The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 3 December 2016, 01:42 AM   #1
mikemcq
Banned

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
New to fountain pens question

I've always appreciated fountain pens. I recently bought a cheap one (Lamy Logo) to see if I will like writing with them before purchasing a nicer one I've noticed what seems to be excess in on the front side of the nib. Is this normal? Pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3059.jpg (46.1 KB, 41 views)
mikemcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2016, 02:08 AM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Normal. That is called "nib creep" and it is usually ink and nib specific. Often changing inks will make a difference and an ink that causes nib creep on one pen may not on an identical pen.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2016, 02:14 AM   #3
mikemcq
Banned

Thanks for the reply. The issue is, Lamy uses proprietary cartridges, so I am stuck with these. Unless I get a converter and then I can use different inks?
Old 3 December 2016, 02:27 AM   #4
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcq View Post
Thanks for the reply. The issue is, Lamy uses proprietary cartridges, so I am stuck with these. Unless I get a converter and then I can use different inks?
Of course you can. Please note that I'm not an expert unlike most everyone else posting here. In any case, I suggest that you cut your teeth, so to speak, with the Lamy but keep in mind that not all fountain pens are the same. Also, there is a learning curve, or experience to be gained.

Sooner or later, it gets to the point (no pun intended) where fountain pens and writing with a fountain pen will be a special pleasure.

By the way, not all inks are the same. There is plenty to be read and to learn about inks across the Internet. Better yet, there are books rich with information.

Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2016, 03:07 AM   #5
mikemcq
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Of course you can. Please note that I'm not an expert like most everyone else posting here. In any case, I suggest that you cut your teeth, so to speak, with the Lamy but keep in mind that not all fountain pens are the same. Also, there is a learning curve, or experience to be gained.

Sooner or later, it gets to the point (no pun intended) where fountain pens and writing with a fountain pen will be a special pleasure.

By the way, not all inks are the same. There is plenty to be read and to learn about inks across the Internet. Better yet, there are books rich with information.

Great reply, and advice. Thanks so much.
Old 3 December 2016, 03:15 AM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcq View Post
You can also order a syringe from people like Goulet or Andersen and refill the cartridge from an ink bottle but the converter is very inexpensive anyway. Just throw one in the basket when you order ink As far as ink on the nib, you can wash the end of the nib in water and don't wipe it down from the top if you want to get rid of the excess ink sometimes. It used to bug me but like jar said, it's totally normal.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2016, 05:35 AM   #7
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
The converter for most Lamy pens costs under $5.00 The proper converter for the Logo is listed here.

When it comes to buying converters I always suggest using the Royal Principle of a heir and a spare. Get two and keep one on hand should it be needed.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2016, 06:28 AM   #8
mikemcq
Banned

I just ordered the Z26 converter and a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Ink 30ml Royal Blue. See how this combo works out.