The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 May 2018, 11:39 AM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
TRF is a reflection of the people who post; the people who post should not be an indictment of TRF as it changes from year-to-year as members evolve.

If you don't like the flavor of the posts lately, why not come up with interesting discussions or reflections that will enhance the Forum, rather than threads denigrating the membership (TRF) as a whole.
Personally I think these "click bait" threads especially BLNR Discontinued should be simply locked down. Basel is in the past now and the childish nonsense still continues. Really takes the forum in the wrong direction.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:49 AM   #32
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I agree w the notion that social media, FB being the prime example, for the most part sucks and is more evil than good. It’s hard for me to lump TRF in w other social media platforms though. Overall I think it’s a great group of people with diverse postings in all the different subforums. I just ignore the threads that seem boring (eg I get it, the new Pepsi isn’t exactly blue and red). But it provides useful information for those seeking it, from novice to long-time enthusiast, and is very entertaining. I mean this posted picture alone was worth the hour I’ve spent browsing TRF today !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR that suit does nothing for your girlish figure. You need to start wearing a 2 piece.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:51 AM   #33
Andad

Watch: A few.
Personally I give credibility to pledge members Larry.

If someone wants to complain about TRF then they should show support first.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:05 PM   #34
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
You can say that and help, without the “man up”...that’s condosending... another reason I’m disappointed with what TRF has become.

It’s turned from a group of watch enthusiasts to a bunch of condosending online personalities who know better than the next.

You want to help, don’t question their manhood with “man up.” Outside of the keyboard, I have manned up and see more in a year than you will in lifetime. You’re not challenging me Seth, you’re being condosending with man up. Again, you don’t like my venting, pass over it.

You want to help, do it without telling someone to grow a sack. Anyhow I’m done engaging you before the mods shut this down.

In the end, I know others feel the same. I felt like venting. Man up and deal with it.
Sorry bud. You lose a lot of credibility when you say anything like “I’ve seen more in a year than you've seen in a life”. That’s typical social media fluff. You’ve no idea what Ive seen. Same way I’ve no idea what you have seen.

What I do know is you've come here whining how the times have changed and TRF is ruined for you. In fact, Rolex is ruined for you.

You find TRF and my post condescending? And that’s what the problem is? Cmon. This is like kitties and puppies to Star Wars or car forums. Truth is the vast majority here are actually extremely polite. And my comment while aggressive, was not nearly as aggressive as yours.

You came here and made a blanket statement about how the community is ruined because you don’t like the theme of many of the posts. And you are upset about my telling you to “man up”.

Talk about SMH. And you are right, I should have just passed this thread up. I’ve been mostly good at that lately. I too have my complaints. But guess what, no one wants to hear my complaints either.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:29 PM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Thanks. In his full glory ....

Wow! A beautiful boxer boy! I have a 6 year old female. Best money I ever spent and that’s saying something when you add up the vet bills

Seth I burst out laughing at the notion of Star Wars forums. Of course they exist it makes perfect sense but thought of the heated debates that occur there really made my day
Old 20 May 2018, 05:33 PM   #36
Cru Jones

The forum has its ebbs and flows, but, long-term, it's not really that different. The same topics show up all the time.... one just has to filter.

I see you've been on TRF for just a couple of years. Maybe stick around a bit before making sweeping generalizations?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 05:54 PM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WHAT HAPPEN TO THE DAYS WHEN PEOPLE WERE ON HERE JUST TO ENJOY WATCHES? Share what they bought, compliment someone on their new incoming, discuss the pros and cons of a new reference, give pointers about Rolex I would have never known had I not joined like the proper GMT hand stack.

the buying experience has changed and the focus of a lot of the threads reflect this. Its about AD's and stock levels and where to buy etc. We are a mirror of what is happening and not the ones creating it. Send a letter to Rolex as they are more responsible for what we post about than the people posting.

Its like blaming the reporter for the earthquake as if somehow they are at fault that it happened because they are telling you about it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 06:10 PM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
It was bad for a few months with the Rolex price rants, but it’s smoothed out and getting back to normal.

The Patek forum sucks now with never ending aquanaut and nautilus threads crying about trying to get one for MSRP when nobody wanted one a year or two ago. Same for the 15202.
you are not wrong, however its almost exclusively brand new members or new to the brand people stopping by for 5 minutes to get help and then leaving again. I get more upset about feeling used than the fact they are asking the question.

Ill help anyone if i can, but im burned with just joined people and their hit and runs.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 May 2018, 08:07 PM   #39
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
TRF is a reflection of the people who post; the people who post should not be an indictment of TRF as it changes from year-to-year as members evolve.

If you don't like the flavor of the posts lately, why not come up with interesting discussions or reflections that will enhance the Forum, rather than threads denigrating the membership (TRF) as a whole.
Exactly

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 08:23 PM   #40
RHJ
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
all social media and forums are an offer:
read what you like, ignore what you don't.
but let others like what they like and think what they think.
there is everything here about watches and a lot more - and there is no advertising thanks pledgers.
a pretty good place here, aren't it?
Old 20 May 2018, 08:45 PM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Sorry bud. You lose a lot of credibility when you say anything like “I’ve seen more in a year than you've seen in a life”. That’s typical social media fluff. You’ve no idea what Ive seen. Same way I’ve no idea what you have seen.

What I do know is you've come here whining how the times have changed and TRF is ruined for you. In fact, Rolex is ruined for you.

You find TRF and my post condescending? And that’s what the problem is? Cmon. This is like kitties and puppies to Star Wars or car forums. Truth is the vast majority here are actually extremely polite. And my comment while aggressive, was not nearly as aggressive as yours.

You came here and made a blanket statement about how the community is ruined because you don’t like the theme of many of the posts. And you are upset about my telling you to “man up”.

Talk about SMH. And you are right, I should have just passed this thread up. I’ve been mostly good at that lately. I too have my complaints. But guess what, no one wants to hear my complaints either.
Yes, this place is generally very polite and respectful and fun and a haven in the midst of the wastes of SM, and if the OP finds these tame threads are ruining his watch life then he does indeed need to go away, and I agree that the OP started this inflammatory thread and then cried foul and how dare you when you rightly challenged him. He has exhibited the typical bait and snowflake switch that is too prevalent on SM now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 08:53 PM   #42
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Guess I need to disagree with the OP.

TRF is one of the few sites/forums that I am able to engage with like-minded individuals, and for that I am grateful.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:05 PM   #43
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I agree there is alot of valuation/investment and model hype going on right now, the good news is there are fewer ”Your Rolex and your toothbrush” threads now
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:23 PM   #44
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Re: TRF - the threads have titles. Read them. Problem solved.

Re: FB - make sure your “friends” are actually friends and not people you met once at a party 8 years ago and didn’t really like anyway. Set you filters appropriately. Use the “unfollow” function liberally. Problem solved.

Thank me later
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:37 PM   #45
sbardy69
"TRF" Member

I’ve been a member since 2008. I am a serial lurker. I love seeing how everyone else lives and reading posts about incoming pieces. The buying watches for investment and discontinued batman threads are getting a little old...But I’m still here lurking.
sbardy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:06 PM   #46
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
i think the forum is more about relationships and jokes than watches.

I agree with Seth. I would add if you want more of your kind of threads start them. I have a few personal rules I think apply:

1) don't measure yourself based on stature, success, wealth, piety/morals/values, accomplishments, intellect and so forth, or against others.
2) don’t be proud
3) don’t be ashamed
4) have fun and enjoy (even when things aren’t optimal)
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:11 PM   #47
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the buying experience has changed and the focus of a lot of the threads reflect this. Its about AD's and stock levels and where to buy etc. We are a mirror of what is happening and not the ones creating it. Send a letter to Rolex as they are more responsible for what we post about than the people posting.

Its like blaming the reporter for the earthquake as if somehow they are at fault that it happened because they are telling you about it.
Good thoughts Tyler. I know we are likely on opposite sides of the aisle as we say in DC but your thoughts, reasoning and knowledge are always interesting.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:20 PM   #48
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Wow! A beautiful boxer boy! I have a 6 year old female. Best money I ever spent and that’s saying something when you add up the vet bills

Seth I burst out laughing at the notion of Star Wars forums. Of course they exist it makes perfect sense but thought of the heated debates that occur there really made my day
that is a beautiful dog. have to get a collar like that for my spike, and to go look up star wars forums.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:40 PM   #49
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that TRF is great and many of the complaints voiced here are very true. The TRF over time has a tendency to go where the watch market is and with new releases and pricing. That does not mean that it is not interesting and informative. I believe what we seek we find. If you get frustrated with certain posts then don't look at them. If you are tired about what things cost or the lack of availability then don't look. The search function is great in that you can look up the things that you like and not have to look at what you don't. The TRF will continue to change as the watch life changes. Some good, some not so good. Enjoy TRF for what it is, not what you want it to be.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:54 PM   #50
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Most of the threads and posts on here are great. I gloss over or skip what does not interest me.

I have been a member here for over ten years and other than missing JJ love it as much now as I did then.

The grumbling and pricing threads are a reflection of the current climate. I too am guilty of them.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:16 PM   #51
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

Social media has ruined rolex for me just like it has ruined everything else in life I enjoy.
So... Your whole life is ruined? Wow, that’s very depressing.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:19 AM   #52
Brew
"TRF" Member

I know it's popular to bash social media in forums, but if you block the political stuff, it's all family, friends, puppies and watches!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:20 AM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
So... Your whole life is ruined? Wow, that’s very depressing.
The spoon made me fat. Ban spoons.

I cant fit into my suit now because of the spoon. Its ruined.

Old 21 May 2018, 12:47 AM   #54
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

My man, a buddy added me to a Star Wars group on Facebook.

It is the most vicious thing I’ve ever seen. Old school trilogy vs new movies. Some mixing a bit. But people attack like they are defending their families. Personal attack’s on looks, politics, sexuality, and basically anything else insulting that someone can dream up.

God forbid someone mentions that they like Star Trek. If you haven’t lost faith in our species yet, this group will do it for you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:09 AM   #55
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:27 AM   #56
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Can we bring back BC already?!? Miss that guy.

Also, beautiful boxer! Such good dogs. My son actually wants to get one.... he's only 4. How does he know these things?
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:31 AM   #57
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Thanks. In his full glory ....

antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:39 AM   #58
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Need a watch themed analogy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS.jpg (202.6 KB, 140 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:41 AM   #59
Brew
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, and at the risk of a further thread hijack, here is “Brew.”

Both dogs think I should spend less time reading forums and more time out in the woods with them. They are right.

Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:45 AM   #60
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
Can we bring back BC already?!? Miss that guy.

Also, beautiful boxer! Such good dogs. My son actually wants to get one.... he's only 4. How does he know these things?
just a provisional reinstatement to the after dark forum only

Personally thats where i think some of those fun threads should get moved to anyway instead of the trash