The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 July 2009, 03:46 AM   #1
ventivent
"TRF" Member

Accuracy of a vintage Rolex 1016

First off, I'm a Rolex newb. After several years of toiling away at medical school and residency, I finally have some disposable income, and splurged on my dream watch, a circa 1983 Rolex 1016, 1570 movement, hacking.

It was purchased from a watch dealer, who serviced the watch before sending it out to me. It's a great watch, and I have been using it as my daily wearer. I wear it for about 12-15 hours, and then lay it flat, face-up at night. I notice that it gains about 5-6 seconds a day. Is this a reasonable expectation regarding this watch's accuracy, or can/should it be better? Will taking it to a Rolex Authorized Service Center help significantly?

I have read that placing the watch vertically, crown up will help with a watch that runs a few seconds fast/day, and have yet to try that.

Thanks for your help.
ventivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 04:17 AM   #2
adam78
"TRF" Member

This is still within chronometer specs, of course, but it may be possible to further regulate the movement to get it to within 2-3 seconds/day or better. It is better to time it over a week or so and and calculate the average per day. It is best to find a good local watchmaker to regulate the watch, if necessary. It's such a pain to have to send it somewhere! It should only take 10 minutes or so.

For some reason, with the 15XX series of movements, I've found that after the second day on my wrist, the watch tends to keep better time than during the first two days.

Oh, how about some photos! ;)
Old 23 July 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

adam brings up an excellent point. Don't confuse accuracy with regulation. If the watch gains (or loses) consistently it is indeed a very accurate watch....just needs regulation.

Vintage pieces properly serviced and regulated can be very "accurate" indeed. I have several that are within +1 to 2 seconds a day.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
ventivent
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a quick picture. BTW, I was concerned about scratching the crystal, so I found a website that sells crystal protectors called Clear View Skins - they sell custom cut protectors for watch crystals; works great.

ventivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2009, 11:10 PM   #5
adam78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventivent View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a quick picture. BTW, I was concerned about scratching the crystal, so I found a website that sells crystal protectors called Clear View Skins - they sell custom cut protectors for watch crystals; works great.
Looks great. Is that the original domed crystal? You needn't worry about scratches. You can use Brasso or Polywatch to buff out superficial scratches. It was meant to be worn unadorned!
Old 23 July 2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Lol-x
Facilitator

Looks like an awesome 1016. Damn I'm going to have to give mine some wrist time now

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote