The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 9 December 2016, 11:28 AM   #1
davecheng
"TRF" Member

My memory lane: Rotrings galore

I grew up a geeky kid obsessed with stationery and precision writing instruments. My dad was a draftsman, so I guess it was only natural.

I really took to Rotrings in the 90s when I started my undergrad. The weight, German heritage, and industrial design aesthetic of the 600s still appeal to me more than a fancy Visconti.

Maybe it's all nostalgia.

Recently I took a photo of all my Rotrings and wanted to share it with you:

It's hard to believe I've had some of these for 20 years now.

Pictured top to bottom:
  • 600 Newton Multi-pen — I went out and bought a spare in my final year of undergrad when I realized that I had written practically every exam and lab with one. I was determined to finish my degree with it.
  • Trio Essential Multi-pen – This was cheap Apple corporate swag given to me by a friend who worked at their head office north of Toronto, Canada.
  • Core Eternium Fountain Pen – So ugly I love it.
  • 600 Fountain Pen (Gen 2) – A pre-Sanford era 600. I think this is what started my life-long love and appreciation for all things German: beer, sausage, cars, rules and structure... lol
  • 600 Newton Multi-pen – The original. This pen got me through an entire engineering undergraduate degree. The patina bleeds differential equations.
  • 600 0.7 Mechanical Pencil
davecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Juantxo
Banned

Oh, do I have memories of trying to use Rotring drafting pens for China ink and making a veritable mess each time. Those were beautiful pens. There was something utterly attractive about the material, the short cap, the spring on the tip, the hue of black and the bright red accents. And then, China ink...!!!
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I took about 4 years of manual drafting back in high school. Man, would I have killed for a rotring!! We had these cheap lead holders. Still have one. To this day, probably the most useful class I took in high school.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 09:47 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2016, 04:45 AM   #5
Juantxo
Banned

Looking for Rotring drafting pens I've noticed that they have changed quite a bit since I last used them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_570xN.958492300_jq2c.jpg (71.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 10 December 2016, 09:16 AM   #6
davecheng
"TRF" Member

Wow! Growing up, I was surrounded by my father's Staedtlers. My handwriting today is pretty much a carbon copy of his architectural lettering.
davecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecheng View Post
Wow! Growing up, I was surrounded by my father's Staedtlers. My handwriting today is pretty much a carbon copy of his architectural lettering.
By the way, the picture is not mine, I picked it up from the Internet. But those are the pens I used to know.