The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 August 2020, 05:52 AM   #121
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Simple question! Apparently your not getting too many simple answers. Im sure you know your son better than any strangers. 15 yr olds grow fast.. Leaving unwanted first world problems aside I say check out a DJ41 black dial, smooth bezel on oyster bracelet, that will give more of a sporty than dressy, blingy look, Its a perfect 'GADA' piece that he'll grow into and will grow with him. Its actually 39.8mm. I have the same except a Wimbledon dial, works great with my collection, very comfortable on the wrist as well..
Happy Hunting and of course just a suggestion from personal experience, there are many more nice choices as well...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 05:54 AM   #122
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
then again, put a Rolex and a iPhone watch on the table and see which one he picks up? HA!.....
Old 14 August 2020, 05:59 AM   #123
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 06:15 AM   #124
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
15 year old... I think not. When he's finished with his education and graduates from college then he earned a Rolex. Gotta teach him things don't come easy in life and you have to work hard for everything you get. If you spoil him now you're going to be supporting him for the rest of your life..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 06:16 AM   #125
javier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Seiko.
This
Old 14 August 2020, 06:29 AM   #126
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

I would consider a Tudor, Tag or Oris instead.

Just don't think a Rolex is right for a 15 year old kid.
Old 14 August 2020, 06:32 AM   #127
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
G-Shock
No, this.

Rolex? It's like tying a steak around a kids neck and sending him to the wolves.
Old 14 August 2020, 06:39 AM   #128
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
No, this.

Rolex? It's like tying a steak around a kids neck and sending him to the wolves.
Apparently Dad doesn't think so.
Old 14 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #129
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
How is he prepared to defend himself when he is surrounded by a group of bullies and they beat him into the ground and take the watch off his wrist? Obviously you haven't thought things through very well.
I’m pretty sure the OP thought this through quite a bit. Im so sick of all these pessimistic people making obnoxious comments. I bought my son a GMT for his bar mitzvah and taught him to understand and appreciate how special this gift was. Initially he wore it only on special occasions and as he grew older started to wear it more often like on weekends. Once he went to college it became his daily watch. I don’t think the OP would let his son wear the watch in situations where it might be apt to be stolen.

Back to the OPs original question. I would get him something larger in the 40mm range like an Explorer II or a Sub.
Old 14 August 2020, 06:45 AM   #130
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
He would love the bluesy
Old 14 August 2020, 06:56 AM   #131
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
I’m pretty sure the OP thought this through quite a bit. Im so sick of all these pessimistic people making obnoxious comments. I bought my son a GMT for his bar mitzvah and taught him to understand and appreciate how special this gift was. Initially he wore it only on special occasions and as he grew older started to wear it more often like on weekends. Once he went to college it became his daily watch. I don’t think the OP would let his son wear the watch in situations where it might be apt to be stolen.
I graduated from the school of hard knocks and my common sense may be different from yours but it certainly isn't what I consider "pessimistic". They are just opinions and they shouldn't make you "sick".

Giving a 15 year old a highly prized possession that sticks out like a sore thumb.. in my mind makes no sense. Not only for safety of the child but what's the point? At 15 I was jumping out of trees and rough housing with buds.. I don't know.. maybe OP's kid has body guards, goes to a private school and doesn't enjoy rough housing. In general, I don't think it's a good idea under what I consider normal circumstances.
Old 14 August 2020, 06:58 AM   #132
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckobros View Post
i graduated from the school of hard knocks and my common sense may be different from yours but it certainly isn't what i consider "pessimistic". They are just opinions and they shouldn't make you "sick".

Giving a 15 year old a highly prized possession that sticks out like a sore thumb.. In my mind makes no sense. Not only for safety of the child but what's the point? At 15 i was jumping out of trees and rough housing with buds.. I don't know.. Maybe op's kid has body guards, goes to a private school and doesn't enjoy rough housing. In general, i don't think it's a good idea under what i consider normal circumstances.
+1

Well said
Old 14 August 2020, 06:59 AM   #133
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
First of all, is it safe to assume that your kid wants a Rolex? Or even a watch?

My son is a teenager and he uses my watch from time to time. But like many things in life, there’s a time and place and he exercises good judgement. Dinner with friends? Sure!
Going to the beach or hanging out at the mall? He knows he doesn’t need a nice watch.
FWIW my son doesn’t like to wear Rolex because of the attention it gets. He actually likes my Hamilton.

Old 14 August 2020, 06:59 AM   #134
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I graduated from the school of hard knocks and my common sense may be different from yours but it certainly isn't what I consider "pessimistic". They are just opinions and they shouldn't make you "sick".

Giving a 15 year old a highly prized possession that sticks out like a sore thumb.. in my mind makes no sense. Not only for safety of the child but what's the point? At 15 I was jumping out of trees and rough housing with buds.. I don't know.. maybe OP's kid has body guards, goes to a private school and doesn't enjoy rough housing. In general, I don't think it's a good idea under what I consider normal circumstances.
No kidding. Perhaps I should buy my 14 year old daughter a 25K Birkin handbag, and a Ferrari when she turns 16. Jeebus!
Old 14 August 2020, 07:00 AM   #135
ShawnK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
My son was bitten with the watch-bug at an early age. He worked for several summers and saved enough to buy a gently used Seadweller (before 5 digit sport models started hitting five figures in price) and bought his first Rolex at 17. Not much older than your son. He wore it carefully, didn’t take it to school and still treasures that watch today (he will be 30 this year). Point is...every young man is different, and only you know your son and whether he would appreciate the watch.

But as to your ACTUAL question, I think the 36mm OP is a great choice. Flies under the radar with no date bubble, and IMHO is still the perfect size for gentleman’s watch. Goes with a suit or a pair of jeans. I’m particularly fond of the steel dial.

I’m over 50 and have a 6 3/4” wrist and I think the 36mm (116000 with the broader lugs) doesn’t wear small and I think it will always be a classic size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9DED2843-3FC1-4F8C-AA6B-E954C6ED1606.jpeg (104.9 KB, 203 views)
Old 14 August 2020, 07:05 AM   #136
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Is there one in your collection that you don’t wear often and might give to him as one of yours? This way it gives the watch some import and builds the connection between your collection and his.

Then treat yourself to what you want next!

Old 14 August 2020, 07:05 AM   #137
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
No kidding. Perhaps I should buy my 14 year old daughter a 25K Birkin handbag, and a Ferrari when she turns 16. Jeebus!

If OP's kid is into comics the Hulk or Batman could be good suggestions
Old 14 August 2020, 07:06 AM   #138
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Why does 15 yr. old need Rolex? buy him a Apple watch or Casio/Seiko.
Old 14 August 2020, 07:10 AM   #139
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tek44 View Post
Why does 15 yr. old need Rolex? buy him a Apple watch or Casio/Seiko.

Why do we need a Rolex? Nobody needs a watch, we have phones. those that need one don’t need a watch that costs north of 6k on the cheap.

I think the OP or the explorer are perfect. I knew kids with nice watches when i was that age. I almost bought a sub when i was 16 with my own money. I don’t see why anyone would care. IMO, set the kid up for success and when he realizes how hard it is to make 5k, he will appreciate the watch even more. Maybe it drives him to a successful career so he can afford nice things in the future. IMO, this is no different then a parent buying their kid a nice car for their 16th birthday.

Old 14 August 2020, 07:17 AM   #140
Dom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, FPJ
I would go for a submariner. You are close to the water, makes sense. If not, consider the Milgaus. Oth would be watches that he can appreciate a life time and add to later.
Old 14 August 2020, 07:20 AM   #141
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Does he like or appreciate watches at all? One of my boys doesn't care, one does... If there is no interest, I doubt it would be appreciated at 15. Perhaps later, with some life and experience under his belt.
Old 14 August 2020, 07:22 AM   #142
downtorock
2024 Pledge Member

I bought my own Rolex at 14 and it was a pre-owned Air King.

Old 14 August 2020, 07:22 AM   #143
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:

The point is the OP didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion on whether or not the gift was appropriate. He simply asked which watch would be best. The problem is that now a days everyone’s got to add there .02 cents regardless of whether or not they are actually contributing to answering the question at hand. This mentality that’s been fostered with the rise of social media is going to be the downfall of our country.
Old 14 August 2020, 07:26 AM   #144
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
What Rolex would be ideal for a 15-year-old boy?

1.Oyster Perpetual 36mm

2.Explorer 114270 36mm

3.Datejust 36mm

Any other ideas?

He's a responsible guy who appreciates the world of watches and knows the value of a Rolex. I don't expect to be given any kind of morality, behavior or how to educate young people. Thank you
Ask his parents.
Old 14 August 2020, 07:33 AM   #145
VK1984
"TRF" Member

From your list definitely the 114270. Classic watch, great history and people who don’t know what it is really wouldn’t notice it. I wouldn’t worry about the 36mm size unless your son particularly large wristed. 36mm is just fine.
Old 14 August 2020, 07:38 AM   #146
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
On your list: Explorer

Not on your list: Explorer ll

Old 14 August 2020, 07:48 AM   #147
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Don’t see why there is so much opposition to gifting him a watch.

It’s just a watch at the end of the day.

It’s been a while since I was in Gran Canaria, but it’s a lovely little island.

To your question OP - an exp1 would be a wonderful gift.

Beats a throw away games console or phone which will be obsolete in a year.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 14 August 2020, 07:53 AM   #148
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
The point is the OP didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion on whether or not the gift was appropriate. He simply asked which watch would be best. The problem is that now a days everyone’s got to add there .02 cents regardless of whether or not they are actually contributing to answering the question at hand. This mentality that’s been fostered with the rise of social media is going to be the downfall of our country.

Good point. Guilty as charged. Although my comment wasn’t judgmental. But it also didn’t answer his question.
But as far as what watch that’s a question that none of us can answer. It’s like asking which watch to get for your wife.
But if I have to pick the I would say Explorer because the other ones seem too dressy.

Old 14 August 2020, 07:56 AM   #149
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Fortunately I don't live in the suburbs of Detroit, Oakland, Ciudad Juárez or Tijuana. Have you ever thought that I could live in a city where crime is almost insignificant?
Anything can happen anywhere.....And look at the Reactions the idea is getting here amongst adults.....why put your son in that position....let him buy his own ....he will surely appreciate its worth more.
I think this is sometimes a case of Parents wanting to show of more than anything.....at the end of the day though its your kid and your brass
Old 14 August 2020, 08:04 AM   #150
BartM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
OP 36 blue dial
15 years is old enough to understand the value of this gift. At that age I already had my own business. If your boy likes mechanical watches, buy him the Rolex.
Closed Thread