The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2017, 11:58 PM   #1
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Nautilus strap comfort

Hi there,

I got my 5712G last week and I just love everything about this watch, it was the perfect acquisition... until a few days in! It is just not wearing all that comfortably...

I had it on the composite strap to start and after being great the first day or two I noticed it was starting to be a little uncomfortable.

I've had it changed over now to the leather strap today to see if that is better, time will tell.

The watch feels very rigid, the metal inside the ends of the straps - where it joins with the end links - seems to press against my wrist uncomfortably.

I was using the second smallest setting on the strap, though I have now decided to use the smallest setting to make it sit more tightly as the leather will likely stretch a little.

Has anyone else had this issue at all? If so what did you do to make it more comfortable? Are there any alternative straps for the nautilus which don't have the metal end links built into them as this part of the strap is what seems to cause me the discomfort.

Thanks for any help with this one as it's going to be a daily wearer, so really need to get it comfortable - plus flipping is going to be expensive so I'd rather make this work!
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 07:05 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I had an issue with the 5726, the clasp was digging into my wrost bone, after 45 minutes the pain was unbearable, so I had to get the extra small strap, don't have a big wrist but it's not too small either at 7 inches, after I got the strap it was perfect
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 07:10 AM   #3
justdate
"TRF" Member

That's funny, I also have a 7 inch wrist too. The extra small strap wears differently do you mean? I thought the holes were just further along a shorter strap.

After today of using the leather strap on 2nd smallest hole it's definitely better, hoping by the end of the week it's going to be as comfy as my 5205. But if not should I ask them to get me an x small strap? Was that the composite or leather by the way?
Old 19 April 2017, 07:13 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Well with thz normal strap the clasp wasn't centered and the extremity of the clasp was touching my inner wrist bone, didn't have a choice, had to get the extra small one
Old 19 April 2017, 07:19 AM   #5
justdate
"TRF" Member

Ah yes I see. Well if things don't get better as the leather softens up a little, I'll ask them if I can try this.
Old 19 April 2017, 08:02 AM   #6
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I wouldn't get a strap without the metal inserts. They are there for a reason to stop the strap giving way.

One option would be to get a custom strap from Camille fournet with more padding. Although I believe they will require your old strap to remove the inserts. So probably a last resort if nothing else works.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 08:54 AM   #7
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I wouldn't get a strap without the metal inserts. They are there for a reason to stop the strap giving way.

One option would be to get a custom strap from Camille fournet with more padding. Although I believe they will require your old strap to remove the inserts. So probably a last resort if nothing else works.
Very good idea, I shall keep them noted if these initial options don't work out for me. I do think the leather strap might be fine when softened up, but always good to have a Plan B! Thanks.
Old 19 April 2017, 05:38 PM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

I wanted to get a custom strap, problem is they had to destroy one of the PP straps to get the inserts and the cost of the strap plus the cost of the one destroyed was more than 1000 euros, no thanks. Without the inserts I was told the strap would detach from the case, which meant loss or damage to the watch, don't do a strap without the inserts
Old 19 April 2017, 09:33 PM   #9
justdate
"TRF" Member

Just taken a look at the watch on my wrist, I can see the problem is exactly as you say lapince, due to the strap being too long for me and the clasp being offf centre.

As such when the clasp moves back around my wrist to the correct position, it causes the watch itself to be in the wrong position on my wrist and cause discomfort.

Will ask the AD to get me a small strap now.
Old 19 April 2017, 09:54 PM   #10
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Just taken a look at the watch on my wrist, I can see the problem is exactly as you say lapince, due to the strap being too long for me and the clasp being offf centre.

As such when the clasp moves back around my wrist to the correct position, it causes the watch itself to be in the wrong position on my wrist and cause discomfort.

Forum at it's best.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:13 AM   #11
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post

If you want the composite small size strap I have one like new, maybe worn 15 days in all. Sending you a PM
Old 20 April 2017, 11:49 PM   #12
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

OP, I picked up a 5712R a little over a year ago. I had comfort issues initially. After a few months (due to rotation and discomfort) the alligator strap "broke in" and is now quite comfortable. As Arnaud has said, though, if the buckle placement is off, you may need a different strap combination.