The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2018, 07:22 AM   #61
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I’m American and I approve this comment

It’s kind of true though...I know so many people who’ve never visited anywhere but the 50 states (and maybe the Caribbean but that doesn’t even count) who honestly view Europe as the Wild West. I kind of facepalm at some of the things I hear them talk about regarding travel, but it is what it is.

None of my New York, LA or Miami friends would say ‘make sure you wear long sleeves when walking the streets here, don’t want to attract attention to your watch!’.....yet when an American visits a comparable city in Europe it’s a different story? Right
Same here. It's sad and pathetic but quite a few Americans are pretty xenophobic.

I'm not one of them though. I love to travel.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 07:47 AM   #62
run23
"TRF" Member

Good idea to wear high end watches on European Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwinGV View Post
I think my issue is that being on a cruise, one visits the tourist spots. IMO, that's different than strolling around Manhattan, London, etc. I guess that's the danger of posting... one needs to communicate well, and I can see where I wasn't specific enough. I mean, IMO (wrong??) Rome is different than visiting the Vatican or Coliseum. Athens is different than the Acroplis. Pompei is different than walking through Naples (yes I know they are miles apart)....

Fair enough. In my experience cruise ships dock in very tourist friendly places, typically with a bunch of high end shopping (like watches). Yeah, pickpockets are certainly an issue around tourist heavy places in Europe, and while I’ve had someone try to pick my pockets on several occasions in Rome, I’ve never had an issue with a watch.

YouTube videos of magicians aside, it’s pretty tough to get a watch off of someone’s wrist without their knowing if that person is even minimally aware of not being a victim. Stopping a pick pocket takes a little more awareness though and is best dealt with by making sure your wallet is very difficult to get at. When a woman basically falls into you and puts a baby into your arms, having someone go through your pockets isn’t that difficult. But getting a watch off of your wrist is much tougher. Not saying it never happens, but it would be on the bottom of the list of what I’d worry about in a tourist area. I’d be more concerned about someone on a moped ripping my camera off of my neck, which happened to a friend of mine in Florence (she didn’t let go right away and was dragged down the street for a bit but thankfully was ok). After all, for a thief a nice looking watch could be a fake or an $80 Invicta with no resale value, while a nice looking Nikon is almost always going to be worth something, and your wallet will typically have some cash and credit cards to make the robbery worth it.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:11 AM   #63
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Been to all the cities you mentioned and many others on three different cruises and wore a different Rolex on each cruise. My wife and I are planning on seeing Scotland, Ireland and England next year and we will both wear our Rolexes again.

As others have said, don't look like a victim and be aware of your general surroundings. Most of the time, you have to be back on the ship no later than 1700 hours. Much too early to get in trouble.

Have a great trip!
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:47 AM   #64
descartes
"TRF" Member

Just be careful in Barcelona.
You’ll be fine everywhere else.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:34 AM   #65
Richard6129
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
We visited Barcelona and Rome last summer. Both cities had a large and visible police presence in most "touristy" areas. As stated above, pickpockets are plentiful especially in Barcelona. As always, be aware of your surroundings and don't venture too far off the beaten path. I'll second not keeping your watch in your stateroom. Enjoy your trip!
Richard6129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:57 AM   #66
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Same here. It's sad and pathetic but quite a few Americans are pretty xenophobic.

I'm not one of them though. I love to travel.

What does the love for travel have to do with Xenophobia? I think they have a fear of being robbed not a fear or hatred of foreigners. There are unsafe places all over the world, just so happens that one or more of the places mentioned by the OP are tourist target areas.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:32 PM   #67
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
I wouldn't like to wear Rolex in these places based on pics below
Rome, near Termini Station

Berlin

NY
Old 24 May 2018, 04:22 AM   #68
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post

Berlin

NY
Who supports me with my desire to never see a "Is it safe to..." thread on this forum ever again?
Old 24 May 2018, 04:27 AM   #69
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post

What does the love for travel have to do with Xenophobia? I think they have a fear of being robbed not a fear or hatred of foreigners. There are unsafe places all over the world, just so happens that one or more of the places mentioned by the OP are tourist target areas.
im not saying this in a derogatory manner but its not that at all... its american exceptionalism that is the biggest issue. The idea that everywhere else is inherently inferior. When you have a tendency of looking at things in a better than/ worse than way then its only logical to conclude its less safe, less advanced, less free, less educated, less "american" etc.

I do not think its xenophobia or racism or anything else that is the root cause, but fundamentally how lots of people see the world. Its not overt and its probably not intentional but in the US there is a tendency to say "its the best" about a lot of stuff and then it gets applied to everything. In Europe people are proud but tend not to say they are better.

IMO its just a quirk of american culture. You cant really blame them any more than you can blame the british for their cultural differences. Its not intentional it is culture.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 04:43 AM   #70
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I wear mine and I am on a cruisenow
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 05:49 AM   #71
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im not saying this in a derogatory manner but its not that at all... its american exceptionalism that is the biggest issue. The idea that everywhere else is inherently inferior. When you have a tendency of looking at things in a better than/ worse than way then its only logical to conclude its less safe, less advanced, less free, less educated, less "american" etc.

I do not think its xenophobia or racism or anything else that is the root cause, but fundamentally how lots of people see the world. Its not overt and its probably not intentional but in the US there is a tendency to say "its the best" about a lot of stuff and then it gets applied to everything. In Europe people are proud but tend not to say they are better.

IMO its just a quirk of american culture. You cant really blame them any more than you can blame the british for their cultural differences. Its not intentional it is culture.
Oh, please, I ask a question and this percolates up? Come on? I'd ask this for any place that I wasn't familiar with US, France, China,... anywhere. This holier than thou attitude when asking a question about safety in a region is just, IMO,arrogant and closed minded. And yes, I get it. I live in metro Detroit and deal with similar questions/attitude pretty regularly. I just use it as an opportunity to inform, not to generalize. And for the record, I'm NOT sorry I asked.

And FOR THE RECORD, thanks to all that have chosen to actually answer my inquiry. Duly appreciated.
Old 24 May 2018, 06:33 AM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh, please, I ask a question and this percolates up? Come on? I'd ask this for any place that I wasn't familiar with US, France, China,... anywhere. This holier than thou attitude when asking a question about safety in a region is just, IMO,arrogant and closed minded. And yes, I get it. I live in metro Detroit and deal with similar questions/attitude pretty regularly. I just use it as an opportunity to inform, not to generalize. And for the record, I'm NOT sorry I asked.

And FOR THE RECORD, thanks to all that have chosen to actually answer my inquiry. Duly appreciated.
im not referring to you im referring to the countless threads as well as the responses where this topic comes up

No one bothers to ask "why" it always seems to be like this, and there is a reason for everything. Its better than saying its xenophobia which i don't think it is and what i was agreeing with when another poster also said it wasn't.

I am an American and i was raised with that so it is what it is. Of all the posts in this thread, the one pointing to an idea taught in schools as part of the curriculum as a likely explanation for a general view that the rest of the world is dangerous, and you get upset?

Im a pretty open minded guy. Ive left my home country and lived and traveled the world extensively and for many years now.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 May 2018, 06:48 AM   #73
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Where does one go to pick pocket school.

Seems these guys are making a fortune.

And if you don't want your watch to get stolen, listen to your mother and get your hands out of your pockets.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 07:15 AM   #74
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
im not referring to you im referring to the countless threads as well as the responses where this topic comes up

No one bothers to ask "why" it always seems to be like this, and there is a reason for everything. Its better than saying its xenophobia which i don't think it is and what i was agreeing with when another poster also said it wasn't.

I am an American and i was raised with that so it is what it is. Of all the posts in this thread, the one pointing to an idea taught in schools as part of the curriculum as a likely explanation for a general view that the rest of the world is dangerous, and you get upset?

Im a pretty open minded guy. Ive left my home country and lived and traveled the world extensively and for many years now.
Sorry, then. Your reply kind of pushed me over. I'm cool with folks opinions, joking or otherwise, about if/how I might wear a watch. I asked for that. I didn't ask for a social evaluation of the question.. or the replies. I get that it's an open forum.. so I responded. Yea, maybe a bit thin skinned on my part, but come on, I ask an innocent question.. one that I didn't see addressed recently or relevantly. I figured this is a great audience for this question as it has worldwide participation.. along with what appears to be knowledgeable people. I do consider myself fairly practical and I try to not prejudge... but I try to prepare for the unexpected.. especially, for me, non-routine situations/locations. So, sorry if I offended... but honestly, I never did recall you answering my question? You did agree with a poster that did, IMO, mischaracterize my question though.. He added, "I'm leaving America...." I never implied that I wouldn't have the same issue for a location in America. I do, but I'm not cruising to American ports. See my point?
Old 24 May 2018, 07:17 AM   #75
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, then. Your reply kind of pushed me over. I'm cool with folks opinions, joking or otherwise, about if/how I might wear a watch. I asked for that. I didn't ask for a social evaluation of the question.. or the replies. I get that it's an open forum.. so I responded. Yea, maybe a bit thin skinned on my part, but come on, I ask an innocent question.. one that I didn't see addressed recently or relevantly. I figured this is a great audience for this question as it has worldwide participation.. along with what appears to be knowledgeable people. I do consider myself fairly practical and I try to not prejudge... but I try to prepare for the unexpected.. especially, for me, non-routine situations/locations. So, sorry if I offended... but honestly, I never did recall you answering my question? You did agree with a poster that did, IMO, mischaracterize my question though.. He added, "I'm leaving America...." I never implied that I wouldn't have the same issue for a location in America. I do, but I'm not cruising to American ports. See my point?
Post #5
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...73&postcount=5
Old 24 May 2018, 07:25 AM   #76
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I hope no one finds this offensive, and if so, I'll try to delete.

Hoping not to offend.. just educate myself a bit. TIA.
Your first and last words of your original post.

You anticipated that some might get offended, why did you think they would?

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 08:09 AM   #77
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Everyone is offended by everything nowadays..
Old 24 May 2018, 08:32 AM   #78
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oops... Missed it. Truly sorry. I apologize.
Old 24 May 2018, 08:45 AM   #79
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Posts a picture where there is some trash, claims it’s unsafe.

Were you guys raised in a bubble with a silver spoon? Absolutely unbelievable
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:04 AM   #80
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
I guess the big thing as an American is you are used to being allowed to defend yourself, and may feel insecure in being forced to hand that responsibility over to the authorities.

My opinion is if you feel this would spoil your time don’t wear the watch.
Old 24 May 2018, 02:56 PM   #81
run23
"TRF" Member

Good idea to wear high end watches on European Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6129 View Post
As always, be aware of your surroundings and don't venture too far off the beaten path. I'll second not keeping your watch in your stateroom. Enjoy your trip!
Not trying to be a jerk (tone is often lost in emails), but I couldn't disagree more. Half the fun of travelling is venturing off the beaten path! Of course be aware of your surroundings, but life's way too short not be adventurous and explore, especially in a western European country.

Quote:
One of my favorite restaurants in Rome for cheap eats is near Termini, and I wouldn't hesitate to go there with both my Rolex and expensive Leica camera gear. A little garbage doesn't mean your going to get jumped and have your watch stolen (the woman on her cell with her friend doesn't look particularly scared about someone jumping out of the garbage and robbing her).
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote