The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 5 December 2016, 02:27 AM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Non-Exhaustive Opinion: Why Japanese Fountain Pens Are Incredible!

I do not consider my self an expert in any wise when it comes to Japanese fountain pens. This subject is just to deep and complex. But I do have a general opinion and in my never to be humble opinion and several years of experiences, the Japanese FPs are likely the very best to be had on the market.

I have a theory about this and why this is true. Again, this is my opinion.

Having traveled the world, much of it understands something called "Face". My understanding is that in the Japanese culture there not many things worse than losing Face. We Americans have difficulty grasping this because frankly our reputations are not among our most valued possessions. It is not a part of our culture. But the Japanese are highly aware of it! To lose Face in Japan and many other cultures is to not only shame yourself, but to shame your family. You children, wife, mother, father, and extended relations. And this shame is not something that goes away with time.

My point is that when Japanese artisans and fountain pen makers create pens, they stake their reputations and that of their families on their work.

If you pay a lot of money for a Japanese pen you can be fairly certain that every craftsman that is involved in the work is hyper aware that his "name" rides on the quality of their talents. They care little about quantity. Quality carries with it the very prestige of the Japanese makers.

Due to this culture, you will find that even an $80.00 pen has the qualities of a writing instrument many times that cost. This typically also pertains to the person selling the pen if you are purchasing it from a Japanese dealer. There is a chain of reputations that exists. You will not find many dishonest Japanese dealers. You may see some rare problems with shipping due to the distance, chain of possession, and things like US Customs, but rarely due to a dishonest Japanese dealer!

Also in 100% of my experiences purchasing a Japanese pen from a Japanese dealer, they are extremely careful in how they package the pen and they usually also include a gift that was not mentioned in the advertisement. I have had them include extra things like cartridges and converters to Japanese teas and other small "thank-yous" that you were not expecting along with a personal note of gratitude for your trusting them to provide your new pen.

Quality and assurance when collecting and purchasing writing instruments are both strong "currencies" with me. I have little hesitation when acquiring pens from Japan. The typical due diligence applies, but the process of sending money to Japan to add an expensive pen to my collection does not give me any pause.

Per some research, all of this applies exponentially when it comes to the very expensive "art" pens. The craftsmen and artists know your are spending a great deal of money on their work and therefore are even more acutely aware of Face. It is also common that many of the art pens carry the signature in Japanese of the artists / craftsmen. In Japanese culture, that is not meant to just be a "nice touch", but rather their signature in blood so to speak.

I am looking intently at adding several Tamenuri, Maki-e, Urishi, Yagumonuri, and others to my collection. Its an exciting place when it comes to collecting fountain pens as you are not only getting a great instrument, but an extremely fine and time consuming work of art.

To me, there are few hobbies that have the satisfaction of collecting writing instruments and its related accoutrements. Japanese pens can be a graduate experience.

Again, these thoughts are some of my thoughts only. Yours???

Here are some nice photos from the web for reference:

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2016, 03:00 AM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
IIRC the pens you show are Danitrios, a California company that makes pens in Asia (Japan and Taiwan as two locations) and that uses nibs sourced originally from JoWo (the "T" nibs) and later Bock (the "Fireball nibs).

I agree that many Japanese pens are great but also there are pens from Europe (and once from the US) are fantastic and exhibit the same care and attention to detail seen in Japanese pens.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2016, 03:33 AM   #3
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
IIRC the pens you show are Danitrios, a California company that makes pens in Asia (Japan and Taiwan as two locations) and that uses nibs sourced originally from JoWo (the "T" nibs) and later Bock (the "Fireball nibs).

I agree that many Japanese pens are great but also there are pens from Europe (and once from the US) are fantastic and exhibit the same care and attention to detail seen in Japanese pens.
Exactly!

Danitrio are a nice example, but certainly not the true depth of the Japanese art.
Old 5 December 2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Juantxo
Banned

In Spanish if you tell someone that he has "face", it means that he's shameless. But the the phrase "saving face" is also known and used. The concept of "face" in the Oriental sense implies pride, honor, a higher standard of ethics; but it can also mean conceit, vanity, haughtiness. This last meaning is what leads to wars and so on.

In any case, we here take it as the sense of responsibility of the craftsman for a job well-done. If only we all felt that way.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2016, 11:32 AM   #5
jar
"TRF" Member

An example of attention to even the most mundane details.

Old 5 December 2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
An example of attention to even the most mundane details.

No! CA is not in the same class as any Japanese pen in my o-pen-ion!

They are nice, but they are CAs and do not pretend to be a work of art.
Old 5 December 2016, 06:15 PM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
So what you're trying to tell me is I need a Japanese pen??
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2016, 02:02 AM   #8
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
Yes, we all do...!!!!!!
Old 6 December 2016, 05:45 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Need!?? Yes.

Want!??? Yes!

It will happen to us all at some point along this inky journey!
Old 7 December 2016, 07:02 PM   #10
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

What I have planned so far to start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.1 KB, 91 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 7 December 2016, 11:08 PM   #11
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nakai-ai in Akatamenuri. Great choice. BUT which nib? Will it have swimmers?

Old 8 December 2016, 04:06 AM   #12
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nakai-ai in Akatamenuri. Great choice. BUT which nib? Will it have swimmers?

I'll be going the gold fish option for sure Most likely with an italic nib.
Old 8 December 2016, 06:42 AM   #13
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes! Mine is coming soon!
Old 8 December 2016, 09:41 AM   #14
Juantxo
Banned

I'll place a firm order on a Nakaya depending upon my experience with the two new Platinum.
Old 8 December 2016, 06:11 PM   #15
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

I had a brief moment of clarity today while leaving work.......I need a new pen! What this means, I don't know just yet, but the fuse has been lit. How long it burns is unpredictable.
Old 8 December 2016, 06:55 PM   #16
Juantxo
Banned

Richard, "...damn Yankees..." See, my team is the Red Socks... or any team that beats the Yankees...!!!
Old 9 December 2016, 01:24 AM   #17
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 21670
Well put !
Rafael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 01:25 AM   #18
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 21670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
In Spanish if you tell someone that he has "face", it means that he's shameless. But the the phrase "saving face" is also known and used. The concept of "face" in the Oriental sense implies pride, honor, a higher standard of ethics; but it can also mean conceit, vanity, haughtiness. This last meaning is what leads to wars and so on.

In any case, we here take it as the sense of responsibility of the craftsman for a job well-done. If only we all felt that way.
Well put!
Rafael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 11:13 AM   #19
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Put well!
Old 9 December 2016, 06:38 PM   #20
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post

One of my cars, the NSX, was hand built in Japan. The technicians that were even allowed near the car during assembly had to have been working for Honda at least 10 years. The car was built per Mr. Honda's dream. Going through the car you'll see hand written notes in silver paint pen and inspiring phrases on parts labels. The workers who built the car took its quality personally and as a reflection on themselves. Contrary, I also used to have a Mustang Cobra. In that car I found an orange peel and a half eaten cheeseburger in the door panel while installing a stereo. You can draw your own conclusions here but hand built Japanese supersedes all others. I had a hand built Italian motorcycle once and this meant the made in Italy sticker under the clearcoat was crooked and there was a thumb print in the paint on the tank......
Old 10 December 2016, 02:52 AM   #21
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
One of my cars, the NSX, was hand built in Japan. The technicians that were even allowed near the car during assembly had to have been working for Honda at least 10 years. The car was built per Mr. Honda's dream. Going through the car you'll see hand written notes in silver paint pen and inspiring phrases on parts labels. The workers who built the car took its quality personally and as a reflection on themselves. Contrary, I also used to have a Mustang Cobra. In that car I found an orange peel and a half eaten cheeseburger in the door panel while installing a stereo. You can draw your own conclusions here but hand built Japanese supersedes all others. I had a hand built Italian motorcycle once and this meant the made in Italy sticker under the clearcoat was crooked and there was a thumb print in the paint on the tank......
My wife will only accept Acura cars. Not anything else. And a few days ago I saw on TV an NSX whooping big time a Lamborghini something or another.

Now, in all fairness, please note that the Mac hamburger never rotted. They are built to never rot. Amazing.