The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2019, 04:52 PM   #31
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
A very small percentage of the Rolex range retains value. Nothing ladies and most Pm drop like a new car the moment you buy it.
not true anymore on the PM models. now most of them retain their value, some even go up.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 07:45 PM   #32
Mike Jab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchview View Post
Off of one of the side streets on the west end there is a shop with a fake wall in the back leading upstairs, with drawers and drawers of $50 watches.
On your posts so far, 95% is off point. Rolex has always been a recognized brand and people were buying it regardless of value retention. It's flippers and "influencers" who are brainwashing the sheep nowadays triggering this madness.
If you are buying a watch for investment purposes, i think you are on the wrong forum, no offense meant.
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 07:59 PM   #33
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
As a sidenote, and I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble here, but...

Ferrari claims this stuff, and it's really great marketing, but there's extensive evidence that they always produce far more than the X99 they claim. :) It's also the reason why they never number their cars (i.e., 238/399).

Well known "issue" amongst Ferrari collectors. None of us care, of course, because the cars are quite awesome, and mostly retain or gain value. But still, it's great marketing for the commoners, but it's a lie. A complete lie.
Lie is such a nasty word.

Creative numbering is so much nicer.

As the owner of a 16M and having set up a register of cars (with help from Ferrari) I can agree with the general claim in the post and also add that with each iteration the 'creative numbering has got worse' - 16M < 599GTO < 599Aperta < SpecialeAperta etc etc. I guess this is due to increasing customer pressure.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 08:55 PM   #34
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
As a sidenote, and I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble here, but...

Ferrari claims this stuff, and it's really great marketing, but there's extensive evidence that they always produce far more than the X99 they claim. :) It's also the reason why they never number their cars (i.e., 238/399).

Well known "issue" amongst Ferrari collectors. None of us care, of course, because the cars are quite awesome, and mostly retain or gain value. But still, it's great marketing for the commoners, but it's a lie. A complete lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Lie is such a nasty word.

Creative numbering is so much nicer.

As the owner of a 16M and having set up a register of cars (with help from Ferrari) I can agree with the general claim in the post and also add that with each iteration the 'creative numbering has got worse' - 16M < 599GTO < 599Aperta < SpecialeAperta etc etc. I guess this is due to increasing customer pressure.
The same happens with Patek too. There are rumours that Patek still produce pieces such as 5070P, 5711/1P, past limited edition pieces for their top clients, obviously due to increasing customer pressure.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 09:09 PM   #35
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
The same happens with Patek too. There are rumours that Patek still produce pieces such as 5070P, 5711/1P, past limited edition pieces for their top clients, obviously due to increasing customer pressure.
Were either of those limited editions? (assuming you mean 5711/1P 010)
Old 9 August 2019, 09:19 PM   #36
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Were either of those limited editions? (assuming you mean 5711/1P 010)
What I meant was pieces such as regular production 5070P, 5711/1P 010 and certain other past limited edition pieces (such as advanced research pieces, pieces produced for exhibitions etc).
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 09:23 PM   #37
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
What I meant was pieces such as regular production 5070P, 5711/1P 010 and certain other past limited edition pieces (such as advanced research pieces, pieces produced for exhibitions etc).
Gotcha.