The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2018, 02:18 AM   #1
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Range Rover Advice

So I need a bit of help. Im getting a RR and that part is settled, i have test driven on several occasions, but nothing since about a year ago. Ive been in the UK and without a car for 8 years and i would like to have it when i return to the US so timing is key. UK test drives are not helpful and i dont even know how to drive here anyway. Obviously im going to fly back at some point to settle this before the move but have a couple questions as i know there are a lot of knowledgable car people here. Trying to handle some of the preliminary stuff over the phone is proving to be difficult.

1. I already know im going to have to order it as im very particular on color/options/features... so when i order what is the approximate lead time? Im currently about 8 months from a return to the US. Anyone have a ballpark? Not sure i really trust the salespeople as they always want me to buy right now the few times i have brought that question up in person and more recently dont seem to want to discuss over the phone and especially so since the sales guy i had met in person last year is no longer there so im basically a cold caller to them.

2. The Long Wheel base model is now a contender but that is the only one i have never test driven. Anyone know of any pros/cons to the long wheel base version? Its attractive to me because of the kids and i do NOT want a SUV with 3 rows of seats so this seems like a good compromise

The engine would be the same with either model (as far as i can tell) so its not a factor. And its the only vehicle i am considering, so option 3 isnt an option.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:27 AM   #2
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I have some advice; don't buy one. Haha

Beautiful trucks but I would never own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:29 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I have some advice; don't buy one. Haha

Beautiful trucks but I would never own one.

i knew that was coming. Its been my grail vehicle ever since the first time i ever saw one and then when i drove one for the first time many years later it was solidified. The heart wants what the heart wants and ive been riding the tube and train and bus for a really long time now
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #4
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i knew that was coming. Its been my grail vehicle ever since the first time i ever saw one and then when i drove one for the first time many years later it was solidified. The heart wants what the heart wants and ive been riding the tube and train and bus for a really long time now

they really are beautiful. The new one (Velar?) is really good looking. My wife loves them but she knows it would never happen.

Enjoy it, certainly a very nice looking truck, inside and out.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:36 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
if you are moving to miami or la they have every single configuration around. i would just call up local dealers and ask.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:38 AM   #6
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I need a bit of help. Im getting a RR and that part is settled, i have test driven on several occasions, but nothing since about a year ago. Ive been in the UK and without a car for 8 years and i would like to have it when i return to the US so timing is key. UK test drives are not helpful and i dont even know how to drive here anyway. Obviously im going to fly back at some point to settle this before the move but have a couple questions as i know there are a lot of knowledgable car people here. Trying to handle some of the preliminary stuff over the phone is proving to be difficult.

1. I already know im going to have to order it as im very particular on color/options/features... so when i order what is the approximate lead time? Im currently about 8 months from a return to the US. Anyone have a ballpark? Not sure i really trust the salespeople as they always want me to buy right now the few times i have brought that question up in person and more recently dont seem to want to discuss over the phone and especially so since the sales guy i had met in person last year is no longer there so im basically a cold caller to them.

2. The Long Wheel base model is now a contender but that is the only one i have never test driven. Anyone know of any pros/cons to the long wheel base version? Its attractive to me because of the kids and i do NOT want a SUV with 3 rows of seats so this seems like a good compromise

The engine would be the same with either model (as far as i can tell) so its not a factor. And its the only vehicle i am considering, so option 3 isnt an option.
Have you seen new Rolls Royce SUV?
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:38 AM   #7
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I special ordered my 2013 LR4. From the order (Dec 2012) to delivery (Feb 2013) was relatively fast, but there was a vehicle that the dealership had an open allotment for that they were about to configure anyway. Just gave that slot to me and let me choose all my options. Otherwise my old e46 M3 took longer (ordered May 2002 and delivered Nov 2002) as another point of reference although not a Rover...
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:48 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I can likely help.

I have an RRS Autobiography. And I love it. Drives incredibly well. No maintenance issues to speak of. Couple of quirks, but nothing worthy of discussion.

I’m just about at 15k miles. Only vehicle that has kept me engaged this long.

Mine took about 8 months to build. I didn’t even know the order was being put in. But 8 months after I had the discussion with my sales guy, and I just so happened to be looking again, he says “you are not going to believe what’s going to be delivered in two days”.

Drives great. Super smooth and the interior is fantastic.

I debated the FF, but this won out. I do not like the look of the extra long FF tho, so I was looking st the standard. Drove like a dream too. But both of them did. Not much difference in that regard. But the long wheelbase is a bit heavier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9B785A56-7F6B-46A1-847E-9BCED71EF202.jpeg (177.8 KB, 889 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:54 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
own one but also have a warranty. feel free to pm i have a lot to say on this.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:56 AM   #10
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
if you are moving to miami or la they have every single configuration around. i would just call up local dealers and ask.
No they don’t.
The 2018 redesign came out and 50% of lot inventory is spoken for.

Best luxury SUV’s in the market hands down.

If you have Rover questions DM me Tyler.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 03:00 AM   #11
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I can’t offer any specific help regarding RR, but don’t deal with salesmen. Reach out directly the sales manager or whoever is running the show.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 03:00 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I can likely help.

I have an RRS Autobiography. And I love it. Drives incredibly well. No maintenance issues to speak of. Couple of quirks, but nothing worthy of discussion.

I’m just about at 15k miles. Only vehicle that has kept me engaged this long.

Mine took about 8 months to build. I didn’t even know the order was being put in. But 8 months after I had the discussion with my sales guy, and I just so happened to be looking again, he says “you are not going to believe what’s going to be delivered in two days”.

Drives great. Super smooth and the interior is fantastic.

I debated the FF, but this won out. I do not like the look of the extra long FF tho, so I was looking st the standard. Drove like a dream too. But both of them did. Not much difference in that regard. But the long wheelbase is a bit heavier.
thanks... that 8 months is what is having me nervous. Im trying to avoid a long term rental when i get back as i have no car. So sounds like a trip back is in order sooner rather than later

aesthetically i prefer the standard length if kids was not a factor, but its better than a suburban or mini van hence why i am debating the functional difference and if it is even that big a difference inside. From the outside its a big visual difference

Great RRS you have there as well.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:01 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Houston
Old 21 May 2018, 03:04 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
own one but also have a warranty. feel free to pm i have a lot to say on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
No they don’t.
The 2018 redesign came out and 50% of lot inventory is spoken for.

Best luxury SUV’s in the market hands down.

If you have Rover questions DM me Tyler.
will do. Im so far removed from any practical knowledge of the US car market at this point im starting over from scratch basically.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:16 AM   #15
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Lease it.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 03:48 AM   #16
dmash
"TRF" Member

What’s up with the general hate towards Range Rover? Still have notorious reliability or what? I haven’t car shopped in 5 years, was just curious.

I’m actually REALLY looking forward to the Defender re-release. Might pick up another car in the next few years, that will be high on my list if it’s still got those amazing retro vibes.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 03:51 AM   #17
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
The last time I ordered a Land Rover it took 6-months from order to dealer. That’s here to California. Second, stay clear of the long wheelbase. Impossible to get rid of and tons used on the market. There’s a reason for that.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:02 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
The last time I ordered a Land Rover it took 6-months from order to dealer. That’s here to California. Second, stay clear of the long wheelbase. Impossible to get rid of and tons used on the market. There’s a reason for that.
not necessarily looking to get rid of it. The plan is a primary vehicle for a long time then either to the kids or to the montana backwoods as an offroad vehicle for the cabin in around 10 years. As by that point the plan is to spend more time there.

Besides resale any pros/cons of the usefulness of the LWB? 7 extra inches of legroom seems like a good practical advantage but is it worth any handling or aesthetic disadvantages? Aesthetically i already know i prefer it less than the standard, but it may be more practical. If its less good looking i can probably deal with it if it fits car seats and kids better. The Sport is already disqualified for this reason.

My nightmare is being a mini van dad so LWB is preferable to that if thats the tradeoff
Old 21 May 2018, 04:14 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Wow six months is much longer than I would’ve guessed. Typically cars from Germany take 60 days to east coast and Japan about 90 days.

I assume it’s just backlog of production?
Old 21 May 2018, 04:19 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Wow six months is much longer than I would’ve guessed. Typically cars from Germany take 60 days to east coast and Japan about 90 days.

I assume it’s just backlog of production?
they have told me anywhere from 3 to 12 any time i have been at the dealership... depending on how pushy they are feeling that day so i have no idea. Plus its hard to trust anything from someone who is trying to get you to commit right now.

I cant pick up early as i have no where to put it and not too late because i have nothing to drive. This giant window of uncertainty is crazy. i can deal with superlative chronometer certification +/-2 months. That is manageable +/- 1 is ideal
Old 21 May 2018, 04:54 AM   #21
Laszlo

Quote:
not necessarily looking to get rid of it. The plan is a primary vehicle for a long time then either to the kids or to the montana backwoods as an offroad vehicle for the cabin in around 10 years. As by that point the plan is to spend more time there.

Besides resale any pros/cons of the usefulness of the LWB? 7 extra inches of legroom seems like a good practical advantage but is it worth any handling or aesthetic disadvantages? Aesthetically i already know i prefer it less than the standard, but it may be more practical. If its less good looking i can probably deal with it if it fits car seats and kids better. The Sport is already disqualified for this reason.

My nightmare is being a mini van dad so LWB is preferable to that if thats the tradeoff

Totally get it! :)

Old 21 May 2018, 04:55 AM   #22
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
If I lived in Europe .. I'd have a Defender 90 ... we are neglected in the USA ...
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:14 AM   #23
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
If I lived in Europe .. I'd have a Defender 90 ... we are neglected in the USA ...
Exactly what I’m talking wanting. I just hope the re-release isn’t some modernized piece of hot garbage.
Old 21 May 2018, 05:19 AM   #24
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Exactly what I’m talking wanting. I just hope the re-release isn’t some modernized piece of hot garbage.
I believe it will be a hot piece of garbage.

The only Land Rover I would buy today is the FFRR and Disco 5.

Old 21 May 2018, 05:39 AM   #25
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I believe it will be a hot piece of garbage.

The only Land Rover I would buy today is the FFRR and Disco 5.
Laszlo stop it, first you are killing my shark dreams, now my Defender dreams too.

Real note though, I got a feeling they’re going to modernize it too much. Alas
Old 21 May 2018, 05:44 AM   #26
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I can’t comment on delivery times in USA but over the last 20 years I have owned seven Land Rover vehicles and currently have one of the last Defenders and a new FF Range Rover L405 (my second)

I have two teenagers and they have no problems in the back of the Range Rover, so can’t see the need for a long wheelbase.

I have had two RR Sports and no issues with space.

Of all these vehicles I have had no major warranty/reliability issues (though the previous RR had recurring smelly air conditioning from new that after many attempts LR never managed to cure)
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:03 AM   #27
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
My wife was told within 6 months of an order she would have a car. She was looking at the lwb full size autobiography. Sole reason was the third row, but she ended up getting a Mercedes instead.

Her reasoning for choosing one brand over the other has nothing really to do with the vehicle itself. As long as your covered by warranty......drive it like you stole it.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:06 AM   #28
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Laszlo stop it, first you are killing my shark dreams, now my Defender dreams too.

Real note though, I got a feeling they’re going to modernize it too much. Alas
Haha...

As for the upcoming Defender, McGovern said it won’t be anything like the original. Saw a spy shot somewhere and was bummed.

I think G Wagon next for me. A 500 or 550 would be nice.

Old 21 May 2018, 06:21 AM   #29
MARTIN1264
"TRF" Member

One word..... Warranty.
MARTIN1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:25 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
they have told me anywhere from 3 to 12 any time i have been at the dealership... depending on how pushy they are feeling that day so i have no idea. Plus its hard to trust anything from someone who is trying to get you to commit right now.

I cant pick up early as i have no where to put it and not too late because i have nothing to drive. This giant window of uncertainty is crazy. i can deal with superlative chronometer certification +/-2 months. That is manageable +/- 1 is ideal
Honestly worst case scenario month long SUV rentals are very affordable. Maybe 1k a month for a suburban.