The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2020, 02:35 AM   #1
kenzembo1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
State of the Collection ... Seeking Your Opinions

Hello all -

I don't actively post here much, but frequent the forums daily. Since we're under quarantine, I thought I would take this opportunity to share my collection and ask your opinions as it relates to a consolidation of sorts. I hope to be a more active poster in the day/weeks ahead!

Anyways, my current collection consists of the following:

- 114060 ("No Date" Sub)
- 116610LV ("Hulk")
- 126710BLRO ("Pepsi")
- 116500LN (Daytona - white dial)

I've been on my AD's list for a black dial 116500 for some time now and just got the call last week. The catch is, they wanted me to pay in advance and promised me the watch within 90 days. I went ahead and 'pulled the trigger' but put it on a 12-Month 0% credit card. A little over $14k all in (MSRP + tax).
It's worth noting this is the only Rolex I've ever financed, however, I couldn't justify giving up that much cash during this time of uncertainty, especially on a promise and not having the watch in-hand.

Lately, however, I've been lusting over the 228235 Rose Gold Olive Dial Day-Date 40 and was thinking of letting go of one of the Daytonas (likely the black dial when it comes in) and both Subs (114060 & 116610LV) for it. I know I don't need to move both Subs, but figure it will allow me to just about reimburse myself for what I 'borrowed' to purchase the Daytona. In my mind, I'm essentially trading both Subs for a Day-Date.

My wife tells me regardless, I need to slow it down for a while which I wholeheartedly agree with so this will likely be my last (watch) purchase for a while whether or not I decide to keep or sell/trade the Daytona.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter. What would you do in my position? Would you go another way (consolidate into a Patek), or simply flip the new Daytona to pad my cash holdings and stay put with my current collection?
kenzembo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 02:40 AM   #2
PorscheNRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Any interest in a GOLD SUB(blue)116618? I feel it would work nicely as a heavy hitter gold piece next to Pepsi and white Daytona, I truly think that would be the perfect 3!

My plan of action . Selll both subs and Daytona black To make it happen!

You could always wait a couple months and see what the NEW SUB looks like before you pull the trigger.
PorscheNRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 02:42 AM   #3
PorscheNRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Ps. I’d def sell the subs now while values are still reasonable. The new sub will crush current prices IMO
Old 23 March 2020, 02:42 AM   #4
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Depends on what "lusting over" means. If it's your dream watch, and has been for awhile, then go for it. Why not? Get the watch you want. If it's just your latest fixation, I'd be cautious about doing it.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 02:44 AM   #5
md3113
2024 Pledge Member

I think you’re existing collection is exquisite, with the caveat that I’d only keep one Daytona.
md3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 03:08 AM   #6
kenzembo1
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, please keep the suggestions coming!

@PorscheNRolex: I agree ... on one hand, I want to wait and see what the new releases bring, but on the other hand, know I'll get more for both Subs if I sell now. The 116618 is beautiful, but hasn't been on my radar for some reason. Not sure why, perhaps I have to give it more consideration. I have to say, I do like the more 'classic' case of the Daytona better, which is why I think I'm leaning more towards to the Day-Date model in general. Especially with the added heft of gold. Plus, it's slightly different than my 'sport' models, although I would lose my land-air-sea theme/rotation.

@johnorpheus: I wouldn't say it's my grail watch per se, but definitely not something of a one night stand either. I'm a little torn because I've really only seen it in the flesh once. I'm worried it may spoil me and I may not want to wear my steel pieces

@md3113: I really do like my current collection, which is definitely part of the problem. Every piece gets wrist time. I've been wearing my 114060 for a week now on a NATO strap, which is part of the appeal and differentiates it from my Hulk. It was my first Rolex, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little sentimental about it, but that's not to say I wouldn't move it under the right circumstances.
Old 23 March 2020, 03:18 AM   #7
PorscheNRolex
2024 Pledge Member

One more thought... I noticed Rolex is posting Daytona pics...

I predict that this will be the year that we get a full gold Daytona on bracelet with a CERAMIC BEZEL! It would be a wonderful nod to the gold Daytona of the past I think 6263 like Ellen has...

Sell the subs now, agreed. Sell the Daytona when you get it. Then, hold your breath and wait for the NEW DAYTONA GOLD!
Old 23 March 2020, 04:34 AM   #8
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Pass on the Daytona which it sounds like you don’t really want and don’t want to spend the cash on. Of course flipping is tempting, and might be your only path to the day date if you can’t spare the cash otherwise.
I would slow down and cool off. Enjoy the amazing set of watches you already own. If you are still dreaming of that rose gold on six months, buy it then.
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 04:43 AM   #9
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I think it's a cool idea. You'd still have a Daytona C anyway. Plus, you can still get a Sub somewhere down the road when everything's more settled.
Old 25 March 2020, 10:39 AM   #10
kenzembo1
"TRF" Member

@OrangeKenny: I already 'bought' the Daytona, I'm just waiting on delivery. One thing that did cross my mind is, keeping both Daytonas and offloading one of my Subs. My wife LOVES the white Daytona, but I don't think I can part with it. Maybe when I see the black model in person, I'll change my mind and give her the white, who knows...

@dafuture: That was my though exactly. As much love as I have for Rolex, I'd like to eventually move towards a small, well-curated, and brand diverse collection. Two Subs and a (relatively) similar in style (albeit sufficiently different) GMT in a small 4-5 watch collection is sometimes hard for me to justify.
Old 25 March 2020, 10:51 AM   #11
calebb90
Banned

Sell the Hulk and take a breather. Figure out what you like. If this is your last for a while, I wouldn’t rush To make a decision.

I’d keep your sub until you figure it out since it has some sentimental value to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 11:04 AM   #12
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I'd sell your 116500 black when you can and continue saving towards a PM Rolex or Patek (or AL&S, AP, VC). That way you'll have some time to keep saving rather than selling some and some time to figure which you want most. If you I'd consider a few options for me at least in addition:

-Sell the No Date and/or LV along with the black 116500 and add a Sub 116618LB

-Straight up trade 116500 black (and perhaps LV) for WG or YG sunburst Daytonas

-Save longer and trade in just the 116500 black for a Day Date + Cash purchase

Tough to go wrong with any option imo. Good luck and great collection already!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 11:06 AM   #13
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
With the already excellent collection, I fully understand the difficulty choosing what’s next.. I would personally look at PP for variety. 5711 maybe. :D
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 11:19 AM   #14
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Id sell the hulk and white daytona, get your black tona and add a DJ41.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 11:27 AM   #15
kenzembo1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
Sell the Hulk and take a breather. Figure out what you like. If this is your last for a while, I wouldn’t rush To make a decision.

I’d keep your sub until you figure it out since it has some sentimental value to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE my Hulk but if I'm being honest, it is my least worn reference. That's not to say it doesn't get worn/loved. Just curious why you would sell the Hulk. Are you suggesting I sell it straight up to 'fund' the black Daytona one-in, one-out?
Old 25 March 2020, 11:32 AM   #16
kenzembo1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I'd sell your 116500 black when you can and continue saving towards a PM Rolex or Patek (or AL&S, AP, VC). That way you'll have some time to keep saving rather than selling some and some time to figure which you want most. If you I'd consider a few options for me at least in addition:

-Sell the No Date and/or LV along with the black 116500 and add a Sub 116618LB

-Straight up trade 116500 black (and perhaps LV) for WG or YG sunburst Daytonas

-Save longer and trade in just the 116500 black for a Day Date + Cash purchase

Tough to go wrong with any option imo. Good luck and great collection already!

I greatly appreciate your suggestions, thank you! I think I'm at the point, where the Day-Date is the only model left in the Rolex catalog I really want/desire. If/when I acquire it, I think I'll shift my focus to other brands (Patek, ALS, Journe). That being said, I like Option #3
Old 25 March 2020, 11:33 AM   #17
kenzembo1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon-turbo View Post
With the already excellent collection, I fully understand the difficulty choosing what’s next.. I would personally look at PP for variety. 5711 maybe. :D
Thank you!

I would LOVE to get my hands on a blue 5711 ... definitely a grail piece for me!

Tags
day date 40 , daytona , hulk submariner , patek philippe , pepsi gmt