The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Why did you pick a Submariner over a Seiko Spring Drive Diver?

Been looking at the Seiko Spring Drive Divers and was wondering if you considered that instead of a Submariner, and why you chose the Submariner.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 09:50 AM   #2
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
Been looking at the Seiko Spring Drive Divers and was wondering if you considered that instead of a Submariner, and why you chose the Submariner.

I feel that people like GS on this forum but are not yet believers in the brand as a competitor of Rolex In terms of being on same level. The brand is gaining some traction - got a low offer from a top TRF seller for trade in last year on my GS. Got 30% more offered recently for same watch. Indicative of the industry as a whole, but nice to see appreciation in value for GS.

To directly answer your question though, have you seen the GS divers in person? They are gigantic on the wrist. Possibly wear larger then deep sea. IMO, they are cool, but not as much history or status as any Rolex diver, let alone the SubC. For GS, I’d argue the Snowflake and some of the LEs might make its way into a Rolex collection, but IMO only a true GS lover can grab a GS diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
For GS, it’s just the spring Drive snowflake and perhaps a hi-beat Blue Dial. And for Seiko, it’s the SLA017J (62mas reissue). These are the iconic pieces for the GS/ Seiko brand similar to the Sub, GMT and Daytona.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
My favorite diver........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gs22.jpg (231.0 KB, 1175 views)
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 10:14 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
For actual diving, I'd probably choose a Marinemaster over a Sub or a GS diver, especially the 2018 LE green with sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel. I have one, and a Rolex Sub, but the Seiko gets all the wrist time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seiko-Prospex-SLA019-Limited-Edition-Dive-Watch-01.jpg (254.0 KB, 1166 views)
Old 24 September 2018, 10:25 AM   #6
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I believe that less than 10 people use their Subs for diving in that forum. I do not belong to that small group
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 10:30 AM   #7
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
For actual diving, I'd probably choose a Marinemaster over a Sub or a GS diver, especially the 2018 LE green with sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel. I have one, and a Rolex Sub, but the Seiko gets all the wrist time.

Interesting comment. Would you care to expound? Is that because the green Seiko is cheaper and so it lends better as a beater when diving? Or is it truly a better watch for that sport?

Old 24 September 2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
Interesting comment. Would you care to expound? Is that because the green Seiko is cheaper and so it lends better as a beater when diving? Or is it truly a better watch for that sport?

It goes to 300 metres like the Sub, it's about 1/3 the price, lume is way better (also has bezel lume up to 20). Seiko has a long history of making quality dive watches going back to the 1960s so the heritage is there, and on the wrist, I find the dial more attractive to the eye. Case cutting and finish is also better to my eye.
Old 24 September 2018, 10:42 AM   #9
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I've never been able to get past the price of the GS line. I'm so used to Seiko's costing less than $1000 that I can't see the brand commanding such high prices. The GS line may be well worth the price. I guess I'll always see Seiko as a bargain brand.
Old 24 September 2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Yes. this is the watch that caught my eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
My favorite diver........
Wondering how people make the decision between one of these or the Marine Master vs. the Submariner or Sea Dweller.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 11:00 AM   #11
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I've never been able to get past the price of the GS line. I'm so used to Seiko's costing less than $1000 that I can't see the brand commanding such high prices. The GS line may be well worth the price. I guess I'll always see Seiko as a bargain brand.
You should look more closely at a GS. All I'll say is that it ruined Rolex for me, so be careful.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 11:08 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
I won't try to convince you otherwise, but such a position is based on ignorance of the brand and its history.

For whatever reasons, Seiko has only recently begun to import their top-tier watches to the US.

Seiko is a world-class watch house and they have the history to back that up for anyone willing to pursue it.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 11:12 AM   #13
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Because it’s rolex!
Old 24 September 2018, 11:12 AM   #14
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=629049

This thread might help
Old 24 September 2018, 11:25 AM   #15
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
The GS watches are amazing for the money.

The Seiko team gives a lot for less than the Rolex price point. You either get SD or a 36k bph movement, couple that with amazing finishing and very bright lume and you get one heck of a package.

I do wish they would use 904 so their watches had a bit more weight...
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Pentameter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
I love GS and I LIKE their divers, but they're usually big in size, and almost all are made out of titanium, which I'm not super crazy about, although I would consider one if they made it a bit smaller. Regardless, while similar, I feel the Sub has a cleaner, more classic design than the GS divers do. Also, they're a lot harder to get serviced. Not the biggest deal, but it's something of a concern.

Overall though, I feel like GS is THE most underrated brand in watches.
Pentameter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:11 PM   #17
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
The GS watches are amazing for the money.

The Seiko team gives a lot for less than the Rolex price point. You either get SD or a 36k bph movement, couple that with amazing finishing and very bright lume and you get one heck of a package.

I do wish they would use 904 so their watches had a bit more weight...
yeah, not sure you'd notice the difference that you're imagining you might.....

I like GS, but I'm not a fan of the look of the Divers, it's just an aesthetic thing. But I don't like the Submariner either so.....
Old 25 September 2018, 12:42 PM   #18
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
For Seiko divers I prefer the Prospex Marine Master watches to the Grand Seiko models.
The 1000m "darth tuna", 600m spring drive and 300m mechanical are very cool watches.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:47 PM   #19
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It goes to 300 metres like the Sub, it's about 1/3 the price, lume is way better (also has bezel lume up to 20). Seiko has a long history of making quality dive watches going back to the 1960s so the heritage is there, and on the wrist, I find the dial more attractive to the eye. Case cutting and finish is also better to my eye.
So I've been quite curious about this model. How is the fit and finish compared too the seikos we all know in this country for divers of the $200 variety? - I've got the skx 0007 or whatever that reference is that has the crown in the same position, and don't get me wrong it's a cool watch but it's a $200 watch and it has continued to run fine without service for over 10 years. But the movement certainly doesn't feel like a Rolex movement when manually winding it etc. as well as the crown screwing down. I do understand the Seiko Japanese stuff is different but does it feel like more of a quality piece?
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:56 PM   #20
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
So I've been quite curious about this model. How is the fit and finish compared too the seikos we all know in this country for divers of the $200 variety? - I've got the skx 0007 or whatever that reference is that has the crown in the same position, and don't get me wrong it's a cool watch but it's a $200 watch and it has continued to run fine without service for over 10 years. But the movement certainly doesn't feel like a Rolex movement when manually winding it etc. as well as the crown screwing down. I do understand the Seiko Japanese stuff is different but does it feel like more of a quality piece?
Way ahead of SKX and SRP, etc. I'd say the fit and finish of the green MM (SLA019) is close to Grand Seiko quality, and the movement is basically an undecorated GS movement. I never owned the standard MarineMaster (now discontinued at least for the time being) but I've read that the SLA019 has improved finishing, lume fill, etc as well as the upgrade to sapphire and ceramic.

I did an incoming with better pics here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=613934
Old 25 September 2018, 01:02 PM   #21
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Way ahead of SKX and SRRP, etc. I'd say the fit and finish of the green MM (SLA019) is close to Grand Seiko quality, and the movement is basically an undecorated GS movement. I never owned the standard MarineMaster (now discontinued at least for the time being) but I've read that the SLA019 has improved finishing, lume fill, etc as well as the upgrade to sapphire and ceramic.

I did an incoming with better pics here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=613934
Thanks Adam!
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 01:07 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I hope GS releases a diver closer to 40-41 mm preferably no date. I find the current offerings a touch large. I really like that green Seiko adam has. Much prefer those hands to the ones on the GS.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:07 PM   #23
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
Thanks Adam!
You're welcome Brian. The drilled lugs and extra silicone strap are also worth noting
Old 25 September 2018, 01:26 PM   #24
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
For me Rolex was the premium brand when I was growing up .
I had a Seiko diver’s at 20 and my first Sub at 32....
Oh , I had a Tag Heuer diver’s in between ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 03:30 PM   #25
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

As much as I love GS, I’m just not a fan of the aesthetic of their divers. I do however love the higher end Prospex divers, namely the SLA017 and SLA019.

I feel that the SLA019 (the green Marinemaster that Adam mentioned) compares favorably. I own both the SLA019 and a Submariner.

For me the green MM300 is both my DSSD and my Hulk, all in one watch, if that makes sense.

I’m not sure what point I’m trying to make, so I’ll just post a pic and shut up.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 03:39 PM   #26
Rocket launcher
Banned

The seiko is a homage watch compared to the Rolex Sub
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 04:04 PM   #27
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
The Seiko is nice, and I even considered the MM300, but then I saw the price. Lots of nice watches at that price, like Omega. If purely buying a watch to seriously use to dive and abuse as a tool. The Seiko is a decent option but still a bit expensive and the green MM300 is very difficult to find.
The Rolex is well just that and when I put it on, I feel a certain way and can dress with it a certain way, the Seiko just doesn't insight those same emotions. I would pick the Submariner every time.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 04:11 PM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i would take the GS. I love the watch, i like the brand variety, and Spring Drive is just cool.

FWIW i think the finishing on the GS is superior too, but for a tool watch that matters less.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 04:13 PM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
The seiko is a homage watch compared to the Rolex Sub
is the sub an homage to the fifty fathoms?

Only so much you can do to a round watch with a black dial/bezel and a diving scale. A close look would show the massive differences between a sub and the rest of the similarly looking non rolex divers out there.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 08:26 AM   #30
stockae92
"TRF" Member

To OP, I say depends on what other watches you have and what "stage" you are at in watch collecting.

For me (and where I am at), I would go GS diver, unless its an older Sub with something significant like model (serial number) of your birth year.

And some people like people recognizing how much money you spent, and some people don't like that. I happened to like the "stealth" of GS.

And I have never complimented other people with their Sub, nor received compliment when I had my Sub. But I have talk to people with Sinn, Kobold, Anonimo, GS before about their watches.

But I bet you will get better treatment walking in a Porsche dealer with a Sub on your wrist than a GS.

Anyway, it can play out differently, get what you like, that fits you and your life style. But from a pure watch making point of view, get the GS. Its the better watch and a batter made watch. No question about it.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote