The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 May 2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Daso
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
SLA025 Incoming, is it worth it?

So I just got a call from my local Seiko boutique that a $2,500 deposit secures my spot for an SLA025 when they arrive. While I think it's a very cool watch and a watches values is subjective, would other seiko fans here pay $5,400 for this piece? It would become my Beach, Park and active wear piece since I don't wear my Daytona or other vintage chasing my son at park or beach. Even is there are only 1,500 being made, is it reasonable to think I'll be able to buy a discounted one or used one for much less a few months down the road? I don't see this as a real collectors piece but more of an Seiko aficionado or enthusiasts piece. What do you think? I just saw the great Seiko Prospex Padi turtle which hits a lot of the right buttons for a whopping $299
Daso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I would probably wait for a used one to come up, in the few months after its release. It's a great piece but priced on the high side. Just go for that turtle in the meantime.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:49 PM   #3
NiceShirt
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure about discounts at retail, but based on the 62mas reissue there will be quite a few pre-owned available anywhere from 10-20% off retail.
NiceShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 11:08 PM   #4
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I would grab a turtle and see how happy you are with it. I love my SRP779, you will love the PADI for sure.

You can't beat the value you get with the turtles.
Old 10 May 2018, 11:14 PM   #5
Daso
"TRF" Member

I think the Turtle is the perfect beater. No brainer. Holding off on SLA025 for now.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:59 PM   #6
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I would probably wait for a used one to come up, in the few months after its release. It's a great piece but priced on the high side. Just go for that turtle in the meantime.

I don’t think there would be a price drop. Considering it’s a Hi Beat 36000 8L55 with limited numbers for sale. Most high beat will price higher over time and definitely will be a collector’s item.

It would be a good investment and good for day to day. What about the Green Marine Master. Now that would be a good collectors item if you can get your hands on one.

But can’t beat the value of the Padi Turtle. Maybe by both. Turtle is relatively cheap in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mrjohnhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Daso
"TRF" Member

I've never seen the green Marine master but now I sort of fell for the new limited all black turtle
SRPC49 k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjohnhuo View Post
I don’t think there would be
a price drop. Considering it’s a Hi Beat 36000 8L55 with limited numbers for sale. Most high beat will price higher over time and definitely will be a collector’s item.

It would be a good investment and good for day to day. What about the Green Marine Master. Now that would be a good collectors item if you can get your hands on one.

But can’t beat the value of the Padi Turtle. Maybe by both. Turtle is relatively cheap in comparison.

Old 15 May 2018, 10:00 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a big Seiko fan but I do find it difficult to part with significant money for the Grand Seiko or others in the high end of the line. I have always wanted a Grand Seiko but the watch and my funds have never lined up. I own several Seiko Turtles and my favorite is the blue and red PADI on the bracelet. It checks all the boxes for around $300 and keeps very good time. I would get one of the divers in the $250-500 range and see if it works for you before sinking much more into it. Watch the pre-owned market to see the prices on the more expensive models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180311_112009 (002).jpg (234.8 KB, 2062 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 11:31 PM   #9
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
It is a fantastic watch, worth every penny, big congratulations
Old 16 May 2018, 08:57 AM   #10
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

You will get a watch that would probably cost 2-3K more if it was produced by a Swiss marque. As a Seiko diver and limited edition it is more likely to hold reasonable value down the road. It is also different and will not been seen on many other wrists. You can't compare it to a PADI variant, which is an OK but certainly less sophisticated offering. I own a Turtle and while it is an enjoyable casual watch, it is not in the same league.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 09:18 AM   #11
cdlerx
Banned

Really on the high side, the turtle wins it for me.
cdlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:53 AM   #12
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I am likely to pick up the SLA025, though I’m waiting to see it in the metal to commit. Based on reviews I’ve read, this watch is basically a GS level watch. The movement is the same one found in GS hi beats and the case is Zaratsu polished. The hands and dials are also meticulously finished like GS watches. The mono block case is also really cool, especially when seen from the back. I personally think this watch will be highly collectible, because it has the unique combo of a hi beat movement and GS level finishing in a Prospex watch. Add the fact that Seiko and GS are both getting more and more attention these days, and I think it’s unlikely these will be available new or slightly used for much under MSRP. Heck, even the black series turtles are now selling well over MSRP.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 12:25 PM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

Seiko-SLA025.jpg

This watch is going to be very large on the wrist at 44.8mm wide and 15.7mm thick. One has to query the comfort factor of this on a rubber strap.

I am in two minds about the two-tone style of the watch, it makes it look retro but at the same time it isn't as appealing as the style of the SLA017.

The crown is undecorated unlike the SLA017 which had a 'SEIKO' branding embossed into the crown.

I don't see any reason why this watch should be limited edition except that maybe it would not be popular enough to sell in unlimited numbers, or that Seiko want to sell this watch at a premium above its otherwise intrinsic or typical retail value.

The high-beat movement is very desirable and in a Seiko dive watch it is what one might expect to see in a Grand Seiko. The 8L55 movement has a 50 hour power reserve but it is still not a Grand Seiko movement.

Unfortunately, the watch does not come with a stainless steel bracelet too unlike the SLA017.

The watch will be popular, and no doubt it will be sold out. I cannot see it being sold above retail on the pre-owned market.

At around US$5,500 One can buy a lot of great Seiko dive watches for the price of this watch. Its going to retail for 50% more expensive than the SLA017 which I believe is a more practical watch at 39.9mm width.

The SLA017 was limited to 2,000 pieces whereas the SLA025 is limited to 1,500 pieces.

One think is for sure, this ain't going to be the last Seiko retro inspired re-edition diving watch to be released by Seiko. So my thinking is if it doesn't tick all the boxes, then wait until next year or the year after.

In the meantime, there are stacks of other options.

So overall I would say its not a watch to buy as an investment piece, but it is high quality and long term it should have very good retention value.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 01:33 PM   #14
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
If u r unsure I’d say no
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 01:49 PM   #15
Daso
"TRF" Member

The more I look at this watch the more I realize that it's the wrong watch for my needs. My daily wear is my Daytona 16520 and my fun weekend piece is a Heuer 2446c Abercrombie & Fitch. I don't baby my watches but chasing my son in the park and at the beach is not the place for those watches. Do I really need a $6k Seiko for that as cool as it sounds , no. Will I really wear this during the week no , so I'm thinking that the Padi turtle just might be the way to go although I've become fond of the all black version as well but for twice the price I'm not sure.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:23 PM   #16
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daso View Post
The more I look at this watch the more I realize that it's the wrong watch for my needs. My daily wear is my Daytona 16520 and my fun weekend piece is a Heuer 2446c Abercrombie & Fitch. I don't baby my watches but chasing my son in the park and at the beach is not the place for those watches. Do I really need a $6k Seiko for that as cool as it sounds , no. Will I really wear this during the week no , so I'm thinking that the Padi turtle just might be the way to go although I've become fond of the all black version as well but for twice the price I'm not sure.

The padi samuri is also a good alternative.

Old 20 May 2018, 10:28 PM   #17
Daso
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was just looking at the Padi Samurai. Looks nice.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:33 PM   #18
Daso
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So what are the main differences between the samurai and the Turtle? Case design and size?
Old 21 May 2018, 10:40 AM   #19
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Same movement 4R35. Just come with a better looking bracelet than the stock turtle bracelet.

Old 21 May 2018, 12:34 PM   #20
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

would totally have jumped but the thickness gets me. like my Cameron but some days I wish I had a bigger wrist or the watch was a smidge thinner.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 04:10 PM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

I got an SMS and bolted down to the Seiko Boutique to see the new release of this Seiko SLA025 today.
It is a beautiful looking watch.
However, I did not avail myself of the opportunity to purchase due to the following reasons:
(a) I have the SLA017 and feel that it is a better watch for me than the SLA025.
(b) The SLA025 retails for AUD$8,500.
(c) The SLA025 has thick lugs on a 45mm wide case but the width of the lug drop-out is very surprisingly only about 18-19mm so the strap looks very narrow on this relatively large watch (45mm).
(d) The watch does stand tall on top of ones wrist and in combination with the strap I did not find it to my personal liking.

The watch is a 'high beat' and it does look awesome, so hats off to Seiko for making this iconic watch with a solid 1 piece case (no caseback). I'm sure many will love it.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 02:54 AM   #22
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I got an SMS and bolted down to the Seiko Boutique to see the new release of this Seiko SLA025 today.
However, I did not avail myself of the opportunity to purchase due to the following reasons:
(a) I have the SLA017 and feel that it is a better watch for me than the SLA025.
(c) The SLA025 has thick lugs on a 45mm wide case but the width of the lug drop-out is very surprisingly only about 18-19mm so the strap looks very narrow on this relatively large watch (45mm).
(d) The watch does stand tall on top of ones wrist and in combination with the strap I did not find it to my personal liking.

The watch is a 'high beat' and it does look awesome, so hats off to Seiko for making this iconic watch with a solid 1 piece case (no caseback). I'm sure many will love it.

Thanks for sharing. I was looking forward to seeing this watch when it arrives at my local AD, but based on your impressions, I'm a bit less enthusiastic about it now.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 03:18 AM   #23
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I won't. For 5k I will rather add another Grand Seiko
Old 29 June 2018, 04:06 AM   #24
Star Ferry
Banned

It's a really cool watch. If it were $2000 or $3000 -- in the neighborhood of the marine master -- I might get it, but it seems to be priced for hardcore (and well-heeled) collectors of Seiko diving watches.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 09:32 AM   #25
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Not sure for me at that price range.

I still prefer the 017 for its size and its more “affordable” price.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 04:39 PM   #26
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

There is a brand new one on eBay for $5750. After eBay and PayPal fees the seller is going to net around $4945. Which is below retail. For the next year these will be available as sellers and flippers push them onto the market. It’ll take about 18 to 24 months before prices settle down and begin to rise as the owners intend on keeping them and supply dries up.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 11:24 AM   #27
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post

I want to NOT want it, but then every time I see that flat monobloc case back I get all weak in the knees. It just looks so comfy in the pics due to that case back. I'm surprised it didn't appear to live up to that hype on your wrist...or did I misunderstand your point?

And I actually like the fact you pointed out the strap looks narrow on the watch (the older I get, the more I don't like massive straps/bracelets overpowering the look of a beautiful watch head...hence the reason I no longer prefer my SMP Chrono on bracelet over the glorious taper of the Sub).

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I can't help but think w/ all these Seiko re-issues, how can they NOT give us a 6105 re-issue soon? That would be my perfect modern/vintage inspired Seiko. I now wear my '76 6105-8110 more than any other watch in my collection (it really is that comfortable and cool looking IMO)...yet I don't dare take it around water. If Seiko would hurry up and reissue the 6105 (preferably NOT in LE form) it would be a homerun I could wear daily without fear of damage. Any word/rumors you stumbled across about a 6105 reissue?
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 12:09 PM   #28
FireMonk3y
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I want to NOT want it, but then every time I see that flat monobloc case back I get all weak in the knees. It just looks so comfy in the pics due to that case back. I'm surprised it didn't appear to live up to that hype on your wrist...or did I misunderstand your point?

And I actually like the fact you pointed out the strap looks narrow on the watch (the older I get, the more I don't like massive straps/bracelets overpowering the look of a beautiful watch head...hence the reason I no longer prefer my SMP Chrono on bracelet over the glorious taper of the Sub).

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I can't help but think w/ all these Seiko re-issues, how can they NOT give us a 6105 re-issue soon? That would be my perfect modern/vintage inspired Seiko. I now wear my '76 6105-8110 more than any other watch in my collection (it really is that comfortable and cool looking IMO)...yet I don't dare take it around water. If Seiko would hurry up and reissue the 6105 (preferably NOT in LE form) it would be a homerun I could wear daily without fear of damage. Any word/rumors you stumbled across about a 6105 reissue?

Seiko seems to be doing these as a 50 year anniversary release. I believe the 6105-8000 was first released in 1968 or 69. The more popular asymmetric case wasn't until maybe 1970. So I guess we'll see if they continue with the trend.

FireMonk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 02:07 PM   #29
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMonk3y View Post
Seiko seems to be doing these as a 50 year anniversary release. I believe the 6105-8000 was first released in 1968 or 69. The more popular asymmetric case wasn't until maybe 1970. So I guess we'll see if they continue with the trend.

I was hoping for one this year as I was pretty sure the 8000 & 8110 debuted together starting in '68.

But seeing as the vintage divers essentially were released in order 6217(62MAS), 6215/6159 & then 6105, it would make sense the reissues go 62MAS, then 6159 followed by (hopefully) 6105. So I'm still holding on that the reissues just need to be in the ballpark of their 50 yr anniversary debut...but in order obviously. If that's the case, bring on the 6105 reissue come Basel 2019 (but no later than Basel 2020 please). And remember Seiko, no LE crap for the 6105 reissue...keep it in the MM300 price ballpark please. Although considering the 62MAS & 6159 reissues, it appears these reissues will be LE's.

This SLA025 is gorgeous IMO...but even I'm having trouble justifying $5,500 with no stainless bracelet.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 03:33 PM   #30
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
II own several Seiko Turtles and my favorite is the blue and red PADI on the bracelet.
That is a nice looking watch! Is that the 4 series movement? What kind of time does it keep?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote