The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like this thread and want to see further results?
Yes, I would like to see further results 48 58.54%
No, not interested and this has been discussed a lot 23 28.05%
I am in different 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 April 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
wkhalaf

Watch: DJ II
Rolex seconds gain/loss analysis

I have seen various threads on TRF relating to the same subject however this time I kind of made an analysis of my own. So far on a 13 days span and still counting.

Facts:
  • Facts
  • Fully winded watch on 19th March 2013 (40 winds)
  • Wearing watch at least 11 hours daily in the beginning of analysis
  • Laying watch with dial uppermost at night (watch on its back)

Noticed the following:
  • Seconds lost per day (Avg) are decreasing DoD
  • Before winding my watch 40 full winds it used to be +1 second daily
  • The more I take off watch and lay it on its back (dial uppermost) it decreases the seconds lost (1st day -5 sec and last day -2 sec lost)

Analysis:
  • I think over-winding might have an affect on loss/gain of seconds till watch settles in
  • I am yet to see if laying the watch in a certain way will make it gain/lose seconds

Please share your thoughts.

NOTE: will keep on updating this post with latest results and updated tables and graphs.
wkhalaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Myself think although most all Rolex will perform to the COSC standard and even at the bottom of the scale they are 99.994% accurate.Last time I checked my watch was around two weeks ago just checked now its less that a minute fast that good enough for me.Please do not become to anal about a few seconds either way,and you cannot over-wind any Rolex auto watch. But you can get the OCD accuracy syndrome,just wear and enjoy your watch in good health. Now that's far more important than a few seconds either way out of 86400 in a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 09:04 PM   #3
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Myself think although most all Rolex will perform to the COSC standard and even at the bottom of the scale they are 99.994% accurate.Last time I checked my watch was around two weeks ago just checked now its less that a minute fast that good enough for me.Please do not become to anal about a few seconds either way,and you cannot over-wind any Rolex auto watch. But you can get the OCD accuracy syndrome,just wear and enjoy your watch in good health. Now that's far more important than a few seconds either way out of 86400 in a day.
LOL now you are accusing me of having a syndrome Mr. Moderator?

Anyhow .. it's nothing in this regard .. instead I want to know my watch better and how it works. I for one .. started disbelieving in all the myths around the internet because I have seen a lot of stuff that are inaccurate (even on TRF unfortunately - Many contradicting stuff).

So I decided to create my own thread in this regard and see how it goes with numbers and figures :)

Stay put for more updates .. (0.0).
Old 1 April 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I don't mind seeing your results. My Sub was just a bit fast when new and now loses about .75 seconds per day, fantastic accuracy. I have found as you have that I can pretty much get it self regulated to + - 0 by placing in the exact position as you, dial up for several hours per day and it gains the .75 right back keeping it right at 0.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 09:26 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkhalaf View Post
LOL now you are accusing me of having a syndrome Mr. Moderator?

Anyhow .. it's nothing in this regard .. instead I want to know my watch better and how it works. I for one .. started disbelieving in all the myths around the internet because I have seen a lot of stuff that are inaccurate (even on TRF unfortunately - Many contradicting stuff).

So I decided to create my own thread in this regard and see how it goes with numbers and figures :)

Stay put for more updates .. (0.0).
Not accusing just stating a fact you can get over OCD with accuracy but as long as any Rolex watch performs to the COSC spec thats fine.Which is that the movement should perform to a AVERAGE of between -4 to+6 seconds over a 24 hour period.If it does not then you have two options live with it or have the watch regulated.Most of the modern day high beat movements 28800 BPH are now not effected so much by different positions like the slower beat movements.But we are only taking about a second or so either way if they do.Many things effect mechanical watches such as gravity,tiny variations in temperature etc.Now on your wrist and wearing habits,the same watch on someone else wrist with there wearing resting habits results could be slightly different .

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 April 2013, 09:46 PM   #6
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
I don't mind seeing your results. My Sub was just a bit fast when new and now loses about .75 seconds per day, fantastic accuracy. I have found as you have that I can pretty much get it self regulated to + - 0 by placing in the exact position as you, dial up for several hours per day and it gains the .75 right back keeping it right at 0.
Thanks for your post .. Will surely keep you posted :)

Quote:
Not accusing just stating a fact you can get over OCD with accuracy but as long as any Rolex watch performs to the COSC spec thats fine.Which is that the movement should perform to a AVERAGE of between -4 to+6 seconds over a 24 hour period.If it does not then you have two options live with it or have the watch regulated.Most of the modern day high beat movements 28800 BPH are now not effected so much by different positions like the slower beat movements.But we are only taking about a second or so either way if they do.Many things effect mechanical watches such as gravity,tiny variations in temperature etc.Now on your wrist and wearing habits,the same watch on someone else wrist with there wearing resting habits results could be slightly different .
I do agree with all what you have mentioned above. But this is an attempt to just explore my watch a little bit more .. and just understand how it reacts to different behavior, which may benefit others (through sharing).
Old 1 April 2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Hubertus

When did you buy the watch? Give it some weeks time first before starting the test.
Hubertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 09:53 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks for your post .. Will surely keep you posted :)

I do agree with all what you have mentioned above. But this is an attempt to just explore my watch a little bit more .. and just understand how it reacts to different behavior, which may benefit others (through sharing).
Well good luck in your personal findings,but like I said in my post your personal findings could be totally different to exactly the same watch on someone else wrist.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 April 2013, 09:53 PM   #9
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertus View Post
When did you buy the watch? Give it some weeks time first before starting the test.
Thanks for your post .. Already had it for 12 months now

Just decided to watch it a little bit closer ..
Old 1 April 2013, 09:54 PM   #10
wkhalaf

Quote:
Well good luck in your personal findings,but like I said in my post your personal findings could be totally different to exactly the same watch on someone else wrist.

Thanks a lot :)

I'll surely benefit from your experience as well :)
Old 1 April 2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Hubertus

Ok, then should work. Try different positions at night. But - is always not so good as +

Anyway you should monitor for 3 to 4 weeks.
Hubertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 10:05 PM   #12
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

hi Wkhalaf, nice thread, keep up the good work and keep updating this thread

mine was similar with yours, always losing seconds
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Your -10, -6 and -9 results in the 'per day' column are incorrect.
You need to divide those figures by 3, 2 and 3 if you want to have cred.

Looks like yours is about -3/day.
I prefer +2 to +3 as it makes for a simple hack and release rather than a minute hand reset.

Welcome to the OCD club mate.

I have an excel timing spread sheet that came to me from another Forum member. PM me your email address - I'm sure you would like to play with it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 10:16 PM   #14
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertus View Post
Ok, then should work. Try different positions at night. But - is always not so good as +

Anyway you should monitor for 3 to 4 weeks.
Yea I agree .. I wish I was on the + side haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL1213 View Post
hi Wkhalaf, nice thread, keep up the good work and keep updating this thread

mine was similar with yours, always losing seconds
Thanks alot CKL1213 :D Appreciate your post .. :) Will keep updating

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Your -10, -6 and -9 results in the 'per day' column are incorrect.
You need to divide those figures by 3, 2 and 3 if you want to have cred.

Looks like yours is about -3/day.
I prefer +2 to +3 as it makes for a simple hack and release rather than a minute hand reset.

Welcome to the OCD club mate.

I have an excel timing spread sheet that came to me from another Forum member. PM me your email address - I'm sure you would like to play with it.
Thanks a lot .. I have updated the sheet already to reflect the same.

Please refer to the below table:

hahahahaha OCD club .. i like the sound of that :D

will PM you my email address now. Thanks a lot and much appreciated :D
Old 1 April 2013, 10:19 PM   #15
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
Peter is right about OCD about time accuracy . I have it, and I stopped checking it daily. Did it for years on all my rolexes I bought. Now I set the time, check it for ONE day then wear and enjoy. Doing this gives me a lot more enjoyment !
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 11:33 PM   #16
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Ahhh I see it now, a banner at the bottom of my signature page - Proud member in good standing of the TRF OCD club!!!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 11:52 PM   #17
VADanno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Turn-O-Graph
I'm going through Rolex OCD withdrawal. My watch is at the Dallas RSC for its seven year "spa month". The Citizen JDM divers watch that is taking its place for the month uses a quartz heart, and refuses to vary at all. It is freeing up a minute each morning that I typically used to hack my 3135. What should I do with this gift of time?
VADanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2013, 12:08 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADanno View Post
I'm going through Rolex OCD withdrawal. My watch is at the Dallas RSC for its seven year "spa month". The Citizen JDM divers watch that is taking its place for the month uses a quartz heart, and refuses to vary at all. It is freeing up a minute each morning that I typically used to hack my 3135. What should I do with this gift of time?
Dan take my advice when you get your watch back check once a week or so, would doubt even then will it be more than a minute or so either way out.Life is too short to worry about a few seconds out of 86400 in a day.The most important thing is that everyday you beat your own previous record for number of consecutive days you have stayed alive.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 3 April 2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Andad

x2

Old 3 April 2013, 07:03 PM   #20
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Great thread, I had never stumbled across the posts relating to the obsession that I have. It's not a myth!!! It really amazes how good of time my watch keeps, stays steady at +10 to 15 seconds. Doesn't matter what position I lay it down in.
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 08:43 PM   #21
LeotheLion

Watch: GMT2 and Datejust
I said this in response to a previous post.*At 81 yrs old,as long as my watch is not gaining I'm quite happy.....
LeotheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 08:58 PM   #22
Elementa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
If it makes you happy man, go for it. I used to do this, it was fun for a while I admit, but in the end, it's a watch. I do what men have done for over 100 years, I reset from time to time (ha!).

I wish you a happy journey.
Elementa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 09:00 PM   #23
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post
Great thread, I had never stumbled across the posts relating to the obsession that I have. It's not a myth!!! It really amazes how good of time my watch keeps, stays steady at +10 to 15 seconds. Doesn't matter what position I lay it down in.
Post up your results on the spread sheet and let us see how it looks.

Old 3 April 2013, 09:02 PM   #24
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementa View Post
If it makes you happy man, go for it. I used to do this, it was fun for a while I admit, but in the end, it's a watch. I do what men have done for over 100 years, I reset from time to time (ha!).

I wish you a happy journey.
Thanks a lot Elementa for your post ..
Old 14 April 2013, 07:04 PM   #25
wkhalaf

Here is a status update ..

Watch is settling at -3 sec per day .. I'm just wondering why did it drop 5 seconds on first day after winding :s

Old 14 April 2013, 08:10 PM   #26
rainbowmax
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
I have seen various threads on TRF relating to the same subject however this time I kind of made an analysis of my own. So far on a 13 days span and still counting.

Facts:
  • Facts
  • Fully winded watch on 19th March 2013 (40 winds)
  • Wearing watch at least 11 hours daily in the beginning of analysis
  • Laying watch with dial uppermost at night (watch on its back)

Noticed the following:
  • Seconds lost per day (Avg) are decreasing DoD
  • Before winding my watch 40 full winds it used to be +1 second daily
  • The more I take off watch and lay it on its back (dial uppermost) it decreases the seconds lost (1st day -5 sec and last day -2 sec lost)

Analysis:
  • I think over-winding might have an affect on loss/gain of seconds till watch settles in
  • I am yet to see if laying the watch in a certain way will make it gain/lose seconds

Please share your thoughts.

NOTE: will keep on updating this post with latest results and updated tables and graphs.
rainbowmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2013, 08:12 PM   #27
storm66
"TRF" Member

My 14060 has only gained +2 seconds in just over a week,which I think is fantastic....I fully wound it a couple of weeks ago and it gained +5 seconds in a couple of days so I won't be doing that again............what has been bought to my attention though is the fact that there are 84600 seconds in a day!
Time for me to look after my Heart a bit more!!!!!!!
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2013, 08:23 PM   #28
rainbowmax
"TRF" Member

on my experience, it takes almost a month until the watch runs properly and regularly(I'm talking about a brand new one), after that period of time my subc has been gaining 0.5 sec. which is a fantastic performance.
rainbowmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2013, 08:27 PM   #29
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmax View Post
on my experience, it takes almost a month until the watch runs properly and regularly(I'm talking about a brand new one), after that period of time my subc has been gaining 0.5 sec. which is a fantastic performance.
Thanks for your post

The watch in discussion in this thread is almost 1 year old .. it used to gain +1 sec per day but now it is -3 secs per day..

I will keep on recording the time change till 30 May 2013 and then i'll drain the watch from it's power and wind it only partially and see how it works.
Old 14 April 2013, 08:47 PM   #30
submariner123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
couldn't give a toss.
submariner123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown , seconds , watch , wind