The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 May 2019, 01:36 AM   #1
GrandCanyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 116660
My 16750

On January 8, 1982, I purchased a new GMT Master from Slavicks in City of Industry, CA. I have all the service records and original paperwork. I did not receive the hang tags and as an indication of how inexperienced the sales person was the warranty paperwork was not completed. In 2014, the dial, bezel and hands were replaced by the RSC in Beverly Hills. The originals had faded and the luminous material on the hands were falling off and bouncing around inside the Crystal. I have worn this watch almost every day since January, 1982. I purchased it to celebrate my completion of my Master’s degree from the University of California.20190523_114018a.jpg

20190523_114027a.jpg
GrandCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 01:50 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Awesome. Go bears! Wear in good health.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 04:41 PM   #3
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

was it a matte dial prior to the service?

I think 1982 still have matte dial 16750s
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Woody
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch and delighted to hear that you have worn it as intended - thanks for sharing.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 02:02 AM   #5
GrandCanyon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
was it a matte dial prior to the service?

I think 1982 still have matte dial 16750s
Alwayshere, yes, it had a matte dial. When I had it serviced I didn't understand the difference between dials. Only after discovering this forum, in April, 2019, did I learn about the world of Rolex watches. It's amazing, the knowledge that is available on TRF. Because the condition of the 16750, through normal wear, I still would have opted for the full service. I have another Rolex, A 2017 116660, I wear it a couple of times-a-month. I find the GMT is more practical.
Old 26 May 2019, 11:48 AM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCanyon View Post
Alwayshere, yes, it had a matte dial. When I had it serviced I didn't understand the difference between dials. Only after discovering this forum, in April, 2019, did I learn about the world of Rolex watches. It's amazing, the knowledge that is available on TRF. Because the condition of the 16750, through normal wear, I still would have opted for the full service. I have another Rolex, A 2017 116660, I wear it a couple of times-a-month. I find the GMT is more practical.
Its not a big deal for 99% of the ppl out there. The reality is that the service provides you with a fully working watch with minimal compromising parts.

The Rolex vintage purist will always opt to remain loyal to originality but again, thats a far smaller cohort. That said, I have a 16750 like you with a matte dial and love it but it rarely sees daylight.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:10 AM   #7
GrandCanyon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Its not a big deal for 99% of the ppl out there. The reality is that the service provides you with a fully working watch with minimal compromising parts.

The Rolex vintage purist will always opt to remain loyal to originality but again, thats a far smaller cohort. That said, I have a 16750 like you with a matte dial and love it but it rarely sees daylight.
Thank you. If I had known about the dial difference I may have asked for a replacement that was like the original, if the RSC had one in stock. I love my 16750 and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I bought it to celebrate a milestone in my life with the full intentions to use it, and I have. All the Best to You.
Old 4 June 2019, 04:48 AM   #8
MrRoundel
"TRF" Member

Hi,

I am reading this post with great interest because I am trying to find out if Slavick's was a Rolex authorized dealer in the eighties. Consider yourself lucky with your paperwork, GrandCanyon. I inherited a Rolex that my mom bought for my dad in 1983 from Slavick's, and there are three different serial numbers between the watch, the warranty card, and the card-holder. There are other interesting things that went on as well, from what I can tell.

So, do you, Grand Canyon, remember if Slavick's was an AD back when you bought the watch? Many thanks. Great looking watch!
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 05:41 AM   #9
Wngo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Was looking at birth year watches and ran into your post. What a lovely watch! It looks great.
Wngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 05:50 AM   #10
TurboTim14
"TRF" Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing !
TurboTim14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 05:54 AM   #11
GrandCanyon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
Hi,

I am reading this post with great interest because I am trying to find out if Slavick's was a Rolex authorized dealer in the eighties. Consider yourself lucky with your paperwork, GrandCanyon. I inherited a Rolex that my mom bought for my dad in 1983 from Slavick's, and there are three different serial numbers between the watch, the warranty card, and the card-holder. There are other interesting things that went on as well, from what I can tell.

So, do you, Grand Canyon, remember if Slavick's was an AD back when you bought the watch? Many thanks. Great looking watch!
Slavick's was an Authorized Rolex Dealer. When I bought the watch they has a wide selection (unlike today) at their City Industry Store. All my paperwork serial numbers match. At the time of purchase, I didn't know the significance of the GMT model, I bought it because I liked the appearance. Salvick's was like Ben Bridge today stores in large malls. There is no AD in that mall today.