The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 December 2016, 05:19 AM   #1
Juantxo
Banned

The learning curve...

Freud notwithstanding, to know that one never ceases to learn is quite a pleasure. Not long ago I wrote something about visiting the P.W. Akkerman pen store at The Hague. Well, today I received three bottles of Akkerman ink.

I haven't tried the ink yet as I mostly bought the ink for memories' sake, and because of the quaint bottle. The bottle not only looks antique and elegant, it also has a ball inside that allows ink to flow to the upper chamber for filling, while the rest remains at the bottom of the bottle. At first, it would seem like a wonderful idea. In reality, though, the upper chamber can overflow as the nib is inserted for filling.

In any case, I welcome these bottles which will bring back memories from some very special pen store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010227.jpg (80.0 KB, 61 views)
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 05:40 AM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Freud notwithstanding, to know that one never ceases to learn is quite a pleasure. Not long ago I wrote something about visiting the P.W. Akkerman pen store at The Hague. Well, today I received three bottles of Akkerman ink.

I haven't tried the ink yet as I mostly bought the ink for memories' sake, and because of the quaint bottle. The bottle not only looks antique and elegant, it also has a ball inside that allows ink to flow to the upper chamber for filling, while the rest remains at the bottom of the bottle. At first, it would seem like a wonderful idea. In reality, though, the upper chamber can overflow as the nib is inserted for filling.

In any case, I welcome these bottles which will bring back memories from some very special pen store.
You sound a lot like me. I am the kind of soul that purchases things for the memories of them. The first time I ever visited London I purchased a lovely Sheaffers Imperial that I still have. I can't look at that pen without thinking about the wonderful time we had on that our first trip abroad. The same with a Montblanc 144 FP that I purchased from a luggage shop just prior to embarking on a trip to China. I purchased it and a nice journal to document my thoughts while traveling. I also still have that pen after 26 years and again, I can't handle and look at it without having a flood of memories. It has seen better days, but it will never leave my collection. About 20 years ago I lost it. I tore my house up in a quest to find it and looked literally for weeks. Then about a year later I was cleaning out our minivan and there it was. Under the front driver's seat up against one of the seat rails. Happy dance instantly took place and lasted throughout the rest of that week! And even today it brings a lot of joy to see it. I really was one of my first big FP purchases costing me about $175.00 back in 1990.

I recently visited the P. W. Akkerman website and ordered 3 of these bottles of inks and two pens. I haven't ever visited them, but will one day, God willing. With that said... don't you love those bottles!??!! I think they are lovely and unique. At least in my experience.

Thanks for the heads up on the upper chamber overflowing. I wouldn't have caught that until.... Inky fingers!

Thanks for a great review!

BTW... do you have any photos you could post of your visit to their shop? Would love to see more of what it looks like on the inside. Has to be a quality establishment.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
You sound a lot like me. I am the kind of soul that purchases things for the memories of them.

I recently visited the P. W. Akkerman website and ordered 3 of these bottles of inks and two pens. I haven't ever visited them, but will one day, God willing. With that said... don't you love those bottles!??!! I think they are lovely and unique. At least in my experience.

Thanks for the heads up on the upper chamber overflowing. I wouldn't have caught that until.... Inky fingers!

Thanks for a great review!

BTW... do you have any photos you could post of your visit to their shop? Would love to see more of what it looks like on the inside. Has to be a quality establishment.
Sadly, I have no pictures. I used to travel to The Hague on business and on my free time would wonder around the city. I used to also visit a very nice watch shop that carried Lange and Vacheron watches. I remember trying to buy a Vacheron Royal chronometer, when they still built elegant sized watches but they wouldn't discount a dime.

The Akkerman store has very old displays, old glass framed by old wood. And many, many pens, old and new. It's nothing like you'd find in a US mall or airport. The store itself is located in an old arcade with a very high glass ceiling mounted on an ornate steel structure. A thin old man on a gray flannel suit, white shirt, black tie and white hair was in charge of the store.
Old 21 December 2016, 06:49 AM   #4
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
The Akkerman finger paint is one of those really steep learning curves.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 07:54 AM   #5
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
The Akkerman finger paint is one of those really steep learning curves.
Please elaborate, Sensei.
Old 21 December 2016, 10:45 AM   #6
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Please elaborate, Sensei.
It only take a seconds experience and the lesson lasts for a lifetime.

The stains are gone in a few days but the lesson remains.

Last edited by jar; 21 December 2016 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: hit wrong key
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 12:32 AM   #7
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
It only take a seconds experience and the lesson lasts for a lifetime.

The stains are gone in a few days but the lesson remains.
I believe it has to do with an idea that seems great but it really isn't. Enlightment.