The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 June 2015, 03:42 AM   #1
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

5205 dial swap, value impact?

In a recent thread, a fellow TRF member said he had a dial color swap on his 5205. I might be interested in doing the same for a 5205 that I plan to purchase. Since Patek would not change the certificate after a dial swap, do you believe this would impact the value of the watch in any way? As the dial swap would be performed by Patek itself, I believe the value of the watch should not be affected, but I wonder what your views are.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2015, 03:45 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ WA View Post
In a recent thread, a fellow TRF member said he had a dial color swap on his 5205. I might be interested in doing the same for a 5205 that I plan to purchase. Since Patek would not change the certificate after a dial swap, do you believe this would impact the value of the watch in any way? As the dial swap would be performed by Patek itself, I believe the value of the watch should not be affected, but I wonder what your views are.
It would bother me as a buyer. If both were the same price, I'm buying the one without the dial swap. Unless you can keep the other dial, which I presume you cannot.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2015, 04:24 AM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I think it will marginally affect the re-sale value. Why not buy the one with the dial you like?
Old 18 June 2015, 05:38 AM   #4
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
I think it will marginally affect the re-sale value. Why not buy the one with the dial you like?
'Very' difficult to decide. Love both the G models. I could easily regret my choice right after picking one.
Old 18 June 2015, 05:57 AM   #5
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ WA View Post
'Very' difficult to decide. Love both the G models. I could easily regret my choice right after picking one.

I hear you. I like the black dial more but the legibility on the gray is so much better....

My solution = buy the 5205r black dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 June 2015, 06:27 AM   #6
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
I hear you. I like the black dial more but the legibility on the gray is so much better....

My solution = buy the 5205r black dial

This
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2015, 06:29 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Hmmm.... interesting topic

If the cost a new dial is 2K (a recent quote) and that is the difference in the resale then it is what it is and in the scheme of the price of the watch it may not be that big of a deal.

ps in some cases it will also require a hands swap.

Old 18 June 2015, 06:36 AM   #8
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I prefer to keep everything all original.
AP offers the same option and I considered it years ago but ended up selling what I had for an all original dial variation that I wanted more.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2015, 07:39 AM   #9
el1125
Banned

Once changes are made from original factory future value usually decreases
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2015, 07:40 AM   #10
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
This
Agree
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2015, 11:33 AM   #11
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
It'll make it a franken watch.. Don't do it. Significant value hit...
Old 18 June 2015, 02:34 PM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

With Rolex watches, a lot of people swap the dial and it is not a big deal.

However Patek watches are in a different category. Patek watch owners/collectors are more particular about their watches and most want original condition. If a dial was damaged and needed to be replaced, that is one thing. If I knew a Patek watch dial was swapped, I would not buy it knowing that in advance. I would question what else was swapped inside. For vintage Patek watches, a watch with parts that are not in original condition takes a huge hit on the market price. As for modern watches like the 5205, who knows how they will be looked at 20-30 years from now.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2015, 11:53 PM   #13
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I was the owner that the OP is referring to.

I purchased a 5205G with the darker dial when it was 1st released back in 2010.

The darker was great and I loved it, but after a couple of years, I noticed that I struggled with the legibility of the dial & hands.

Unfortunately, somehow I caught one of the pushers which elongated it, causing the pusher to get stuck when depressed.

So, I sent the watch back to the UK service centre and after discussion with then via my AD, they agreed to replace the dial & hands. The cost if memory serves me correctly was in the region of £1,000 and naturally they held onto the old bits!!

I have to say that reading the time was hugely improved.

Eventually, I sold the watch to a grey dealer who I don't think devalued if any. Though of course the certificate showed it as having the darker dial.

I would guess, that from experience & knowledge, that if the Patek is not 100% than you can expect to sell it at a slightly slow price.

That said, you should get a detailed report from Patek via your AD. And hopefully they would have amended their records!
Old 21 June 2015, 01:19 AM   #14
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
I was the owner that the OP is referring to.

I purchased a 5205G with the darker dial when it was 1st released back in 2010.

The darker was great and I loved it, but after a couple of years, I noticed that I struggled with the legibility of the dial & hands.

Unfortunately, somehow I caught one of the pushers which elongated it, causing the pusher to get stuck when depressed.

So, I sent the watch back to the UK service centre and after discussion with then via my AD, they agreed to replace the dial & hands. The cost if memory serves me correctly was in the region of £1,000 and naturally they held onto the old bits!!

I have to say that reading the time was hugely improved.

Eventually, I sold the watch to a grey dealer who I don't think devalued if any. Though of course the certificate showed it as having the darker dial.

I would guess, that from experience & knowledge, that if the Patek is not 100% than you can expect to sell it at a slightly slow price.

That said, you should get a detailed report from Patek via your AD. And hopefully they would have amended their records!
I am curious if there would be any notation of a dial swap by Patek if you requested a copy of the Extract from the Archives after the 5 year period. It would probably be a good idea to keep the original receipt of Patek having performed the dial swap for resale purposes, unless you don't want to mention it at all during resale.

For a modern watch like the 5205, I don't think a dial swap is a big deal. However for vintage watches, it is a different matter. Some of you may have read about a big lawsuit between well-known musician, John Meyer, and his watch dealer for failure to disclose pertinent information about non-original parts inside vintage watches that he purchased from them.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 07:32 AM   #15
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Sorry to revive this old thread. I would still love to hear from more folks on this topic…

Do you really think that swapping a dial color would make the watch less desirable, devaluated or even a ‘Frankenstein’ (as a fellow member seems to suggest above)?

Is that so even if the dial switch were carried out by Patek Philippe itself - not an AD, nor anyone else - and documented by the service order?
Old 21 April 2017, 11:42 AM   #16
Socal to az
Banned

There are so many watches out there. Especially 5205s. If I'm buying one and debating between two watches, I buy the one without the dial swap.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 09:48 AM   #17
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Talking about dial swaps can you buy a 5130R and request a 5131R dials to Patek? Would it be the same scenario as this?
Just thinking out load guys.
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 12:55 PM   #18
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Being a purist I want it to look exactly how the watch was from
Day one. I have seen some cool 3970s with 5004 dials and my first question is always was the watch born with this dial and do the papers reflect that. If not, I would not be interested. Just my 2cents

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 04:21 PM   #19
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
some buyers will be put off for sure
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 06:23 PM   #20
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
i would not purchase a watch that has a different dial to the papers.

F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 06:59 PM   #21
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod24 View Post
Talking about dial swaps can you buy a 5130R and request a 5131R dials to Patek? Would it be the same scenario as this?
Just thinking out load guys.
Well of course even assuming Patek would change the dial (which they wouldn't) you would also have to change the case since it is unique to the cloisonné enamel dial versions - 1mm deeper profile at 10.6 mm on 5131's compared to 9.6 mm of 5130's. (plus the engraving on the case).
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 09:20 AM   #22
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Well of course even assuming Patek would change the dial (which they wouldn't) you would also have to change the case since it is unique to the cloisonné enamel dial versions - 1mm deeper profile at 10.6 mm on 5131's compared to 9.6 mm of 5130's. (plus the engraving on the case).
Thanks for the info I was thinking the case was the same just with the added engraving.
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote