The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Thomas
Banned

Another change Rolex needs to make...

I am an avid collector of watches so I receive many catalogs from many watch manufacturerers. Rolex has got to be the worst. Most, if not all others that I receive are more of a book than a catalog, very nice, hard bound, great color photos, brand history complete descriptions, etc. Rolex sends a small "paperback" with pictures and nothng more. No description, history, etc. I guess when you sell every watch that you produce in a years time without a catalog they see no reason to produce one as they are very expensive and the majority usually end up in the trash anyway. Some of the nicest I have seen are from, JLC, IWC, Cartier, Omega among others.

Tom
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:06 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I agree

Rolex catalogues are pretty "thin" both literally and metaphorically (nice "chapter pics though, those BIG macro pics!).

But think about what would happen if Rolex made those "book catalogues".

Who'd pay for it??

I would rather pay for the WATCHES than for their marketing.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:08 AM   #3
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
IWC and SINN in my opinion have the best Catalogs!

Rolex could do a much better job with their catalogs and packaging. Don't think would raise price much at all , when consider the profit margin Rolex has compared to competitors with their great looking catalogs!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:12 AM   #4
yachtsales

I agree, even the website only shows a few examples. However, I dont think it would be cost effective to make a really nice brochure for tire kickers. You ever seen the "war and peace" an AD pulls out if you ask about a certain dial?!!!
yachtsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:15 AM   #5
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

I've actually never seen the catalogs you refer to. this is probably the reason i've always thought the catalogs were nice. Any pics of the catalogs you refer to...i'd like to see.
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:26 AM   #6
yachtsales

I dont have a pic. It is more of a manual, I guess you could say. The ones I have seen looks like a big three ring binder about 4 inches thick! I think I saw an old one for sale on ebay. I guess maybe a former AD was selling it. To give you an example of what it is, lets say you were looking for a Yachtmaster. There would be a Yachtmaster section with every band available, each dial, each metal (Gold, TT or SS ect.) So you can imagina how big it is.
yachtsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:26 AM   #7
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
I was in my AD the other day and they gave me a Breitling catalog. Very nice!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:35 AM   #8
leopardprey
Banned

Robb, get a hold of a IWC or SINN catalog! Like reading a really good book!!! Hard Bound, great stories, watch facts, history, etc..
JLC and GP also have great catalogs, and so is the new UN catalog.
Old 14 September 2007, 12:36 AM   #9
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
Will do Chad. Thanks!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:40 AM   #10
flumazenil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tog TT GMT TT SD4K
I have some really nice catalogs from Breuget and Zenith. I wish Rolex would show more combinations of styles and faces.
flumazenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:46 AM   #11
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I am an avid collector of watches so I receive many catalogs from many watch manufacturerers. Rolex has got to be the worst. Most, if not all others that I receive are more of a book than a catalog, very nice, hard bound, great color photos, brand history complete descriptions, etc. Rolex sends a small "paperback" with pictures and nothng more. No description, history, etc. I guess when you sell every watch that you produce in a years time without a catalog they see no reason to produce one as they are very expensive and the majority usually end up in the trash anyway. Some of the nicest I have seen are from, JLC, IWC, Cartier, Omega among others.

Tom
Hey, I would have been happy just to get a manual with my GMT II -C for the watch I bought. Instead they just stuffed in the same one they were using for the last generation. On documentation and presentation, Rolex Sucks. Still love my watch, but boy could they learn from Panerai. My Special Edition 187 diver was presented as though I were the King of Siam. Unbelievable difference in presentation, included tools, documentation. Even my Ball watch comes with more. Rolex can afford to coast on their watches, and knowing their buyer demographic, and they are doing it. Too bad.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:50 AM   #12
Thomas
Banned

Roger Dubuis

The Roger Dubuis catalog is in full color, absolutely no text of any kind, gret photos and the BIG PLUS is that is loaded with beautiful women, (just in case you're interested). Nice watches too.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 12:59 AM   #13
leopardprey
Banned

Panerai does have really nice Boxes and presentation. Should see Ulysse Nardin also! One of the nicest watch boxes I have seen. And Glashuette!! GOs even come with a custom made wooden loupe to inspect/view your watch with and a super nice custom wooden box.

When you are paying over $5000 for a watch, a nice box and manuals is nice!

Rolex presentation has that mass produced feel. Kind of like the McDonalds of Swiss Watches.
Old 14 September 2007, 01:01 AM   #14
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Madison Ave. mentality

The lesser the product, the more you have to hype it. How many Porsche commercials do you see during the nightly news, how about Honda and Toyota? I've noticed that Rolex ad's in magazines are only in the best, upper-end mags, not People or Good Housekeeping.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 14 September 2007, 02:16 AM   #15
leopardprey
Banned

Now, GoldenBear I would have to agree on Rolex Advertisement. Rolex catalogs and presentation (boxes, papers, manuals,etc..) is not that good. But, their Magazine Ads as we have seen for many years is Top Notch!!!! What I would really like to see is a Rolex Catalog documenting a lot of the Adventures, Sports, Arts that Rolex Watches have been used in. Rolex does put out a pretty decent in-house Magazine as well. But, not as nice as GO's or IWC's inhouse magazines, or the new JLC magazine.

Would really like a Coffee table book with all of the Rolex Ads in it. Rolex did a real good job of marketing their product. Some pretty good TV ads as well.