The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2020, 04:08 AM   #1
Quangtungnguyen
"TRF" Member

super case subs, are they more desirable?

Hey guys I currently have a explorer 1 after trading in my 36 DJ, I have the option of training in for a sub. I have not tried on a sub and have no option too since it's out of the province. Has anyone bought the non super case and upgraded too the super case (bigger lugs) how does it wear? I have 6.5 wrist. Is the 14060 more expensive then the super case? What's your thoughts
Quangtungnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:10 AM   #2
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I don't like the larger lugs, buts its a preference thing. To me they make the proportions look a bit off, but I am in the minority at least on here.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:15 AM   #3
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

You do get used to the supercase after a while. But when you switch to any other watch, do realize the lugs really are fat. It's not better or worse, just different.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:22 AM   #4
FTX I
"TRF" Member

TBH I think you need to find a way to try a 5 digit Sub, then a 6 digit (the ones with maxi or supercase) to make your own mind. Members here love the ceramic Subs for the adjustable clasp, solid bracelet etc, but many prefer the old elegant case, and there are those who love both. Hard to say what's best for you, so I wish you good luck and enjoy the ride.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:22 AM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabreath View Post
You do get used to the supercase after a while. But when you switch to any other watch, do realize the lugs really are fat. It's not better or worse, just different.
Great comment. The perfect watch would be a five digit case and six digit dial....
but wait, that exist already and it is super collectible now. The Sub LV and then the SD4K is damn closer, just a tad thick.
All in all, I prefer the maxi case and the modern configuration with the more durable ceramic bezel.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:30 AM   #6
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I went from the current sub to a 14060M a couple of years ago as I thought the smaller case looked better. I just got rid of my 14060M and went back to a 114060. I've come to the conclusion that it's better in every way and I will never go back. You will get a lot of responses here, most will be in favor of the 5 digit cases I suspect. There is no right answer here. All subs are fantastic. Good luck.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:34 AM   #7
pc109
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I think the even more noticeable difference from 6-digit to 5-digit is the shiny ceramic bezel insert vs aluminum. You can’t go wrong with either. They’re both great, as is the Explorer I.

To OP, I also have a 6.5 wrist and routinely wear 5 digit sub, ceramic sub, and SD43. Personally, I’m loving the SD43 over the other 2, even on my puny wrist.
pc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:39 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
TBH I think you need to find a way to try a 5 digit Sub, then a 6 digit (the ones with maxi or supercase) to make your own mind. Members here love the ceramic Subs for the adjustable clasp, solid bracelet etc, but many prefer the old elegant case, and there are those who love both. Hard to say what's best for you, so I wish you good luck and enjoy the ride.
This is great advice OP

Flavio owns and wears both btw
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #9
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I owned a supercase GMT BLNR. I didn't like the way it looked on my 6.75 inch wrist. I liked all the other improvements that came along with the 6 digit references, but not the way it the supercase looked when I wore it.

I eventually sold the BLNR and bought at late model 2011 14060m. It's still one of my favorite watches I've owned. I eventually discovered the 116600 SeaDweller which has tall the benefits of the 6 digit references plus, slimmer lugs and a smaller case. The rest is history...

My advice is this... if your wrist is 6.5 inches, and the 6 digit case does not appeal to you visually or on the wrist, then the 5 digit references are where you should look. You can still get them in decent shape and good working condition. They wear significantly smaller than the Supercase watches.
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:43 AM   #10
Quangtungnguyen
"TRF" Member

Wow quick response thanks everyone! I guess I'll have to find a way to try them on. The 39mm explorer is perfect on my wrist
Quangtungnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:47 AM   #11
javier
"TRF" Member

IMO it all depends on the size of your wrist
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #12
tbk
"TRF" Member

I've owned both, and I'd never go back to the five digit models, ever. They are not appealing to me in any way, to me the current models Rolex makes are much better than the cheap looking and feeling previous designs. Across the board for all models, not just the sports watches. I avoided Rolex for over a decade because they were so much cheaper feeling than the competition.
tbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:50 AM   #13
Xeer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
I went from the current sub to a 14060M a couple of years ago as I thought the smaller case looked better. I just got rid of my 14060M and went back to a 114060. I've come to the conclusion that it's better in every way and I will never go back. You will get a lot of responses here, most will be in favor of the 5 digit cases I suspect. There is no right answer here. All subs are fantastic. Good luck.
Did the exact same thing. Slimmer case looks better in pictures but the ceramic sub is in ALL aspects superior to the 14060.
Xeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 05:05 AM   #14
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I've gone back and forth and like both styles. I have small wrists around 6.5" or 6.75" and the slimmer cases fit my wrist a little bit better. I have overall spent more time with the vintage 4-digit Rolex e.g. 1680 and find them more desirable in general as they are less common and have a few features I love like the tall plexi crystals, interesting date wheels, etc.

There are also a lot of threads on this forum covering the wider lug controversy (LOL) dating back to when the super case was first introduced.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 05:06 AM   #15
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

I've owned 4, 5, and 6 digit Subs and have found something to love about each. The newer cases are different, and look a bit bigger visually, but in everyday use I find it just as easy to wear as older references. FWIW, I currently swap between a 4 digit and a newer dateless Sub with ease. YMMV of course. Best advice, as others have said is to try them on as every wrist is different. IMO can't go wrong either way.
ctzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 05:07 AM   #16
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

To me the “compromise” is 6 digit YM ... slicker case but all the upgrade there ... rhodium dial is my champion though still on wish list ... do have already two 6 digit SUBs , 16710 Pepsi and TT DJ 36 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 06:49 AM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quangtungnguyen View Post
Wow quick response thanks everyone! I guess I'll have to find a way to try them on. The 39mm explorer is perfect on my wrist

If this is the case, you likely will be happier w a 5 digit ... but think it’s important to try on both before buying .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 06:58 AM   #18
exador
Banned

Quote:
Comparison photo from another member:

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 07:06 AM   #19
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
6 digit fan here, I really like the more substantial look and feel
Old 4 January 2020, 07:14 AM   #20
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Only notice the lugs in pictures, I don't notice them on the wrist at all. The Sub' is a tank, it should be big/heavy/large.. bring it on.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 07:17 AM   #21
Bigblu10
Banned

I have owned two 5 digit Subs and two 6 digit Subs. 7.5 inch wrist. Love the current version better. Like the larger case, clasp, A.R. under cyclops better on 6 digit.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #22
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I like both cases but over time I think having the thicker lungs can withstand more polishing down the road.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 07:36 AM   #23
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
its a preference thing.
^This

You need to find which is desirable to you. Try to see both in person and determine yourself. The 6 digits definitely wear larger even though they're both 40mm watches. You might like that, you might not.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:30 PM   #24
CountryRoads
"TRF" Member

No... it’s not awful... but once you see those lugs, they are hard to unsee...
CountryRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:38 PM   #25
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I went from a five digit to a six digit Sub, and I don’t think I could go back for the reasons already stated. I also prefer the blockier case of the current iteration as it feels more robust on the wrist while still being comfortable.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:52 PM   #26
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey guys I currently have a explorer 1 after trading in my 36 DJ, I have the option of training in for a sub. I have not tried on a sub and have no option too since it's out of the province. Has anyone bought the non super case and upgraded too the super case (bigger lugs) how does it wear? I have 6.5 wrist. Is the 14060 more expensive then the super case? What's your thoughts

I own a 116610ln and a BB58. Both great. I’d argue a 16610 would replace both my dive watches, but every time I try it on, it disappoints. Not because it looks bad, it just feels cheap after wearing my two modern divers with solid links across the board. I know the 5 digits aren’t cheap, and that is not a fair assessment of the watch, but the build quality on 6 dig is farrrr superior. I do agree though that the looks of the 14060 is simply better than both of mine.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:56 PM   #27
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
super case subs, are they more desirable?
Never for me.
Old 4 January 2020, 04:00 PM   #28
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I like both for their own features.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:03 PM   #29
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
very true. the lugs are distracting. Every time I try to admire the 116610LV's dial, my eyes dart back to the lugs.

Also, not sure what some folks are saying about the overall build quality 6 digits have over 5 digit models. I only notice one superior modern improvement: the clasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
No... it’s not awful... but once you see those lugs, they are hard to unsee...
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:12 PM   #30
broham84
"TRF" Member

5 digit > 6 digit
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote