The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 24 January 2015, 01:53 PM   #1
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Scammer email

Watch out gang. I recently got an email from someone that I thought was a buyer I'd done a deal with in the past. The email address was almost identical but was using gmail vs the prior yahoo. The scammer claimed to have changed email addresses due to spam. He also seemed to know my collection and claimed he had a watch for sale at 50% off market [alarm bells going off].

Being cautious, I asked him to confirm the watch that we had exchanged and the price. He guessed [also feigning forgetfulness] but got it wrong. I also requested a PM from a watch forum I knew the buyer to frequent. Finally I sent an email to the old email address. I heard back from the REAL person. Have not heard back from the scammer.

Be careful out there. As always, remember the adage of "being too good to be true".
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Devious bastards! That's a new angle I've not heard of before.

Sent from my iPad (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 04:54 PM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Good work
Old 27 January 2015, 08:28 AM   #4
de66
"TRF" Member

Had a similar thing. Bit different though.
A former colleague of mine with whom contact had dissipated suddenly sent me a mail from his correct address. He explained that one of his friends had cancer and he had been helping him out, paying for treatments. Now he had almost depleted his funds and asked me for a loan to cover part of the expenses and promising to pay it back (of course).
Same thing, alarm bells because my former colleague has a good job, lives relatively frugal and wouldnt ask for a loan in such a way. I answered the email and asked for more details. Also asked more details, how he was doing, where he was working etc etc. I only got kind of vague answers. Simultaneously I contacted a friend of mine whom I knew to have regular contact with my former colleague, forwarded him the email and asked him if he could confirm this. He said the mail address was indeed correct but the story not. He had not been in touch for about two weeks but we both came to the conclusion this was a new hacker scheme. Somehow they managed to actually hack his account and use it.
All you guys trading and selling beware!
Wishing you further successful trades
D
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote