The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 9 December 2016, 04:35 AM   #1
Juantxo
Banned

My views on the Platinum Century...

Well, I finally received a Platinum 3776 Century in Bourgogne red and another one in Chartres blue. Broad modified to stub by Mottishaw for the red; Music nib for the blue. Both pens were bought from Classic Fountain Pens. Nothing special about their customer service or sales people.

The boxes were simply wrapped in a single sheath of bubble wrap. The boxes for the pens: nothing special at all but to be expected at that price point. Each pen was delivered with a single ink cartridge. Other than an invitation to the LA Pen Show, nothing else from CFP. It seems as if they've grown big an impersonal.

The pens. Except for the different colors and nibs, all comments are the same for both pens. Nice converter, solid, although the plunger is a bit "grabby". I like the Platinum converter better that the Sailor and Dupont ones.

I found a bit of plastic left from the mold at the end of the section. Nothing that interferes with your writing but a little QC oversight. I find the size and the weight perfect for my taste and preference in this type of pen. Maybe a tad too light but I'd rather have it light than heavy.

The cap is a treat. Not only does it thread very smoothly, I love the way it shuts tight protecting the nib and mitigating ink evaporation. Wonderful. The best feature of the 3776 Century.

I tried the pen on Clairefontaine paper. In both cases the ink dries quickly and hardly any pressure is needed for the ink to flow on the paper. I used red Skrip on the red pen, tsuyu-kusa on the blue.

The Music nib is totally new to me. I admit I know nothing about how a Music nib ought to write or even what's it's true purpose. In any case, I found mine extremely smooth, I experienced some line variation when writing as with any other pen, and little or no shading on the Clairefontaine paper. Of course, the line is very broad. So far I've found it very nice for sketching and drawing. (I won't punish you with my drawings).

The Broad nib was modified at CFP to stub. Above all, I was surprised at how thin is the line left by this nib. Almost like the line of a Fine Pelikan nib. The ink flows nicely, though. However, as has been the case with other nibs modified at CFP for me (two Pelikan nibs), this nib was a little scratchy. I gave it a few spins on 1 micron paper and it improved noticeably. It might be that the nibmaster has a different way of putting nib to paper than I do. In any case, it glides nicely now according to my preference.

To summarize, these are nice pens, no doubt. The cap mechanism is superior. The metal parts are flawless. I know that in terms of price-point it's not fair to compare a 3776 to a Pelikan 600 but I find the Pelikan a notch or two above the Platinum in terms of overall manufacturing quality.

Here go some pictures. I might have to post other pictures on another thread. Thank you for reading so far, and please excuse my views when too heavily biased by ignorance of the subject matter.

PD- Of course, the writing sample posted is on crappy MB sample paper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC080031.jpg (36.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PC080041.jpg (86.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg PC080039.jpg (27.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PC080028.jpg (71.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg music.jpg (61.1 KB, 41 views)
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Great review my friend!

Enjoy them in great health!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Great review my friend!

Enjoy them in great health!
Thank you, Richard. I'm glad you approve.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote