The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 July 2018, 12:15 AM   #1
pozer
"TRF" Member

1st Post! Question about dials and hands...

So I'm in the hunt for a 1016 and always ask if the dial and hands are original to the watch. My question is this: how can an expert tell the difference, and can a layman discern a service dial with a photo?

I can readily identify non-matching dial and hands regarding the aging but feel like I just need to take the dealer's word for it regarding originality.

Thanks!
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 06:54 AM   #2
pozer
"TRF" Member

And a follow up question to all the responses: I noticed a variety of hand lengths - some touching the minute indices, some short of it, some covering. What's up with this?
Old 7 July 2018, 08:51 AM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My suggestion is to narrow your search to only trusted vintage sellers on TRF. You might reach out to them via PM to see what they might source for you with originality as your first priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 09:05 AM   #4
05carbondrz
Banned

If You have a vintage Dealer search out a Piece for You the outcome will be You overpaying.It’s better to take it slow and do research all the while looking at as many 1016’s as possible.In my opinion this is the fun part,YMMV.Some will counter with “why waste your Time” or “It’s too risky” but diving deep into a Reference is awesome when you finally land the right piece.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 10:01 AM   #5
waspy1
Banned

You are quite right about hand lengths. Many of the service hands you’ll see are too short. The original minute hands should be significantly longer. I believe the shorter hands are Submariner hands which have been used since the supply of 1016 hands have pretty much dried up. Have a good look of dials on vintagerolexforum dial archive to determine what is correct for the given year. Good luck, good ones are getting very few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 02:37 AM   #6
pozer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
You are quite right about hand lengths. Many of the service hands you’ll see are too short. The original minute hands should be significantly longer. I believe the shorter hands are Submariner hands which have been used since the supply of 1016 hands have pretty much dried up. Have a good look of dials on vintagerolexforum dial archive to determine what is correct for the given year. Good luck, good ones are getting very few and far between.

Very interesting - that the short hands could be service hands. The watch I'm looking at is right on the edge of being too short, with the second hand nearly touching the minute index. The hands and dial look consistently aged to me and it's a very reputable dealer. If I could post a link, I would and will. Many thanks.
Old 8 July 2018, 12:12 PM   #7
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozer View Post
Very interesting - that the short hands could be service hands. The watch I'm looking at is right on the edge of being too short, with the second hand nearly touching the minute index. The hands and dial look consistently aged to me and it's a very reputable dealer. If I could post a link, I would and will. Many thanks.

I’d expect that both the minute and second hand should touch the minute markers around the edge of the dial. Depending on the angle which the pics have been taken can affect how this appears. Pics should be taken face on.

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 12:22 AM   #8
pozer
"TRF" Member

Thanks - I've looked through as many 1969-1972 1016s and the hands length looks fine, but definitely shorter than earlier or later watches. With the stars being aligned, you'll see the new watch day post in Vintage later this week...