The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 April 2019, 12:11 PM   #1
spammyman
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Rolex Oysterquartz?

I'm curious what the opinion is for the Rolex Oysterquartz? I see that they seem to sell for a premium considering the general disdain for quartz watches in the collector mindset. What about servicing costs? I kind of like that the case and bracelet is reminiscent of a Royal Oak with the sharp angles. Thoughts?
spammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Dr Watches
Banned

I love them. Most of the cases are very far from razor sharp these days though. I’ve heard some pretty scary service stories as well from my circle of buddies. It’s a quartz (so it has electoral parts that can fail) with much of the geartrain of a mechanical (so it require regular oil/clean/lube).
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Just put a new battery in mine a few months ago.

I like it a lot.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Hub6152
Banned

The key to keeping the OQ going is for regular cleaning. The stepper motor isn’t strong enough to overcome a dirty escapement and burns out, which is the most common cause of failure. The supply of stepper motors at RSC is likely to run short so in some cases they replace the complete movement which isn’t cheap. However Rolliworks and some others have learned how to repair a broken stepper motor coil which is much better than having a whole new movement.

That all said the OQ is an absolute marvel of horology, 5 years of R&D, and is far from a normal cheap quartz you’d find in a “disposable” watch. It’s a full mechanical hybrid with an escapement and train wheels but powered by a battery and regulated by a crystal.

Incidentally Genta supposedly designed the original Rolex Quartz ref 5300 “Texan” which was only made for 1 year in 1971.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:40 PM   #5
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
The key to keeping the OQ going is for regular cleaning. The stepper motor isn’t strong enough to overcome a dirty escapement and burns out, which is the most common cause of failure. The supply of stepper motors at RSC is likely to run short so in some cases they replace the complete movement which isn’t cheap. However Rolliworks and some others have learned how to repair a broken stepper motor coil which is much better than having a whole new movement.

That all said the OQ is an absolute marvel of horology, 5 years of R&D, and is far from a normal cheap quartz you’d find in a “disposable” watch. It’s a full mechanical hybrid with an escapement and train wheels but powered by a battery and regulated by a crystal.

Incidentally Genta supposedly designed the original Rolex Quartz ref 5300 “Texan” which was only made for 1 year in 1971.
Interesting, did not know the Genta connection
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:45 PM   #6
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:

You know what? I was only thinking when I saw the above pictures, if Mr. Genta had anything to do with its original design. The similarities between it and AP are quite striking.
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:48 PM   #7
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

https://www.oysterquartz.watch/19188
Old 19 April 2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatHarry View Post
You know what? I was only thinking when I saw the above pictures, if Mr. Genta had anything to do with its original design. The similarities between it and AP are quite striking.

Actually the evidence is only anecdotal and not firmly established. Salon QP interviewed one of Gentas’ close friends and it was he who casually mentioned that Genta had always wanted to design the DJ but instead had designed the original Rolex Quartz. There are some early Rolex Oysters from the 1940’s that have very similar design cues with the shape of the case and is likely the Oysterquartz was derived from them as much as anything.

This is the ref 5300 Texan that Rolex only made for 1 year and supposedly the Genta design.

Old 19 April 2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

I do not know if it is the angle of the picture or what, but it is striking how close to the edge of the dial the date window is on the 5300. Was the Beta movement bigger than the Oysterquartz?
Old 19 April 2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
I do not know if it is the angle of the picture or what, but it is striking how close to the edge of the dial the date window is on the 5300. Was the Beta movement bigger than the Oysterquartz?

Much bigger and is one reason why Rolex stopped the 5300 so quickly because it didn’t fit the normal sized Oyster case. That and the fact that despite the funding they had put into forming CEH (Centres Electronique Horlogers) and the development of the Beta 1 and Beta 21 movements they decided they didn’t want to use the same movement that Omega, Patek and others were as CEH participants.
Old 19 April 2019, 07:05 PM   #11
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Much bigger and is one reason why Rolex stopped the 5300 so quickly because it didn’t fit the normal sized Oyster case. That and the fact that despite the funding they had put into forming CEH (Centres Electronique Horlogers) and the development of the Beta 1 and Beta 21 movements they decided they didn’t want to use the same movement that Omega, Patek and others were as CEH participants.
Thank you
Old 20 April 2019, 11:54 AM   #12
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammyman View Post
I'm curious what the opinion is for the Rolex Oysterquartz? I see that they seem to sell for a premium considering the general disdain for quartz watches in the collector mindset. What about servicing costs? I kind of like that the case and bracelet is reminiscent of a Royal Oak with the sharp angles. Thoughts?

Same DNA? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 April 2019, 12:33 PM   #13
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post

As I stated above there is only anecdotal evidence that Genta was the designer of the first Rolex Quartz Watch. This is not confirmed by his wife who is currently compiling an online museum to his memory from what I’ve read. Rolex has had similar angled cases in its past inventory that it might just as likely have drawn on for the inspiration for the OQ such as this early Watch with a very similar distinctly angular case design.

But they most likely did look at elements of the AP RO design such as the integrated bracelet and perhaps “borrowed” ideas to make the OQ distinctly different from their mechanical references.

Old 20 April 2019, 01:25 PM   #14
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Speaks a thousand words.

Old 20 April 2019, 01:51 PM   #15
spammyman
"TRF" Member

This has been a very interesting and informative thread.
Old 20 April 2019, 03:25 PM   #16
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As I stated above there is only anecdotal evidence that Genta was the designer of the first Rolex Quartz Watch. This is not confirmed by his wife who is currently compiling an online museum to his memory from what I’ve read. Rolex has had similar angled cases in its past inventory that it might just as likely have drawn on for the inspiration for the OQ such as this early Watch with a very similar distinctly angular case design.

But they most likely did look at elements of the AP RO design such as the integrated bracelet and perhaps “borrowed” ideas to make the OQ distinctly different from their mechanical references.

That’s quite correct as I have seen many vintage Rolex especially bubble back have the similar integrated case design. That’s why I like to collect OQ as well and I am big royal oak fan :)

Old 20 April 2019, 06:30 PM   #17
doramas
Banned

I love the version with the OQ case and automatic movement.

Rolex 1530

Rolex 1630

I'd love to have the 1530.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 06:50 PM   #18
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
These remind me of a Casio i had as young lad, Angular design was very similar.

Loved that watch to bits and still think it may be in my old room at my parents. Will have to check next visit.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 07:18 PM   #19
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

I just want to add that it is very difficult to find these watches in pristine conditions because they are very difficult to polish without altering those angular lines and rounding their sharp edges. Even those flat solid links tend to become somewhat rounded with polishing. The watches pictured in this thread are very well preserved in that regard, especially the 1630s
Old 20 April 2019, 09:26 PM   #20
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
These remind me of a Casio i had as young lad, Angular design was very similar.

Loved that watch to bits and still think it may be in my old room at my parents. Will have to check next visit.

Can’t see yours and please share with us if you find it

Old 21 April 2019, 02:05 AM   #21
spammyman
"TRF" Member

Oh wow. Had no idea the 1530 existed. That would be an ideal watch for me, but looks like they fetch a premium.
Old 21 April 2019, 01:03 PM   #22
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I'm not familiar with model 5300 - I am familiar with 5100. Can someone enlighten me please.

Vlad

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 01:07 PM   #23
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I'm not familiar with model 5300 - I am familiar with 5100. Can someone enlighten me please.

Vlad

My bad - not a typo so much as a braino! Yes 5100 it should be and not 5300.
Old 21 April 2019, 01:08 PM   #24
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you were to compare a 36mm 14790, it's even closer.

Also, other companies produced very similar watches ... Below is RoyalQuartz from Eterna

Old 21 April 2019, 01:14 PM   #25
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:

Also, other companies produced very similar watches ... Below is RoyalQuartz from Eterna

How interesting - I’ve never seen one of those before! The similarities are striking.
Old 21 April 2019, 01:24 PM   #26
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Someone asked to see a photo of Beta21 in 5100. Enjoy.

Old 21 April 2019, 02:32 PM   #27
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed that the 14790 with same diameter 36mm will be closer comparison. And not only the Eterna, there are many watch companies produced similar designs

Old 21 April 2019, 03:49 PM   #28
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks It looks really, hem, primitive?
Funny also how the crown on the Texano does not look like a Rolex crown at all.
As for the Eterna above, they seem to have copied the Royal Oak crown as well (except it is octagonal, so probably more comfortable to use)...
Old 21 April 2019, 04:08 PM   #29
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Nice! Hadn't seen that before. Here's a Beta 21 in an Omega cal 1300:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omega_electroquartz_beta21movement.jpg (120.8 KB, 720 views)
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:50 PM   #30
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually the evidence is only anecdotal and not firmly established. Salon QP interviewed one of Gentas’ close friends and it was he who casually mentioned that Genta had always wanted to design the DJ but instead had designed the original Rolex Quartz. There are some early Rolex Oysters from the 1940’s that have very similar design cues with the shape of the case and is likely the Oysterquartz was derived from them as much as anything.

This is the ref 5300 Texan that Rolex only made for 1 year and supposedly the Genta design.

Thanks for posting a picture of the ref.5300 Texan, I couldn’t find anything about it at all online, much appreciated!
The case design from the ‘40’s certainly has its DNA in the Oysterquartz.
Very informative.