The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 December 2019, 01:20 PM   #1
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

North Carolina GMT master 6542 Watch Repair

Hello everyone, what a great forum. I'm hoping someone can help me out and direct me towards someone to repair/service my GMT master 6542. I'm hoping to find someone in NC or SC--I don't feel comfortable mailing it off, I'd much prefer to drop it off in person. I've done a few searches and haven't found any recommendations yet. Thanks in advance!

Best,
Justin
JMDeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2019, 02:07 PM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Too rare a piece to not get to a competent watchmaker. Depending on condition this is even more important to get to right shop

Should get photos so we can Oint you in right direction
Old 3 December 2019, 08:59 AM   #3
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Charles L. Smith Company in Mocksville NC serviced my 5513 a few years ago, when RSC Texas refused to service without changing the hands. I told him to keep the dial as is (no lume repair), keep the original bezel insert and very lightly touch up polish. He exceed my expectations.

Charles is older, and old school and has only worked on Rolexes for several decades. I know an AD who sends watches out to Charles when they are vintage.

The only caveat I have is that as I said, Charles is getting older. So, I don't know if he is still taking new clients. And if he is, I do not know what his turn around time is.

I did a review of his service of my 5513 a while back and posted it in the vintage rolex section. Heading was "Just got my 5513 back from being serviced/overhauled - pics."

Here is the link to his website:

https://www.charleslsmithcompany.com/

Good Luck.
Old 3 December 2019, 09:02 AM   #4
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

And Mocksville is right off 40, near Tanglewood.
Old 5 December 2019, 01:16 PM   #5
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for your recommendation, I'm planning on reaching out to him tomorrow and so hope he will take me on as a client. I posted about the watch a while ago on this forum, we believe it is a 1955, but was regularly worn and serviced and as Rolex ran out of original parts, everything was replaced with what they had at the time. I don't believe they do this anymore, my understanding is now if they don't have a part they won't do the repair. I tried to include a link to imgur that had photos of the watch, but apparently I haven't posted enough on this forum to add a link. Again, thank you so much for your recommendation.
Old 5 December 2019, 01:25 PM   #6
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If he won’t I know a guy in Roanoke, where I live, he does my vintage pieces and works at a Rolex AD. I work with him on the side and he is a great guy
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 01:37 PM   #7
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

I'd love his information, as we have some great family friends in Roanoke and visit there on occasion. It would be a good reason to go back, since it's been a few years.
Old 5 December 2019, 08:30 PM   #8
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDeG View Post
Thank you so much for your recommendation, I'm planning on reaching out to him tomorrow and so hope he will take me on as a client. I posted about the watch a while ago on this forum, we believe it is a 1955, but was regularly worn and serviced and as Rolex ran out of original parts, everything was replaced with what they had at the time. I don't believe they do this anymore, my understanding is now if they don't have a part they won't do the repair. I tried to include a link to imgur that had photos of the watch, but apparently I haven't posted enough on this forum to add a link. Again, thank you so much for your recommendation.
Good luck. Please update this thread to let us know how your meeting with Charles went!
Old 5 December 2019, 09:57 PM   #9
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:

While I don‘t know the recommended watchmaker,

DON‘T GIVE YOUR WATCH TO HIM!

A 6542 may be in the 100k if serviced correctly with the correct parts.

While I have no doubts, that the recommended watchmaker does great work on standard Rolex watches, you‘ll need a vintage expert!
You wouldn‘t give a 300SL Gullwing to an independent who does great work on contemporary Mercedes just because they are close by.

Best would be contacting Haywood Milton or Andrew Shear and ask for advise.
And please post a pic of your watch here, maybe we are worrying too much....
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 12:17 PM   #10
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

I appreciate everyone's comments, I'll post some photos, but I'm afraid the watch has lost most of it's value as it has been repaired and replaced with newer parts over the years. The bracelet, bezel, hands, dial, and numerals were all replaced. I was told the watch was a 1954, although based on the serial number I think it's actually a 1955. At this point, it's more sentimental than anything else. I can't imagine how much it would cost to get it back to original--that would certainly be a long term goal, right now I just want to get it back to working order. I posted about the watch on this forum when it was given to me a few years back and I also posted on reddit about it. I believe I have to post 10 times before I can add a link on this forum, so I'll add a few blank messages then link my photo album and reddit post. Thanks for your interest.
Old 7 December 2019, 12:19 PM   #11
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

Links coming in a few posts...
Old 7 December 2019, 12:20 PM   #12
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

Links coming in a few posts....
Old 7 December 2019, 12:20 PM   #13
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

Links coming in a few posts.....
Old 7 December 2019, 12:21 PM   #14
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

Links coming in a few posts......
Old 7 December 2019, 12:22 PM   #15
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

Links coming in a few posts.......
Old 7 December 2019, 12:24 PM   #16
JMDeG
"TRF" Member

Here are some photos of the watch... https://imgur.com/a/001Bl
The watch has been repaired and almost everything has been replaced.

Here is my post on reddit. It has some information about the person who passed the watch down to me--he was a very interesting and accomplished person. https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...his_watch_for/
Old 7 December 2019, 12:51 PM   #17
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

The "additional" bezel insert is better than the one on the watch. With that insert, the service parts would tell a fairly cohesive and attractive vintage story. Not original, as you already know, but still old and appealing.

Just my two cents ... sorry I don't have a watchmaker recommendation in NC.
Old 7 December 2019, 10:16 PM   #18
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Here are some photos of the watch... https://imgur.com/a/001Bl
The watch has been repaired and almost everything has been replaced.

Here is my post on reddit. It has some information about the person who passed the watch down to me--he was a very interesting and accomplished person. https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...his_watch_for/
Awesome pics!

Hat off to you for keeping the watch and wearing it.

Did you meet with Charles?
Old 8 December 2019, 11:28 AM   #19
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
With that insert, the service parts would tell a fairly cohesive and attractive vintage story. Not original, as you already know, but still old and appealing.

Just my two cents ... sorry I don't have a watchmaker recommendation in NC.
I mean, you don't have much left here in terms of value, and the re-engraved case is the cherry on top.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 02:11 PM   #20
watchknut
Banned

Go see David at Watch & Jewelry Dr. on E. Arlington in Greenville...he can help you out.
watchknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 03:49 AM   #21
SCutshall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
If he won’t I know a guy in Roanoke, where I live, he does my vintage pieces and works at a Rolex AD. I work with him on the side and he is a great guy
Is it possible to get the information on your watchmaker in Roanoke?
I have a Rolex that will be needing some attention soon and I am not finding anyone particularly local to me (I am in the Chapel Hill area of North Carolina).

Thank you in advance.

-Scott
SCutshall is offline   Reply With Quote