The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 May 2020, 11:44 PM   #1
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Renewed Love

Anyone noticed a renewed love for Panerai recently? Maybe new members, or a lack of Rolex stock, but it feels refreshing
Old 16 May 2020, 12:05 AM   #2
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
I'm new to Panerai but not because of a lack of watches from Rolex but because Panerai's are different, they offer a different perspective on what your watch can look like.

I am firmly of the opinion that a watch box should contain lots of different watches and if you own a 'Dive' watch it will have a similar look irrespective of brand. At a glance most of the Rolex SS Sport range looks the same, throw in a Seamaster 300 professional and it could easily be mistaken for a Rolex, this applies to other brands as well.

So in my watch box I want to see watches that are showcasing different styles and designs, for me there are too many watches that look the same, something that you cannot ever say about Panerai.

Just my 10c of uninformed opinion.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 12:22 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Am guilty as charged, yet always admired the Panerai timepieces. Very much remember the whole big fad during the Rambo days too. It's nothing much to do with Rolex availability as have all the usual suspects. Guess i finally got around the procuring a Panerai :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:58 AM   #4
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
in my opinion, panerai is contemporary, more like fashion. rolex is robust and timeless. i love both, have 2 from each brand in my collection. the 2020 releases so far look nice, but still waiting for rolex, AP(hope for a thinner, 41mm royal oak offshore diver) to release their new watches before i adding the fifth, haha.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 02:14 AM   #5
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

the lack of Rolex and great value has me dabbling back in Panerai
Old 16 May 2020, 02:30 AM   #6
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I am new to Panerai, but have had many brands rolex, hublot ,iwc,AP etc. I love them ! They are so versatile from the beach to dress up in seconds. Besides I don't see that many around which I like.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 03:24 AM   #7
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
At the very least its nice to not listen to so much BS complaining by the "old timers" in the Panerai world. And by "old timers" Im referring to people who where only interested in Panerai to make a buck. Those of us who love the brand for what it is never left.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 03:36 AM   #8
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
in my opinion, panerai is contemporary, more like fashion. rolex is robust and timeless. i love both, have 2 from each brand in my collection. the 2020 releases so far look nice, but still waiting for rolex, AP(hope for a thinner, 41mm royal oak offshore diver) to release their new watches before i adding the fifth, haha.
Not sure that I concur, and this comment is based simply on what I have seen in the last few weeks of researching Panerai.

To my eye very little has changed on any of the major brands, the design of watches is fairly stale, yes dials and bezels can be of new materials, exhibition casebooks are now common but the overall look of a watch remains unaltered.

Panerai is different, the design is different, the fact that the watches are large is something that goes against the 39mm watch diameter is perfect mantra, this to me is good because it makes us look at things from another perspective.

Just my newbie opinion.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 03:54 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Maybe because the brand stopped putting out a ridiculous number of LE and consumers were given time to forget how the brand watered down the value of their own pieces and hurt their customers?

Plus
the preowned prices are very fair at the moment for many of their base models... base models (ETA) are always a solid choice.
Old 16 May 2020, 09:47 PM   #10
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have always been a Panerai fan despite the company doing their best to put me off. I have a place in my collection for a few models and always enjoy the wear and look. I currently own a 1616 and a 720. I have a 422 on order and may also pick up a 1389. We will see.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 03:02 PM   #11
Ben07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ii
I am a newbie to Panerai but been reading about the brand for almost a year now. Did my research on the history, a certain Mr Stallone (my action hero in the 80s), the Brooklyn Scandal, a whole thread on it being a "fashion watch" etc. Took me a while to pull the trigger though as I dont have access to an AD or a Boutique to try one. Heck, I have a small 7in wrist but I have a 38mm Sarb 033 and a 50mm Seiko Tuna in my collection and think I can pull it off. There is something about a 44mm watch with a unique crown Guard that always intrigue me. Now I am eyeing a Submersible and a blue Radiomir.
Ben07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 04:10 PM   #12
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I’m new to Panerai. Own many Rolexes and other brands, but Panerai seems to offer some good value now. I am quite concerned however about the size, would welcome any thoughts on it. Too big?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 06:06 PM   #13
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
I’m new to Panerai. Own many Rolexes and other brands, but Panerai seems to offer some good value now. I am quite concerned however about the size, would welcome any thoughts on it. Too big?

The best advice is try them on. It’s really surprising what you’ll feel comfortable wearing. I’ve found my sweet spot to be 44mm Luminor, after really wanting to like the Radiomir range. I’m on my second after selling my original 390 for this early 233. Don’t forget they are meant to be large, but most are well balanced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2C31F1C6-A561-42F1-BF63-E270F5B27C8F.jpeg (200.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 31 May 2020, 01:43 AM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
The best advice is try them on. It’s really surprising what you’ll feel comfortable wearing. I’ve found my sweet spot to be 44mm Luminor, after really wanting to like the Radiomir range. I’m on my second after selling my original 390 for this early 233. Don’t forget they are meant to be large, but most are well balanced.

Thanks so much for that thoughtful guidance. Yes, I’m trying to find an open shop that sells these so I can try them on. I was very close to pulling the trigger, but simply got scared about the possibility that I would find it too large

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 03:21 AM   #15
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I’ve found myself looking more & more at some older pieces... ones I’ve owned before maybe 10 or 15 years ago, mainly base & ti references in 44mm bettarini.. I’ve always wanted a 372 in smaller form, probably not possible. There’s some 42mm models that have also driven some renewed interest recently. Not due. I gave up on knowing all ref. Numbers in about 2010

Old 31 May 2020, 11:26 AM   #16
HaiovR
"TRF" Member

Yes, I did noticed that the popularity is back. That’s good, Panerai is a cool brand)
HaiovR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 01:25 PM   #17
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Panerai is great in my book. Never fell out of style/fashion for me.

I Have a few of their watches and LOVE wearing them (mostly on the weekends).
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 02:56 AM   #18
Bobby T
Banned

Love the way they look............I am not a fan of how they market their products however.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panerai