The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 April 2020, 11:18 AM   #91
narembeen
Banned

Cheers guys, I just chucked the whole lot in the post and shipped it off, I didnt take pictures. I dont know about the dial guy but the watch maker said he would send me photos of the restoration and a video at the end.

This process has been cool for me too, I have learnt a lot about an object which was sitting in the garage for a very long time and ignored. I discovered it could be restored and I also learnt it is quite valuable, even in the state it was in.

I started looking around on ebay and places like chrono24 and none of the 5513's I have seen have their original box and papers, so I am proud my step dad was a hoarder and never threw out anything! There is one on ebay for just a case and nothing else for 10kAUD, or 6kUSD. I also saw a case on its own sell for 6Kusd in jan. But no papers haha/

I have asked my mum a bit more about the watch and she said my step dad bought it in the 60's and wore it every day up until the early 2000's. He had it serviced only twice. My watch maker opened the case and the watch makers had etched dates on the inside which is pretty cool.

Listen I am getting this serviced and tidied up and I hate to say it, I am wearing it every day. Thats what these watches were desgined for. Some people have said the case looks terrible and my need to be replaced. My watch maker said it was the nicest unpolished 5513 case he has seen, so the watch can definitely take a beating. Me wearing wont do any harm at all/
Old 19 April 2020, 03:35 PM   #92
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: MF 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by narembeen View Post

Listen I am getting this serviced and tidied up and I hate to say it, I am wearing it every day. Thats what these watches were desgined for. Some people have said the case looks terrible and my need to be replaced. My watch maker said it was the nicest unpolished 5513 case he has seen, so the watch can definitely take a beating. Me wearing wont do any harm at all/
Old 19 April 2020, 03:44 PM   #93
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Man, Im very happy with the choice you made for this watch!

Often, we get guys who ask questions only to try sell it or they ask and they dont listen to any sound advice given here!
Well done and Im looking forward to see it after work is done!
You are a hard working man, you deserve to have and wear this watch.
Old 19 April 2020, 03:46 PM   #94
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Oh you're in Perth as well - message sent with a local watch maker etc.
Old 19 April 2020, 04:34 PM   #95
WCHROLX
Banned

Well left for me, take it to an expert for proper servicing and repair then you could sell at higher price if you don't intend to wear it.
Old 19 April 2020, 04:51 PM   #96
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Oh you're in Perth as well - message sent with a local watch maker etc.
etc being a sketchy link to a gumtree ad "Wanted: Wanted - Your watch. $$ paid. Rolex, Omega, Seiko, Tudor etc".

Watch was posted for a service! I am keeping it! Enough with the pms offering 5k I know roughly how much this worth now! God!
Old 19 April 2020, 05:05 PM   #97
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Some people have said the case looks terrible and my need to be replaced. My watch maker said it was the nicest unpolished 5513 case he has seen
I seriously hope it remains so.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 19 April 2020, 05:35 PM   #98
v1triol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some people have said the case looks terrible and my need to be replaced. My watch maker said it was the nicest unpolished 5513 case he has seen, so the watch can definitely take a beating. Me wearing wont do any harm at all/
Don't listen to them, keep that case.

Quote:

I started looking around on ebay and places like chrono24 and none of the 5513's I have seen have their original box and papers, so I am proud my step dad was a hoarder and never threw out anything! There is one on ebay for just a case and nothing else for 10kAUD, or 6kUSD. I also saw a case on its own sell for 6Kusd in jan. But no papers haha/
Personally I like to use this website
https://watchcharts.com/watch/740/overview
It works on the last 100 listings, so in case of vintage watch the monthly price estimation is not always accurate, but the website shows the filters for "sold" and "unsold" across rolexforums, watchusseek and ebay.
Each listing is accessible via one click, so it's very handy to check how much your watch sells for.

Best of luck in the restoration.
Old 19 April 2020, 06:28 PM   #99
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1triol View Post
Don't listen to them, keep that case.

Personally I like to use this website
https://watchcharts.com/watch/740/overview
It works on the last 100 listings, so in case of vintage watch the monthly price estimation is not always accurate, but the website shows the filters for "sold" and "unsold" across rolexforums, watchusseek and ebay.
Each listing is accessible via one click, so it's very handy to check how much your watch sells for.

Best of luck in the restoration.
Wow, that site is fantastic! Cheers!
Old 19 April 2020, 06:34 PM   #100
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
Looking forward to seeing it all put back together.
Hey I read your thread regarding your watch. Its interesting you initially went through the same crap and negativity here and in the end you have a cracker of a watch. Very inspiring matey
Old 19 April 2020, 06:35 PM   #101
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
I find it a little ironic that some of you guys gave the first reply so much grief. His comment about the hands was clearly said with tongue in cheek and his recommendation to take clearer, better pictures was appropriate.

The fact that some of you guys are getting torn up about it suggests you aren’t that ‘man’ after all. Thought you’ll have thicker skin.
Yeah cheers matey. The cries have subsided so hopefully they have hardened up a little. These watches are wasted on some of these softies.
Old 19 April 2020, 06:37 PM   #102
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Maybe over in the General Forum....but here with us Vintage guys? Really? Elitist?? I find us vintage nerds over here incredibly diverse, with varying backgrounds and interests, and quite down to earth. You'll see no "Show us what you're wearing next to your diploma" or "Does your watch match you car" kind of posts here. Ever! Here it's all about the watch, not how much it costs. It seems you're attacking the wrong group.

And while I can't speak for us all, I apologize if any of us has come across that way. Surely, a comment's nuance and subtlety gets lost in a printed reply. But, having been here for a while, I would say this is a great group of enthusiasts who care more about the history and passion for vintage Rolexes than the status of what the public thinks they are.
Its all good, doesnt bother me. In the end I received great advice. I will say that the advice came via pm's and some guys are a little intimidated to offer advice in the open as seem to be worried about getting torn apart. Shame, because some of the pm's I received were just awesome.

Some ofcourse were just scammers with gumtree accounts trying to make a buck like the guy a few posts up. Shame on you mate.
Old 19 April 2020, 06:50 PM   #103
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi N,

Just posting so I can link to see the final result.

Looking forward to this.

I like the way you handled the negative posts.

You don’t need clean hands to have class.

Trust me.

E.

Old 19 April 2020, 06:54 PM   #104
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Hi N,

Looking forward to this.

Trust me.

E.
Cheers matey yeah I cant wait to get this back and put it to work.
Old 19 April 2020, 06:57 PM   #105
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Hi N,

Looking forward to this.

Trust me.

E.
Cool bike btw and I like your jaguar F1esque leathers, cool
Old 19 April 2020, 11:38 PM   #106
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I like this guy...…. The comment about the OP's hands was a personal attack, and Jeff's response was spot on. OP, source the parts, service it, with someone reputable and wear it. He left it to you for a reason.
Agree.
Old 20 April 2020, 12:30 AM   #107
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
Quote:
Maybe over in the General Forum....but here with us Vintage guys? Really? Elitist?? I find us vintage nerds over here incredibly diverse, with varying backgrounds and interests, and quite down to earth. You'll see no "Show us what you're wearing next to your diploma" or "Does your watch match you car" kind of posts here. Ever! Here it's all about the watch, not how much it costs. It seems you're attacking the wrong group.

And while I can't speak for us all, I apologize if any of us has come across that way. Surely, a comment's nuance and subtlety gets lost in a printed reply. But, having been here for a while, I would say this is a great group of enthusiasts who care more about the history and passion for vintage Rolexes than the status of what the public thinks they are.
My comments were regarding the first comments about the OP"s hand being dirty, and the subsequent comments to me specifically for calling them out. Go to the beginning of the thread for context, please.

There's a narrative to follow. I first saw this thread on the general forum, and my quotes and my reactions were part of a progression of comments.
Old 20 April 2020, 12:34 AM   #108
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwb65 View Post
My comments were regarding the first comments about the OP"s hand being dirty, and the subsequent comments to me specifically for calling them out. Go to the beginning of the thread for context, please.

There's a narrative to follow. I first saw this thread on the general forum, and my quotes and my reactions were part of a progression of comments.
Understood. I have been reading the thread since the beginning, so when I saw your comment about "elitists around here" it just stuck out. Believe me, I am in no position to be elitist about anything! Plus, I've been in lock-down here in NYC for the last month and am going a little stir-crazy.
Old 20 April 2020, 12:03 PM   #109
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPrasad View Post
Mate this is the kinda stuff we live for on the vintage forum. If possible ask the watchmaker and the HK guy to take pictures along the way to document the process. It's a major overall and it'll be one for the ages. If possible get detailed before and after pics you'll be happy to did and, we'll all be grateful to see the process.

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
Old 20 April 2020, 12:41 PM   #110
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Love this thread. Very fun to see the OP progress from almost casually selling it to fully appreciating it. Good on ya mate. Looking forward to seeing the final result...dirty hands and all. ;-)
Old 20 April 2020, 02:08 PM   #111
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Love this thread. Very fun to see the OP progress from almost casually selling it to fully appreciating it. Good on ya mate. Looking forward to seeing the final result...dirty hands and all. ;-)
Lol cheers mate hopefully I won't keep you all waiting long.
Old 5 May 2020, 01:19 PM   #112
bayareabuggs
Banned

Nice watch bro, keep us posted!
Old 6 May 2020, 06:44 AM   #113
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Very cool. Glad you're restoring it. Post some pics when it's done!
Old 8 May 2020, 12:57 AM   #114
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe over in the General Forum....but here with us Vintage guys? Really? Elitist?? I find us vintage nerds over here incredibly diverse, with varying backgrounds and interests, and quite down to earth. You'll see no "Show us what you're wearing next to your diploma" or "Does your watch match you car" kind of posts here. Ever! Here it's all about the watch, not how much it costs. It seems you're attacking the wrong group...........
I should better stay in here, I drive a Vauxhall Astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Amen brother. You should see the threads here about man purses, grooming tools, skinny jeans, how to use the On Star button to change your tire, and whether it's safe to wear your Rolex on a trip to the Four Seasons Resort and Residences in Anguilla

The feminization of man unfolds here right before your eyes.........
Amen, soon us men will not be 'required' the ways things are going and its all our fault ......

Quote:
Old 9 May 2020, 02:44 PM   #115
narembeen
Banned

Thanks guys! My watch maker has this at the moment. The dial is coming back and I will be posting it shortly along with the original handset from 1965 which was in the box.
Old 12 May 2020, 03:44 AM   #116
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Really curious!
Old 12 May 2020, 04:03 AM   #117
mineral
"TRF" Member

Can’t wait to see the result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 May 2020, 08:32 AM   #118
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Great story! Love it.

I didn't read the entire thread. I saw something about getting the watch relumed. What's the plan for this? Are you getting super luminova put back on? It looked like some of the original tritium still remained. Do you have plans to preserve the original tritium?

It's a shame that watchmakers can restore dials with tritium these days.
Old 12 May 2020, 09:34 AM   #119
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
Great story! Love it.

I didn't read the entire thread. I saw something about getting the watch relumed. What's the plan for this? Are you getting super luminova put back on? It looked like some of the original tritium still remained. Do you have plans to preserve the original tritium?

It's a shame that watchmakers can restore dials with tritium these days.
Hi, I have asked for it to be original as possible. For example, I dont want it simply painted and I want to use as much of the existing lume as possible. The restorer mentioned filling the gaps.
Old 12 May 2020, 10:25 AM   #120
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
keep us posted please..love these type of stories!
Closed Thread