The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 April 2022, 02:02 AM   #1
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Bell & Ross BR V2-93 GMT quality?

I've been on my Rolex AD's wait list for over a year to get a new sub and while I'm waiting I've been looking at other brands. Somewhat out of frustration but also to expand my horizons. This would be in addition to the sub, not a replacement for it.

I've been looking at the Breitling Superocean 42 on rubber as a fun summer watch but I'm also drawn to the Bell & Ross BR V2-93 GMT.

Does anyone own one of these? I'm really liking the blue version. I like the legibility and I like how the red GMT hand really pops against the blue. Bell & Ross watches are incredibly legible, there's no doubt about that.

How is the quality? I know people who have had the classic square BR 03-92 for over a decade and they are still purring like a kitten. I know Bell & Ross uses ETA and not in-house movements but ETA makes some real work horses.

Just curious to get some owner opinions if anyone has one of these. Thanks! Screenshot_20220420-104231_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 02:12 AM   #2
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Good thread... I have been eyeing one of these as well. I think it looks great! Any input is appreciated from current owners!
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 02:54 AM   #3
MCV
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GO Sport Evo
I think B&R makes some great watches and the GMTs like the one you're looking at are superb.

Please see my review of the BR126 Chrono. Although I did this review nine years ago, it still holds true and I still have (and like!) the watch.

Cheers,

-Marc

http://watchreviewsbymcv.blogspot.co...ge-br-126.html
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 02:59 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I'm one of the guys who has... I've been looking at adding their bronze at some point, so I say get it and don't look back. Solid quality and never heard a customer service complaint. Easy movement to service too.

Look fwd to wrist shots.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 04:28 AM   #5
nycfyrman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Have to get the square body if you’re look at them. It’s their identity.
nycfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 06:03 AM   #6
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV View Post
I think B&R makes some great watches and the GMTs like the one you're looking at are superb.

Please see my review of the BR126 Chrono. Although I did this review nine years ago, it still holds true and I still have (and like!) the watch.

Cheers,

-Marc

Wow, talk about great timing. My grail pieces are the Rolex 6200/6538/5510 big crown subs. When I clicked on your review the first watch that appears is the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage that resembles the 6200 and the rare Explorer dial 6538. I have actually been looking at that one for a while now, as well as the double red and the military!

I am scrolling through your site right now.
Old 21 April 2022, 06:10 AM   #7
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV View Post

Cheers,

-Marc

Wow. So many reviews! I can't wait to go through them. I did a quick search of your blog and I don't see a review of that Steinhart Ocean One. Did you ever do a review of that one or do you have more pics of it? I think that piece should live on leather, just like that strep in your photo.
Old 21 April 2022, 06:38 AM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The B&R, while not having an adjustable 12 hour hand, is still a great looking GMT.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 07:21 AM   #9
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The B&R, while not having an adjustable 12 hour hand, is still a great looking GMT.
dP
You bring up a good point. I'm assuming this one is like the other ETA based GMTs that jump the GMT hand forward and back. A little different than Rolex's approach to have the adjustments made using the hour hand.

Old 21 April 2022, 07:58 AM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
You bring up a good point. I'm assuming this one is like the other ETA based GMTs that jump the GMT hand forward and back. A little different than Rolex's approach to have the adjustments made using the hour hand.

That's correct. There have been a few new "true" GMTs released. Tudor in 2018, obviously, but also Longines and some others.

But if you're just tracking another time zone while not traveling the rotating bezel on the B&R makes quick work of that.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 08:36 AM   #11
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Aside from those mentioned above, there is also the Mido Ocean Star GMT, a true traveler GMT if you can sport a 44mm case but still relatively thin and inexpensive.
https://www.midowatches.com/us/ocean...291105101.html

Also Sinn105 GMT (Office GMT)
https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/105_St_Sa_UTC.htm

And Ball Watch Endurance 1917 GMT (Traveler GMT)
https://www.exquisitetimepieces.com/...d-edition.html

Tag Heuer GMT
https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/timep...0.html#start=0

Christopher Ward Sealander (Office GMT) couldn't get past the trident seconds hand> I suppose it might have grown on me. comes in green too which I actually liked more…
https://www.christopherward.com/int/...-S00W0-B0.html

I was looking for a GMTs for a while… Actually got a used 50th anniversary Omega Seamaster 2534.50. COSC certified and a true traveler GMT with ETA movement. I like it!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 09:50 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
You bring up a good point. I'm assuming this one is like the other ETA based GMTs that jump the GMT hand forward and back.
BR-CAL.303 uses a base ETA 2893-2, maybe a Sellita equiv. My BR03-92 was the very first releases so has the ETA. Imho get the B&R, they're great timepieces and love their designs. Priced right too, if you know what I mean in this crazy world.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 April 2022, 10:43 AM   #13
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Just one more to add that I forgot about. has a nice interactive web page too. Longines Spirit Zulu GMT.
https://zulu.longines.com/en-us/
Or if you don't want to scroll forever
https://www.longines.com/en-us/watch...-l3-812-4-93-6
That's all I got…
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 04:19 PM   #14
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I've had the B&R for a little over a year and I really like it. Looks wise, I think it's one of the better looking GMTs out there. Like others have mentioned, this isn't a "true" GMT.
Build quality is great. Bezel action is solid. Love the pop form the red GMT hand.
I did think about selling it a couple times because I have another GMT that I wear much more ofter (16570 polar explorer). But each time I decided not to because it's such a great looking watch. Super comfortable to wear as well, due to the Erika's Original strap it comes with.
I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I were you.

One negative that I should add is the date window. It's very small, as is the font, making it difficult to read (at least for me). I have decent eye sight and don't wear glasses.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 06:11 AM   #15
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
I almost bought a B&R GMT, but I wanted to wait to see what was introduced the April from other brands.

I'm glad I waited. Styling is subjective obviously, but the Longines packs far more bang for your buck than the B&R. COSC certified jumping hour, applied markers, ceramic bezel, 72 hour power reserve, silicone balance spring. All this starts at under 3K before discount.

Considering that Zulu time punches above it's price point, I wouldn't think about a B&R unless offered at least a 20% discount. The B&R at retail is quickly approaching BB PRO GMT pricing. I do agree that the blue and silver is very pretty though, and if you don't really need a jumping hour, it is a good piece.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 08:05 AM   #16
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Just one more to add that I forgot about. has a nice interactive web page too. Longines Spirit Zulu GMT.
https://zulu.longines.com/en-us/
Or if you don't want to scroll forever
https://www.longines.com/en-us/watch...-l3-812-4-93-6
That's all I got…
Wow. Thank you for this suggestion. I checked out the Longines and I'm really impressed. It's beautiful. It really looks like a nice watch. I'm definitely going to have to look at these. Great website, too. I've honestly never even looked at a Longines. I'm glad I've expanded my search beyond just Rolex.

Old 25 April 2022, 08:09 AM   #17
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
I almost bought a B&R GMT, but I wanted to wait to see what was introduced the April from other brands.

I'm glad I waited. Styling is subjective obviously, but the Longines packs far more bang for your buck than the B&R. COSC certified jumping hour, applied markers, ceramic bezel, 72 hour power reserve, silicone balance spring. All this starts at under 3K before discount.

Considering that Zulu time punches above it's price point, I wouldn't think about a B&R unless offered at least a 20% discount. The B&R at retail is quickly approaching BB PRO GMT pricing. I do agree that the blue and silver is very pretty though, and if you don't really need a jumping hour, it is a good piece.
Thanks for the tips. I agree with you - this looks fantastic. I've been looking at the Longines website and I like this one more than the B&R, plus it's a true GMT. I am definitely looking forward to checking these out in person.

Old 25 April 2022, 08:37 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Just looked at the Longines, ok, yeah, wow that's a deal plus it has a silicon balance spring. Longines is coming on strong

Old 25 April 2022, 08:54 AM   #19
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Just looked at the Longines, ok, yeah, wow that's a deal plus it has a silicon balance spring. Longines is coming on strong
I know. I'm going to be completely honest. I've never even looked at them once. Now I've found several that I really like. They've got some really nice looking watches and the prices are fantastic.

I also had no idea they've been around since 1832.

Old 25 April 2022, 09:12 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

My buddy got a Longines a few years back and loves it. I keep looking at their time-only tux dial. Yeah, they've been around forever so no worries.

Old 25 April 2022, 12:41 PM   #21
Mendota
"TRF" Member

These 3 are pretty cool. I like that they have a variety of color options and strap/bracelet options for each model. The Zulu Time is definitely on my short list. I wonder how comfortable the steel bracelet is? It sounds like the leather strap has a deployant clasp.Screenshot_20220424-213331_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220424-174439_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220424-213543_Chrome.jpg