The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 November 2019, 04:04 PM   #1
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
1675 durability/toughness query and questions about recent RSC service card.

Hi All,

I have posted here a few times searching for an 8039 hour wheel. I gave up in the end and sent my 1675 off to RSC in Canada to be looked after. $1500 and 7 weeks later and she’s back!

My question about durability related to the watch’s vintage. I’m pretty tough on my watches and really do want a daily wearer. I split wood, wrench, lift weights, and desk dive with the best of them — and I don’t want to have to take off my watch to do any of these things. I’m not questioning the potential case scratches and crystal marks, that’s just patina to me; I’m inquiring about the shock resistance of the 1570 movement and mounting in the case.

While my watch was with RSC I bought a 2535.80.00 SMP300GMT to wear. It’s a much newer watch and not as good at time keeping, but I do feel like it is robust.

The reputation of Rolex’s tool watches is well earned, and I know Steve (TooMuchTalk) has taken a couple of GMTIIs to the poles, but I wonder about their robustness when it comes to shock resistance. I know, for instance, that jewels can come lose in movements without a rubber shock ring.

I wanted a 1675 because of the dial/bezel proportions as well as the case shape and low profile (it catches on everything less). And who doesn’t love a classic gmt!? I’m happy to wear the watch if it’ll get scratched or marked, but I don’t want to shake the jewels out of it! Clearly the 116710 is a better option for robustness, but the dial and bezel proportions are not to my taste (sold my last one to help with funding my MA). My question is, how rugged are these vintage 1675s.

My other questions pertain to the RSC card I received back with the watch. The date is detailed as December 2019, but I got the watch back in late November. Can anyone tell me if this post-dating standard practice? And can anyone tell me what the ‘700’ means next to the date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT

Last edited by shedlock2000; 25 November 2019 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Spelling/deletion of serial number
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 12:34 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Your 1675 is a sport watch, and likely to be as shock-resistant as pretty much any other mechanical watch. That said, some of the activities you are describing could be pretty hard on any mechanical watch ... so no guarantees. I would use a G-Shock 5600-series watch for wood-splitting.

I think I missed your previous posts. Just out of curiosity, what did RSC do for the $1500? Full service with case/bracelet refinish, including replacement hands, dial, insert?
Old 26 November 2019, 01:20 AM   #3
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve heard the shock resistance phrased as “Anything your arm can take, your Rolex can take.”

Idk about the card date issue, maybe they guesstimated the last date it might be returned to you?
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 04:03 AM   #4
Woody
"TRF" Member

I have to say I am of the view that you are guilty of overthinking this....the 1675 will be fine. These watches have been to the moon and back and have been strapped to the wrists of combat pilots. Looks to me as though it is just a date mistake in the warranty card - I guess it should read “16th November”. Just strap on your watch and enjoy it . If you can’t do that then I will happily take it off your hands.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 04:09 AM   #5
smithdg13
"TRF" Member

I have a 1978 GMT that I sent to RSC about 8 months ago. They serviced the movement, changed the crystal and crown. Everything else they left alone (per my request).

I'm not condoning "shocking" it, but I've worn to workout a few times (sort of unintentionally). Specifically, I've dead-lifted with it on and I've never noticed any negativity effects on the watch. Yard work (not lawn mowing), car wash, desk dive, worn daily etc...

I've swam with it on for short periods of time, though I'm a little more iffy on doing that regularly.

Not sure if there would be long term effects, but it keeps great time daily.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
smithdg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 04:55 AM   #6
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I have worn my 1675 and 1680 when doing all sorts of stuff like drilling into concrete, building a stone fence, all sorts of sports, hammering etc. I never had a problem so far. This is of course just anecdotal, but they can handle a lot.

The code "700" on your card is just the Rolex country code for Canada.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 11:16 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
No matter what one thinks about their GMTs or Subs, they are precision instruments subject to the frailties inherent to watch movements. Excessive exuberance with the watch could lead to failure and/or damage to the movement.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 11:55 AM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I played ice hockey while wearing my 7021 tudor sub. I’m an old goalie. After the game the Watch seemed just fine. On the other hand, ima mess. Sports Hernia, sore hips, planter fasciitis and a pinched nerve. I never would have done that with my 1675 though. I swim with my tudor in the ocean. But the 1675 is just too nice to risk screwing up. It’s the only one I can’t bear to screw up.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 05:21 PM   #9
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Your 1675 is a sport watch, and likely to be as shock-resistant as pretty much any other mechanical watch. That said, some of the activities you are describing could be pretty hard on any mechanical watch ... so no guarantees. I would use a G-Shock 5600-series watch for wood-splitting.

I think I missed your previous posts. Just out of curiosity, what did RSC do for the $1500? Full service with case/bracelet refinish, including replacement hands, dial, insert?

No, my bezel, dial, and hands are what were fitted when I bought it last year — they must have been recent service items then (I actively searched for service dial and hands because I value functionality over originality). After I bought it the watch kept stalling and the seller was not willing to do much about it (usual vintage sale drama). I took it to my watchmaker who serviced it and replaced a few wheels and the palate, but the hour wheel and a few other bits needed attention. After a year of searching, we decided to send it off to RSC and bugger the expense.

RSC didn’t detail exactly what they did and didn’t replace, but definitely the crown, crystal, tube, and hour wheel 8039 (that’s a guess from the fact that it no-longer stalls). They also re-finished the case back, the bracelet, and the clasp, but I asked them not to re-finish the case sides (they did anyway). However, the seconds hand still judders on one half of the rotation (though exactly what part of the hour varies a bit). I’m assuming that whatever causes this was not repairable or not sufficiently problematic to warrant replacement or repair. The watch operates at +1.8spd currently, so whatever it is doesn’t seem to affect time keeping.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 26 November 2019, 05:30 PM   #10
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. I appreciate the thoughts.

The consensus of opinion seems to be that the 1675s are as durable as pretty much anything else (which makes sense, I suppose, given their pedigree). It’s reassuring to hear that there are others who use their watches similarly.

Old 26 November 2019, 05:32 PM   #11
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I swim with my tudor in the ocean. But the 1675 is just too nice to risk screwing up. It’s the only one I can’t bear to screw up.

I’m less worried about swimming because mine seems to have a good case and has just come back from RSC — where they pressure test and water test the cases (least, according to the fancy pamphlet that came with the service card!)

Old 26 November 2019, 05:36 PM   #12
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
No matter what one thinks about their GMTs or Subs, they are precision instruments subject to the frailties inherent to watch movements. Excessive exuberance with the watch could lead to failure and/or damage to the movement.

I’m assuming this is the case for most watches. Some, such as the Bremont MB series, have added shock-proofing which must help a bit (given that such shock-proofing is designed to do just that). Most recent Rolex references are similarly shock-prepared (if perhaps not to the same extent as other shock-proofed watches), where most older ones are less so. But I do take your point well.

Old 26 November 2019, 05:37 PM   #13
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

The code "700" on your card is just the Rolex country code for Canada.

Thanks!! My AD didn’t tell me where it had gone — I’d assumed Geneva, but clearly not.

Old 26 November 2019, 08:06 PM   #14
Toxicant
"TRF" Member

I got my 1675 when I was 15 and wore it daily for 30 years. Worked as a mechanic, new home construction and everything else someone young and dumb would do.

I use to take it off when using a sledge hammer but for the most part it never left my wrist.

The watch sits in a safe now because I felt it was too valuable to wear as a daily so I replaced it ten years ago with a 16610 Sub for 2400 bucks, now I see people are asking 8k for that watch.

The watch will be just fine.
Old 27 November 2019, 08:57 AM   #15
1watch
"TRF" Member

I’d mostly be concerned with damage to the lume in the hands with hard shocks or vibrations with some of those activities. If they’re original, likely not too sturdy to withstand that type of treatment without fissures developing or loss of lume.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 05:39 PM   #16
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the thoughts, guys!

Old 29 November 2019, 12:08 PM   #17
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
I’d mostly be concerned with damage to the lume in the hands with hard shocks or vibrations with some of those activities. If they’re original, likely not too sturdy to withstand that type of treatment without fissures developing or loss of lume.

I used to think that, but I’ve done all types of activities in my matte dial 1960s-70s sport watches without damage, including but not limited to, jackhammering, wiring billfish, using a sawsall, rapid-firing semi auto long guns, etc. They are durable.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 01:04 PM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Your 1675 will be just as durable as it was when it first left the loading dock.

That was good enough to last the past 50 years or so. It is up to you if you want to try to keep it pristine.

I probably think a bit more about what I am subjecting my watches to now days than I used to. It's not that I worry too much about breaks or scratches; it's that I think about how much it costs now days to get it fixed.. Service prices have gone nuts.
Old 29 November 2019, 06:05 PM   #19
1watch
"TRF" Member

I still suggest those are risky activities with a 40yr or older piece, if you want to keep it in top collector condition.

Old 30 November 2019, 01:17 AM   #20
nolaclarky
"TRF" Member

I wear my 1675 on a nato 24/7 - pool, shower, gym, work, manual labor, sleep, etc and all is good. Thomas Magnum wore his while fighting crime in Hawaii so I figure I am good to go also.
nolaclarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 01:48 AM   #21
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicant View Post
I got my 1675 when I was 15
How?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 04:31 AM   #22
exador
Banned

You can split wood while wearing your Rolex but watch out for Kitty! 🐱

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 05:40 AM   #23
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
I used to think that, but I’ve done all types of activities in my matte dial 1960s-70s sport watches without damage, including but not limited to, jackhammering, wiring billfish, using a sawsall, rapid-firing semi auto long guns, etc. They are durable.

Agreed...just don’t drop one on a tiled bathroom floor. Absolute watch killers.
Old 30 November 2019, 05:43 AM   #24
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
Agreed...just don’t drop one on a tiled bathroom floor. Absolute watch killers.

The kitchen floor—vintage Sub kryptonite.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 05:46 AM   #25
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
My 1675 is a daily wearer. It loses approximately 1-2 seconds a week, less if worn. I am not going to take a chance with that.

If I am going Hulk on any occasion, I will switch to one of my G-Shocks. They do not care what they deal with.
Old 30 November 2019, 03:34 PM   #26
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
My 1675 is a daily wearer. It loses approximately 1-2 seconds a week, less if worn. I am not going to take a chance with that.

If I am going Hulk on any occasion, I will switch to one of my G-Shocks. They do not care what they deal with.

That’s good advice, no watch at all, or put it in a pocket. If you care about it staying in collector grade condition, you’re playing roulette to wear a vintage piece doing hard work that shocks and vibrates the movement and everything else to that degree.

Old 1 December 2019, 12:44 AM   #27
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Just take it off! Do you really need to wear a watch when splitting wood and lifting weights lol. You've got a great example of a 1675 - keep it that way.
Old 1 December 2019, 08:01 AM   #28
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Just take it off! Do you really need to wear a watch when splitting wood and lifting weights lol. You've got a great example of a 1675 - keep it that way.

Exactly! I just pop it in your pocket if it’s on your wrist. I usually just pop on my modern seiko if I know I’m going to be getting dirty.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2019, 05:01 PM   #29
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
You can split wood while wearing your Rolex but watch out for Kitty!

Lol! Squirrel is Squirrel by name and by nature!

Old 2 December 2019, 10:05 PM   #30
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Do what you've been doing ! Don't being taking your watch off and on every time to keep it mint. Most likely the damage will accrue when it s off. Like dropping it.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote