The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
My thoughts on Apple's new watch, as a WIS and technologist

My thoughts on Apple's new watch, because I can't keep them to myself any longer.

What did they do wrong?

1. The height of the case is far too tall and you’re going to have to wear french cuffs if your a guy, or wear it below your cuffs which is about the most uncomfortable location to wear a wristwatch.
2. Battery life is an obvious issue, if it’s going to die before I get to happy hour what's the use? I have another charger to pack now? Greaaaaaat.
3. So far the only thing this watch can do without being tethered to a phone is play music just as an iPod would, yet you get to sport some sweet wireless bluetooth headphones, but I haven't downloaded music in 4 years and stream everything, so again... useless to me although I clearly have a bias towards streaming.
4. The steel and gold models will be rather expensive compared to other Apple models but inexpensive compared to current gold timepieces. I'm guessing $1k for the steel and $5k for the 18k gold which is insane considering the watch has a finite life span with a maximum of 5 years like any other technology. To drive this home, unless the tech inside this thing is upgradable, the only motivating factory is vulgarity. To quote Gruber who nailed this - "What’s the more ostentatious purchase — a $20,000 Rolex that will last a lifetime, or a $5,000 Apple Watch Edition that will be technically obsolete in four years?"
5. The screen is too small to ever do anything with it regardless of the digital crown and tapping-crap, maybe if this were 2030 and we had projected 3D UIs that were as sharp as the retina that comes on the iPhone 6 it’d be legit, until then it just seems like a pain in the ass and limited at that.
6. Magnetic bracelet clasps? Really? Way to cheapen it up Apple. I simply don't trust an expensive watch fastened together by magnets, and I have my fair share of buckyballs at the office I don't need some around my wrist.

What did they get right?

1. The bracelet design is well executed in that they went with horizontal lugs and a button, and as someone who often changes the straps on their watches this makes it incredibly easy, although time will tell regarding the ruggedness of the design.
2. The case back is more gorgeous than the front resembling a Rolex SeaDweller with the thick black text on stainless, and then the 4 optics in the center - really cool looking for sure.
3. The crown is a cute touch but with no crown guards I foresee it flying off and across the room with the slightest bump against a desk drawer or door.
4. They're taking advantage of the huge gap in luxury timepieces under $5k-$7k, as not much exists there and is essentially for the taking.
5. Their gold model offering will be gravely more costly than the aluminum and steel models, but compared to other 18k gold watches it will be a bargain - if you're into gold paper weights in 5 years that is... kudos to the investors though.

How could they have made this truly innovative?

1. Start with eliminating a battery by expanding on the current self-winding mechanisms to power this thing, if not coupled with Solar.
2. Upgradable tech inside, and I'm not just referring to storage and etc, I mean I want to be able to put in a complete new set of internals and keep my old case. Nothing would be cooler than a 30 year old patina'd steel or gold case with a brand new crystal and technology inside, at least to me, and I'm not even into the steampunk fad.
3. Team up with the best of breed watchmakers or the ones who will play ball and make something truly mind blowing.
4. Buy back and trade-in program coupled with detailed service options (this will likely have to happen but we shall see).

I hope to god Apple disproves me once they release this thing, as I'm no hater, I swur.

Last edited by Porsche958; 18 September 2014 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Typos...
Porsche958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Guess you nailed it all . . .

I really don't see the functionality of the watch . . .

I bought a Note 3 to have a bigger screen and now I should do it all on such a ridiculous small screen . . . ?

And even Apple is contradictious . . . Mr Ive & co made the iPhone bigger . . . so I am out !
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2014, 02:59 PM   #3
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 216570 Blk
I think Apple got a lot right - especially with the sports models. If it isn't already wifi capable, it will be. And when it is, it will be as versatile as any other wifi equipped Apple computer/device. I'm anxious to see what 3rd party developers will do with Apple Watch apps as well.

Clearly, the battery is a key concern. Bluetooth is a power-drain. So, if that's what it uses, it could create power issues with both the watch and the iPhone. I figure 12 hours of use is the bare minimum with 18 hours more optimal. None of the talking Apples said a word about battery use when it was announced.

As for the Edition, I can't see someone shelling out $4-$5k on one, but maybe I'm wrong.
adamlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple , iwatch , rolex , watch