The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 8 August 2017, 06:50 AM   #1
scavengerben
"TRF" Member

is Bob's Watches legit ?

Good Afternoon everyone who is reading this post, I am in the market to purchase my first rolex watch and have decided to buy a datejust. I did a simple google search of a rolex datejust on google and stumbled across bobs watches. I decided to click on the link and go thru the many different watches he has available on the website. Well to make the post short, i found a 1984-1985 rolex datejust 16030 with the automatic movement 3035. stainless steel case, comes with original rolex box, papers, booklet, and rolex service card from 04/28/16. the price is at least to me a steal right under $4,000 thats why i don't know if this website is legit, or maybe i just don't know the rolex prices haha. please let me know if you think this sounds like a legit site and or deal. thanks
scavengerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:54 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

$4,000 for a $2,500 watch.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:56 AM   #3
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum.

If you run "Bob's watches rolexforum" through the google machine, you'll get several links about Bob's watches. Good luck with your selection.

Also, since you're new, we have a for sale forum with lots of trusted sellers.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:56 AM   #4
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Generally thought of as a legit site but IMO usually high in prices. I have never bought from them, but they have been around a long time.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:57 AM   #5
dmash
"TRF" Member

1984 datejust for $4000 is a 'steal'
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:57 AM   #6
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
look through the classified here on TRF to compare pricing.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:58 AM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
1984 datejust for $4000 is a 'steal'
Yes, for Bob.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

Bob's is legit, but high priced. The for sale section here on forum can give you some prices to compare to Bob's. Do some research before you purchase. Don't buy on impulse, you might find something much better here on the forum!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 06:58 AM   #9
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
High prices and they buy watches at low prices..... but their watches are authentic if that’s what your trying to get at or figure out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:01 AM   #10
StevieWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Bob's is legit, but high priced. The for sale section here on forum can give you some prices to compare to Bob's. Do some research before you purchase. Don't buy on impulse, you might find something much better here on the forum!
Sound advice
StevieWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:02 AM   #11
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Yes they are legit but over priced.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:04 AM   #12
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

I personally would go the trusted seller route and browse the classifieds, a lot of great variety to choose from for your first Rolex and I would argue better pricing. You might change your mind on which model should be your first Rolex!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:05 AM   #13
scavengerben
"TRF" Member

Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't think i would get this many responses in a matter of minutes :thumbs: since i have never purchased anything thru a forum, how does it usually work out in terms of payment.
scavengerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:07 AM   #14
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Yes, for Bob.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:28 AM   #15
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I would rather buy from a trusted seller from this forum.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:38 AM   #16
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Just say no
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:51 AM   #17
tiberiustime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Platinum
I've bought a couple from them and have been satisfied. Their prices are indeed higher than most, but not exorbitantly so, and with the protections of their guarantee on authenticity and warranty. Also I much prefer the ability to pay with a credit card.

However, they do not offer free return shipping (inconsistent with some of their competitors). Have returned items twice and found that annoyingly pricey.

I would not sell to them, though -- their prices are a good clip below what could be attained with a little more effort elsewhere.
tiberiustime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 08:29 AM   #18
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Since this is your first rolex it might not be a bad idea to go to an AD and try on some pieces that you are interested in. I always like to gauge pieces on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 10:01 AM   #19
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavengerben View Post
Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't think i would get this many responses in a matter of minutes :thumbs: since i have never purchased anything thru a forum, how does it usually work out in terms of payment.

Usually a trusted seller will ask for a bank wire in the full amount. You get the watch the next day via Fed Ex.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 11:53 AM   #20
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkali168 View Post
High prices and they buy watches at low prices..... but their watches are authentic if that’s what your trying to get at or figure out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like the old lullaby my grandfather used to sing to me. Buy low, sell high. They tried to steal a watch from me that they had on their website retail for 2.5x the price without the box/papers. But come to find out most of the "trusted sellers" are all the same.

That is most certainly Bobs business model, but they are legit from an authenticity standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 01:31 PM   #21
lahainabry
"TRF" Member

Yeah, not the place you want to purchase from, in my opinion.
lahainabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 01:11 PM   #22
Rolex_Luther07
"TRF" Member

From what I've seen, the classifieds on here aren't offering any better prices than Bob's, but I have no personal experience dealing with them. I should quote him, but to the guy above, I haven't seen any Datejusts in the condition you would want from the 80's on this forum for $2,500. Certainly not with the original bracelet. Just don't sell a watch to them if you don't have to.
Rolex_Luther07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 10:16 PM   #23
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavengerben View Post
If you need help with some trusted sellers go to who's who sub forum here in the classifieds and do research and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the quality of some sellers.

If you need help you can PM me. And by the way your in Houston and if like to talk to a local Texan takuyais is top notch and maybe set up a face to face he might have what you'd like. And he's one of the best to deal with during and after if there was ever an unlikely issue.

Good luck and I hope you find your watch
Old 26 August 2017, 11:39 PM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Bob's sells authentic Rolex watches. There price is on the high side, like most brick and mortar stores. The "trusted sellers" aren't paying store rent, wages for staff, and other expenses and can offer watches much cheaper than a store. Compare Bob's prices to another B&M store like Govberg - https://www.govbergwatches.com/produ...owned-watches/

Be careful not to assume all sellers on the TRF sales forum are trusted. Only a handful are truly trusted, and they specialize in modern watches. For vintage watches, take a look at HQ Milton https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/vintage-rolex
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:23 AM   #25
Pbw002
"TRF" Member

Bob's Watches selling review

I would not recommend Bob's Watches if you are selling a watch. They pulled what I would consider a bait and switch on me. I sent high res pictures and model and serial number and they offered me $7000 knowing that the watch had a 3rd party bezel and diamonds and did not have the box and paperwork. When they received my watch they gave me a lowball offer of $5800 citing the bezel that they already knew about, and subtracting for missing band link, non origional pins, saying crown and stem needed service and cleaning. To their credit, they did return my watch, but I was not pleased with the experience.
Pbw002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 11:00 AM   #26
WhatAboutBob's
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Negative experience with Bob's Watches

They are very quick to respond when you contact them about getting a quote for your Rolex. That's where the positive dealings with Bob's ends. I was considering selling them one of my Date Just watches, and purchasing another watch from them. I took my watch to the Rolex retailer where I had purchased it, so they could tell me what condition it was in prior to sending it to Bob's. I was told the watch was in perfect working order, with just a few scratches on the back of the case. I have purchased 3 Rolex watches from my jeweler, so I trust what he said was true. Long story short, I sent the watch to Bob's, they come back with it needed a complete overhaul, new crystal, yada, yada, yada. I would not recommend them to anyone who is looking to sell or trade their Rolex. Also, the communication with the them is awful, after their initial contact. Perhaps your experience with them would be different if you are a Buyer(?) IDK. Big thumbs down for Bob's.
WhatAboutBob's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 11:14 AM   #27
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
For about another grand and a half you can get one almost brand new from our trusted sellers here and within Rolex warranty period more than likely. I would NEVER pay that much for a 1980s Rolex Steel Datejust

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 05:42 AM   #28
feckman
"TRF" Member

I have a quick addition to what I realize is an old thread. My experience with Bob's Watches was mediocre at best. Their pricing on pre-owned watches was substantially higher than, say, purchasing from a trusted seller here. I justified the additional cost by assuming that a company who makes their name on selling high-quality pre-owned Rolexes wouldn't let something substandard out the door. Big mistake.

My watch -- an Explorer II 216570 -- did arrive quickly and safely, but unfortunately the crystal had been replaced (not disclosed) and was installed off-kilter. The cyclops date lens was closer to 4:00 than 3:00. Aside from making me wonder what happened to the watch to require crystal replacement, the fact that such a glaring error made it past whatever quality assurance they have in-house makes me question the watch entirely. I know it happens, but I'm not buying a toaster here. This is an expensive luxury item, and I expect it to be right.

When contacted, their solution was to send it back for a crystal replacement and wait however long to get it back.

No thanks -- I'll return it for a refund and be patient, keeping my eye out for something here. Worst-case scenario, a brand-spanking new one is less than $1000 more from an AD. Not chump change, but I'm feeling more and more worthwhile for the piece of mind alone.

Just my $.02.
feckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 05:43 AM   #29
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Pay a bit more get a new one
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 01:03 AM   #30
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I'm reading into this because I too am wondering about BoB's Watches! Prices seem higher but...
im looking for a certain Rolex and the prices at Bob's and DavidSW are the about the same price as the sellers on here! Sometimes the sellers on here are higher and really proud about the price they are selling it, they knock off a 100 bucks, but still not the price I want to buy and Bob's supposedly are legit without question ( you still never really sure unless you buy new. I just find the new ones too heavy for the wrist. Ive been looking for this watch since I first got on this forum.
just saying....
L
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote