now.... the 372 looks fantastic on your wrist! I keep telling the 372 is too big after trying on a 127 and that was too big so... I will stay with this thought so I save myself 10k!!

So does it wear that much bigger than a 190 or 233?

Damn.. it looks good!!!

Fred
Definitely bigger than a 190 and smaller than a 127. It is my max limit for sure.
member#3242
Old 16 December 2011, 02:45 PM   #24
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
Sick!!!!!!!!!
CoachRolexRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 09:16 PM   #25
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

it is gorgeous, no doubt. and big......i wonder if you'd be going through this process, though, mik, if the 390 had already popped up for you?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 01:49 AM   #26
JF23
"TRF" Member

Wow Mik! Looks perfect on you in the "deep thought" shot.
JF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 01:57 AM   #27
Pitmaster
Banned

Great watch and read Mik,Thx for the pics.
Pitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 02:44 AM   #28
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
Mik I think it looks great on you, a tad big but hey what-the-hell, & now your in deep buy seeing & trying it on in person. But the wait/list is impossible @ this point.
I saw 1 for sale here yesterday for 11g's
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 04:50 AM   #29
mfer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the comments. I agree it is a big'n on me, but that is the point for me on this one.

Who knows. It is not like I'm even being offered one at this point and I always like a "cooling off" period after I'm geeked up. Need to make sure I want it in two weeks+.
member#3242
Old 17 December 2011, 05:58 PM   #30
vmm
"TRF" Member

That is beautiful. I figured it would be too much for me to spend for a watch that is probably too big. I have 6.75" wrists and I feel the 44 mm fit just fine. It's stunning. I've put my name in for a PAM 390, though I doubt I'll get one. I think perfection would be a 372 with the 44 mm case and acrylic crystal. That would be something.
vmm is offline   Reply With Quote