The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 September 2007, 08:44 AM   #1
pol
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date/SS Sub
A few questions...

First off this is the most incredible forum I have ever visited. I have been hanging around for awhile and there is so much information here at times its difficult to process it all....great site with great members....anyway a couple of questions.

I am looking into a few new watches...one for myself and one for my wife. For myself I am looking at a new SS submariner date...for my wife I am looking into a new Datejust, SS case, gold fluted bezel, slate grey dial with roman numerals, 18k yellow gold/SS Jubilee bracelet.

I live in the St. Louis area and am getting ready to shop around at a few of the local AD's...whats a good price for each of these watches...I have a few rolex's already (one pretty old, one fairly new) but have never had the pleasure of dealing with an AD. Just kind of curious as to what you guys think....

Anyway great site...I look forward to hearing what you guys think!
pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 08:53 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

You have a nice taste in watches. Both Rolex watches are THE classic icons IMHO.

Now, the Sub Date is quite popular, so it would be harder to get a good discount on that one than on the lady DJ.

But I would think that - depending on your AD and your negotiation skills - you should be able to get 10 % discount on the Sub Date.

As for the TT lady DJ, I would think that 15 to 20 % is realistic, since a) The AD/Rolex earns more on TT (= "Two Tone" = Steel + yellow gold "combo") watches than on the steel ones and b) the DJ is not that sought-after as the "sport's" Rolex watches.

So I wish you good luck, and please posts pics when you get those two nice Rolex watches!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 09:01 AM   #3
txrob779

Good luck with the AD. It is without a doubt the best way to go however there are a lot of good reputable pre-owned dealers too.
txrob779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 09:50 AM   #4
ron17402

Watch: 116710
Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your time here.

Go AD for sure. The piece of mind and warranty (service) is worth it.
ron17402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 10:02 AM   #5
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Welcome to TRF!

I went to an AD for peace of mind, concerning both the purchase of a genuine Rolex and for the warranty. Turns out I needed the warranty a month later, and had a very quick, expert repair. I strongly recommend going to an AD for your initial purchase. Those two watches you selected are some of the finest around! Best of luck in your search, enjoy them and please post pics! Its a wonderful hobby, isn't it?

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Pol,

You can look around at different AD's but don't expect the prices to be much different..

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here, you just do not see discounts on new mens SS sport models.

The SS Sub is about 5,175 and the Ladies TT DJ is ~6,000.. You should be able to get a bit off the DJ if you are buying 2.....

I would buy at the AD that you find most comfortable. some really don't give me a warm fuzzy.

Good luck on this....happy shopping..

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 10:16 AM   #7
SobeSVT

Watch: 07 Blue D Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by pol View Post
First off this is the most incredible forum I have ever visited. I have been hanging around for awhile and there is so much information here at times its difficult to process it all....great site with great members....anyway a couple of questions.

I am looking into a few new watches...one for myself and one for my wife. For myself I am looking at a new SS submariner date...for my wife I am looking into a new Datejust, SS case, gold fluted bezel, slate grey dial with roman numerals, 18k yellow gold/SS Jubilee bracelet.

I live in the St. Louis area and am getting ready to shop around at a few of the local AD's...whats a good price for each of these watches...I have a few rolex's already (one pretty old, one fairly new) but have never had the pleasure of dealing with an AD. Just kind of curious as to what you guys think....

Anyway great site...I look forward to hearing what you guys think!
Hi Pol and welcome to TRF,

Excellent choices however, what makes you think that dealing with an AD would be a pleasure.
SobeSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 11:47 AM   #8
pol
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the welcome guys...as a first timer in dealing with an AD I am not too sure what to expect...can you haggle with them, like with purchasing a car, or do they just state you a price (with or without a discount) and you either take it or walk?

I plan on going in next week to talk with them...so from what I can see the bottom line is likely there will be no deal on the SS Sub Date but likely a decent discount for the Lady's Datejust. I am excited...first off my wife needs a nice watch, and the Lady's looks great...and of course I am always in the market for a new Rolex, this time with a sportier look...
Old 11 September 2007, 06:56 AM   #9
pol
"TRF" Member

Well I went to the AD today...for the SS subdate they will go 5% off, about $4870...for the Ladys TT Datejust 10% off...about $5500...if they are bought together. By themselves I can get the Datejust for the same amount off, but nothing off the Sub..what do you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Old 11 September 2007, 06:59 AM   #10
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I went to the AD today...for the SS subdate they will go 5% off, about $4870...for the Ladys TT Datejust 10% off...about $5500...if they are bought together. By themselves I can get the Datejust for the same amount off, but nothing off the Sub..what do you guys think. Thanks in advance.
NO deal IMHO

Old 11 September 2007, 07:17 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
You may be able to do better at a Gray Dealer....But you won't get the warranty, or perhaps the service either..

In Vegas that would not be considered a bad deal.. Can't judge elsewhere....

The math is in their favor if they take 5% off the Sub, and then 10% off the DJ separately. You might ask for 10% off the total and you'll take them....thank you very much..

The difference would be about 250 bucks to your favor..

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2007, 12:02 PM   #12
pol
"TRF" Member

Thanks for to all for the opinions...but now my situation has changed a bit. Despite how much I like the lady's DJ, after discussion with my wife, she floored me by indicating she really didn't want one...needless to say this seemed ridiculous to me, and after a while thinking perhaps I just happened upon some luck to save me a couple grand, I realized that she is just gonna ask for something else, probably more expensive...ha! Thats ok she's worth it...

Well my question now is the following...since I am only going after the SS Sub date and not the dual purchase, am I likely gonna be in more a position to pay retail without a discount. I really want to buy from an AD, especially with all the recent posts on here, but I would like to get the best deal I can. From what I have heard, its hard to get the SS Sub date discounted. One AD has already told me his price...there are two others in the area I need to visit....should I expect the same?? Thanks again!
Old 13 September 2007, 08:48 PM   #13
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Regardless of the turn of your situation, I would STILL ask for 10 % discount on the Sub.

Old 14 September 2007, 03:29 AM   #14
pol
"TRF" Member

Thats just what I'll do...thanks for the advice.
Old 14 September 2007, 03:36 AM   #15
wandyprawira
"TRF" Member

Good luck and welcome to TRF !
Old 14 September 2007, 03:43 AM   #16
Geoff
"TRF" Member

ask for 10% off but I think 5% off on a sub is about as good as you can do.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2007, 03:59 AM   #17
sm1
"TRF" Member

New Here

Nice site. I am new here too.
I am fixing to buy a yacht master. From Talking to AD's it doesn't appear the discount this watch at all? $8250 about the going price? Guess it really doesn't matter who you get it from just as long as it is a AD? thinking about using Ben Bridge in Houston? any thoughts?

Thanks so much for the help
sm1 is offline   Reply With Quote