The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 July 2018, 02:07 AM   #1
bloke1
"TRF" Member

6694 Slow Date Change

I've got this 6694 circa 73' with caliber 1225.

I noticed that the date actually start changing gradually around 11.20++ and ticks into place around 12.00.

Is this normal? I thought all Rolexes are supposed to change instantly at 12midnight.
bloke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Mine changes at midnight! Might need a service, or just a cleaning! Mine is from 65’
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 01:40 AM   #3
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Take the caseback off, pull the stem, remove the movement, pull the hands, remove the dial. Date change mechanism is right there. adjust the springs, put it back together. If you never have done this before - take it to your favorite watch maker.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 11:45 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It's not a quick change date like a later date just. I don't mean quickset, I mean quick change. It doesn't have the same mechanism, so you won't see it "snap" like you do with a calendar wheel with a cam and spring yoke and jewel. It's a completely different kind of operation. What you are describing is normal for 1215

1225 calibres.

On this watch, the calendar wheel has a pawl pin that comes around once in 24 hours and engages one of the sharp teeth on the "date star" on the underside of the date disc. Opposite of that the jumper spring will snap and hold it in place once the pawl has pulled it into place. You see the disc begin to move as the pawl enters

the teeth on the star wheel and progress forward as it slowly turns.

The early calendars work this way. Early 7xx series up to 1035. 11xx series also.

You get the snapping calendar beginning in the 1065 and 1066 and then of course in the 15xx movements on up in the full size. Those use the open calendar disc without the "star wheel" and use a calendar wheel that uses a snapping cam and spring yoke that push the date disc a much further distance utilizing much larger

"teeth" or gaps really on the date disc, right at midnight and the more powerful jumper spring helps that operation and secures the number in the proper place in the date window.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 06:44 PM   #5
bloke1
"TRF" Member

Thanks R.W.T.

You are right. I've seen some videos on youtube on setting the date and they all seem to behave like that. No date snapping.
bloke1 is offline   Reply With Quote