The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2020, 12:21 PM   #61
TeddyBallGame
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Who has managed a Discount on say a SS Daytona , Pepsi,Hulk,Batman,Batgirl , SS skydweller it’s ridiculous like I said maybe on a DJ or DD in PM but on items you can’t buy who would discount ? . I don’t wish to offend but seriously

No offense was taken. I was just trying to get across that the price to lots of items/services are open to negotiation. Just finding the most appropriate way to ask is sometimes a challenging task in itself. I do agree with you though that ADs have little to no incentive to offer discounts for hard to get SS models. But for non high desired pieces you might get lucky and save a couple bucks (even some lesser wanted SS OP or some TT). That doesn’t mean we can tactfully ask.
Cheers!
TeddyBallGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:56 PM   #62
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystar31 View Post
Exactly my thoughts! I wouldn’t sell it to you alone on principal.. I honestly find it comical when people ask this question! If you need $200 off then I’m sorry but you can’t afford the watch....

This place never ceases to amaze me. ‘Always pay maximum or we all know your pockets are shallow!!!!’ You guys would probably pay every tacked on fee at a car dealership along with a $500 cabin air filter change.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 02:00 PM   #63
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I'll usually feel them out by asking if they'll split the tax with me. If they say yes I'll think about it and come back a couple weeks later and ask for more. TT watches only. If it's a SS piece that resales at a markup they may just laugh at you and say no. Who knows what this summer will bring though after the shutdown ripples through.
Old 4 May 2020, 03:21 PM   #64
djyolky
Banned

It cannot hurt.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:35 PM   #65
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
rich people. They know how to keep as much of their money as possible and still buy expensive things. It's a knack.
Yes. Yes. Yes. I laugh whenever someone gets accused of not having enough money just because they are looking for the best deal. Everyone likes a deal, especially rich people.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:43 PM   #66
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Dr (Samuel) Johnson had it right when he said "whatever you have, spend less".
Old 4 May 2020, 03:44 PM   #67
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would you ask for a discount when you go out for a meal ? , visit the dentist ? Buying fuel ?

If you don’t like the price don’t buy
You DO have to pay full price at McDonalds and the gas station. You DO NOT have to pay full price at car dealerships, mattress stores, and jewelry shops. So, you are telling someone they should pay MSRP at the watch store or don't buy anything? That's horrible advice.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:43 PM   #68
gaymondlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND- DJ Yella's
I always envy the people that can just walk in and pay full price for whatever they want. I cant help myself and will try to get the best deal. I will try to negotiate if I feel I can gain the advantage (ok cant negotiate for rolex SS pieces at the moment but I'm still going to smile and ask) everywhere I go (can I get the senior discount at the grocery store? I'm not a senior. Negotiate for tutoring lessons/school tuition etc). Basically I'm going to buy the thing and make the deal regardless but I like the negotiations part. It's my favorite part of any buying experience. I bought a 118206 earlier this week. I negotiated a good price, didnt have to ask for free shipping and at the bank I avoided the wire transfer fee for both parties
gaymondlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:38 PM   #69
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
ADs have alot of hubris these days so I'd gauge if this AD would be put off by you asking for a discount, something they have not had to countenance for years, if you only want $200 then I'd leave it and just pay retail, if you could get $500 then worth going for.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:39 PM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Not rich people. They know how to keep as much of their money as possible and still buy expensive things. It's a knack.
Yup, and the Govt has now made it official, it's called the furlough scheme.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 07:16 AM   #71
Angi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
Have to second this. Boutiques don't discount...You're better off getting some cool swag and building your purchase history.

Yup....it’s so true. I have goten watches that most people wait 5 years plus for using the logic. If I went in asking for deals all the time my collection would probably suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 08:10 AM   #72
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I heard that most Boutiques don't give a discount but ADs do.
You can check the price from Greys first, if the price is less than msrp, the chance that you will get a discount from ADs also, but if the price is higher than msrp, don't make a fool of yourself asking for discount.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:24 AM   #73
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
You can check the price from Greys first, if the price is less than msrp, the chance that you will get a discount from ADs also, but if the price is higher than msrp, don't make a fool of yourself asking for discount.
I have bought a 42mm Polar and 116613LB from my AD at a discount, despite them being offered at higher prices on the UK grey market. As a rule of thumb, your suggestion sounds logical. But it doesn't work in practice.

You say that asking for a discount on a hot item looks foolish. I say that not trying for a discount is foolish. We will hopefully agree to disagree. My personal experience in several sectors, all luxury goods, indicates that discounts are possible - sometimes. Your experience obviously differs. We can each only go on our own experiences.

You may ask and not get. But if you don't ask you definitely won't get. If some think I look foolish walking out of my AD with a brand new 42mm Polar, for less than WF were asking for a non mint two year old example, they can call me a fool all they like :)

I got a decent chunk knocked off my grey Hulk. Nothing off my Z-Blue (AD), CHNR (AD) or SS Sky Dweller (UK grey), although in the case of the Sky Dweller I went to the reputable UK grey dealer asking the lowest price in the first instance. I asked, and sometimes asked more than once, for a discount on all of them.

No purchase was ever contingent on a discount. That would be foolish.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:06 PM   #74
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterling View Post
Yes, that would be the only downside that comes up in my mind, "ruining" a potential relationship with an AD for a couple hundred bucks (potentially) :)
What’s the reality that the AD will be open in a year? That’s a question you have to ask. Yes a couple hundred dollars isn’t much, but why pay it if you don’t have to, it’s your money. Getting a new watch and a bottle of scotch sounds like a better combo, IMHO
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 08:29 PM   #75
Chesterling
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
What’s the difference in price between what your friend will give you and the retail price of the new watch. If it is more than £1000 I would seriously consider keeping your watch and just getting the dial and hands changed to Mark 2 versions at the RSC when you get a service.
Didn't know this was an option tbh, was gonna give my buddy a very good deal about 5000 euro, but its from 2013 so would be needing a service in a couple years I suppose (if he'd choose too)

So if I serviced the watch Rolex would already swap that dial form 2013 for the newer version?

Thanks for this, might look into this
Old 10 May 2020, 08:34 PM   #76
Chesterling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
Have to second this. Boutiques don't discount...You're better off getting some cool swag and building your purchase history.
Yes :) that was the whole point to my question, do I risk ruining a potential "relationship" with an AD over a few bucks or not... what kind of cool swag is there to be had from Rolex? Just out of interest, a guy mentioned a WOLF watchwinder...
Old 10 May 2020, 08:39 PM   #77
Chesterling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would you ask for a discount when you go out for a meal ? , visit the dentist ? Buying fuel ? I totally get it’s a expensive item but a SS Professional model I wouldn’t embarrass the seller or myself even asking, A PM DJ or DD maybe with a cheeky wink 😉 but it’s not my style tbh

If you don’t like the price don’t buy
Its not that expensive really tbh, and I don't recall the explorer really being that popular. I know for a fact the store has one laying around since early March, my question was just if its worth asking or not... just after the best possible scenario...
Old 10 May 2020, 09:08 PM   #78
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterling View Post
Yes :) that was the whole point to my question, do I risk ruining a potential "relationship" with an AD over a few bucks or not... what kind of cool swag is there to be had from Rolex? Just out of interest, a guy mentioned a WOLF watchwinder...
I've seen some cool ROLEX gifts others have posted, including the watch winder, crystal cocktail glasses (which I would like), Rolex chocolates

I've personally received some cool gifts such as an umbrella, a pen, several hats and a cool green tie that will match my green dials.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 10:30 PM   #79
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
There is nothing to lose, other than money, by not asking respectfully for a discount. All they can say is no.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
214270 , europe , explorer , rolex