The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 4 June 2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Rosie39j
"TRF" Member

A few dumb questions from a new owner...

A. Strap size - the assolumente that came with my 417 is standard 75/115. It fits with just a little tail to spare, so I think I need future straps a little longer. If the watch seems to ride high on my wrist, ie. toward my upper wrist bone, should I go with a little longer buckle end, ie. 80 instead of 75?

B. assume I'm supposed to just let it patina naturally and not put anything like mink oil on it? I don't think I'll wear this one much, as it's too casual for my usual use. Wanting to buy a chocolate and black croc...

C. The 416 looks to have a screw strap release rather than the quick release I had read about - is that just on the 1950's?

Thanks for all the great info you guys provide! Already fighting the urge to buy another that was my second choice...
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 03:38 AM   #2
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
Congrats on your new Pam! I have a 7.25 inch wrist and I need an xl in the oem straps and it sounds like you do too. Strap prefernce and size is unique to the individual and your own taste will develop over time. For me it was trial and error. I had custom straps made over time and the first one to the most recent one are completey different in specs. Its a great way to learn what you like and don't like but a little costly. I find that straps in general are tough to get the size right. 80 x 145 is my sweet spot and I like two loose keepers and extra tail. Good luck and have fun strap hunting!
CoachRolexRyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 05:53 AM   #3
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRolexRyan View Post
Congrats on your new Pam! I have a 7.25 inch wrist and I need an xl in the oem straps and it sounds like you do too. Strap prefernce and size is unique to the individual and your own taste will develop over time. For me it was trial and error. I had custom straps made over time and the first one to the most recent one are completey different in specs. Its a great way to learn what you like and don't like but a little costly. I find that straps in general are tough to get the size right. 80 x 145 is my sweet spot and I like two loose keepers and extra tail. Good luck and have fun strap hunting!

X2. I have a 7" wrist. I tend to favor 140/80. It also depends on the thickness of the strap too. The thicker the strap, ie. contemporary vs. ammo, etc... the longer the size should be.

Happy hunting!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 05:55 AM   #4
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I have a 7" wrist and have been wearing 130/80 straps. The bad part is that once you get used to wearing the longer straps, the OEM strap stays in the drawer.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Rosie39j
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! So I need to resist the urge to load up on straps during the trial and error phase... Awwww.
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Regarding question C, some non-1950s case models have the quick change strap system, but not all. I'm not sure there is any rhyme or reason as to which have and which don't, other than maybe the contemporary line is more likely to have it while the historic line is unlikely to have it.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote