The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 November 2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Bespoke suits NYC/NJ

Gents - looking for a taylor who can build me a nice suit. Cant be an old guy since i have never had luck with an older guy since my style is modern. Wear my suits very slim and almost painted on. I have literslly ripped two suit oants in the ass in the last month since i have been hitting the weights hard. Any reccomendations in NYC or North NJ?
Jbranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 11:48 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
According ** new GQ magazine on style: skinny suits are OUT of style unless the wearer is skinny, in which case they are great.

Most American men are **o thick and look like stuffed sausages in skin tight suits. Like New Jersey mafia. IMO and in the opinion of many fashion gurus, this trend is over. But if it works for ***, then go for it.

I would go ** Barneys of Bergdorfs or Ralph Lauren, who all do cus**m versions of their suits. I just bought I skinny Black Label from Ralph Lauren that fits like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbranda View Post
Gents - looking for a taylor who can build me a nice suit. Cant be an old guy since i have never had luck with an older guy since my style is modern. Wear my suits very slim and almost painted on. I have literslly ripped two suit oants in the ass in the last month since i have been hitting the weights hard. Any reccomendations in NYC or North NJ?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
According ** new GQ magazine on style: skinny suits are OUT of style unless the wearer is skinny, in which case they are great.

Most American men are **o thick and look like stuffed sausages in skin tight suits. Like New Jersey mafia. IMO and in the opinion of many fashion gurus, this trend is over. But if it works for ***, then go for it.

I would go ** Barneys of Bergdorfs or Ralph Lauren, who all do cus**m versions of their suits. I just bought I skinny Black Label from Ralph Lauren that fits like a charm.
I can promise *** i am not one of those guys. Theres a difference betweem muscular and thick. Thanks for the reccomendation
Old 5 November 2014, 01:35 PM   #4
prs77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Glashutte-Original
Bespoke suits NYC/NJ

*** are very fortunate that *** have access ** NYC. Most of the tailoring houses from Savile Row in London make multiple trips ** the US each year. New York City is always on the list of cities that they visit. Each house has their own personality, so maybe check out their websites and visit the Style Forum site ** find out which place is best for ***. Since *** tend ** like the slimmer style suits *** probably are going ** like somebody like Richard Anderson. Some of the tailoring houses might have made ** measure (MTM) suits that work great with ***r body. If not, each house has a fully bespoke option where *** can get exactly the suit *** want. Look at the following:

http://www.richardandersonltd.com/
http://www.h-huntsman.com/
http://dege-skinner.co.uk/
http://www.nor**nandsons.co.uk/
prs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Is this a Star City post ?

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 02:27 PM   #6
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
If your pants are ripping, it isn't well tailored to your body. There is an acceptable form of fitting and then there isn't Your suits sound to be the latter.

I wear made to measure, all very slim and fitted. I can sit, stand, kneel and bend without coming close to pulling the seams.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 02:31 PM   #7
tfly212
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona or BLNR
I go to Michael Andrews Bespoke in SoHo. Great service and tons of customization choices.
tfly212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 11:32 PM   #8
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Wear my suits very slim and almost painted on. I have literslly ripped two suit oants in the ass in the last month since i have been hitting the weights hard.
are people really serious or make this stuff up
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 12:09 AM   #9
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prs77 View Post
*** are very fortunate that *** have access ** NYC. Most of the tailoring houses from Savile Row in London make multiple trips ** the US each year. New York City is always on the list of cities that they visit. Each house has their own personality, so maybe check out their websites and visit the Style Forum site ** find out which place is best for ***. Since *** tend ** like the slimmer style suits *** probably are going ** like somebody like Richard Anderson. Some of the tailoring houses might have made ** measure (MTM) suits that work great with ***r body. If not, each house has a fully bespoke option where *** can get exactly the suit *** want. Look at the following:

http://www.richardandersonltd.com/
http://www.h-huntsman.com/
http://dege-skinner.co.uk/
http://www.nor**nandsons.co.uk/
thank you sir. Ever hear of Saint Laurie?
Old 6 November 2014, 12:41 AM   #10
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Brother in law loves "mysuit" in NYC
Old 6 November 2014, 12:44 AM   #11
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Lord Willy's
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 01:50 AM   #12
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Men's Warehouse!
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 03:43 AM   #13
Challenger Deep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
It seems to me that Tom Ford would have something like what you are looking for. I was displeased with the tailoring that was featured on Daniel Craig, which is a very slim cut and fitted suit for his body.

But if that's what you like, then go ahead and find that. Tom Ford is my suggestion. I don't know about the availability of his clothes in NYC, NJ but that's my two cents.
"I need to establish my own limits. When i reach those limits, i am willing to overcome them and establish new ones. I do not know how far i can go. I have an understanding of wht i'm doing, but do not know how far it can take me."-Ayrton Senna.
Challenger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 04:32 AM   #14
prs77
"TRF" Member

I have never heard of Saint Laurie, however I checked out their website. There are some good things they mention. First, they perform all of their tailoring on the premises, which is a good thing. Most custom tailoring is now done in Hong Kong or a variety of other places. A tailor might measure you at their shop and then send your measurements to Hong Kong. Usually, you get your finished suit completed and sent back to you without a second fitting. This is not a good idea. On the Saint Laurie site, they mentioned that you get a second fitting with a semi completed suit. This is your opportunity to tell the tailor if you want something tighter, looser, shorter, longer, etc. It's the best part of the custom tailoring experience, and it means that you get exactly the suit you want. They never mention the word bespoke, so I'm assuming you are getting a made to measure suit. However, for most people this will still be the best suit they own. It will fit better than any ready to wear suit by the name brand designers. Here are some things to look for in your suit:
1) High armholes
2) Fully handsewn and not machine sewn
3) Full floating canvas (never purchase fused canvas)
4) Functional jacket sleeve buttons (not merely decorative)
5) Horn buttons (not synthetic)
6) Functional lapel hole
7) I personal like pick stitching, but not everyone does
Old 6 November 2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have never heard of Saint Laurie, however I checked out their website. There are some good things they mention. First, they perform all of their tailoring on the premises, which is a good thing. Most custom tailoring is now done in Hong Kong or a variety of other places. A tailor might measure you at their shop and then send your measurements to Hong Kong. Usually, you get your finished suit completed and sent back to you without a second fitting. This is not a good idea. On the Saint Laurie site, they mentioned that you get a second fitting with a semi completed suit. This is your opportunity to tell the tailor if you want something tighter, looser, shorter, longer, etc. It's the best part of the custom tailoring experience, and it means that you get exactly the suit you want. They never mention the word bespoke, so I'm assuming you are getting a made to measure suit. However, for most people this will still be the best suit they own. It will fit better than any ready to wear suit by the name brand designers. Here are some things to look for in your suit:
1) High armholes
2) Fully handsewn and not machine sewn
3) Full floating canvas (never purchase fused canvas)
4) Functional jacket sleeve buttons (not merely decorative)
5) Horn buttons (not synthetic)
6) Functional lapel hole
7) I personal like pick stitching, but not everyone does
So i went to Saint Laurie today and the owner fits you. It is fully custom and i start eith the fabric then he gets very in depth with ever aspect ofmyour suit. Imopted for the fully functional button holes on the sleeve as he told me this is one of the easiest ways for you for the traind eye to know your suit is custom. I went with the itslian fabric and learned a lot about custom suits and suits overall. Cant wait to see how the suit turns out. Only downfall is the 6 week wait and thats only to go for your second fitting
Old 6 November 2014, 10:51 AM   #16
prs77
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! I'm sure you're going to love your new suit. What kind of cloth did you end up choosing?
Old 6 November 2014, 01:17 PM   #17
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
I've never seen a suit from Hong Kong to outdo an Italian.

This is a Zegna

VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 02:01 PM   #18
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
I've never seen a suit from Hong Kong to outdo an Italian.

This is a Zegna

When people refer to suits from Hong Kong, they are referring to the British cut suits, not Chinese, due to the UK's 99 year lease. There are still multi-generation master suit makers in Hong Kong.

Modern Italian cut suits are more similar to British than Italian.
Old 6 November 2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
What's a 'suit'?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 06:36 PM   #20
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Bespoke suits NYC/NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
When people refer to suits from Hong Kong, they are referring to the British cut suits, not Chinese, due to the UK's 99 year lease. There are still multi-generation master suit makers in Hong Kong.

Modern Italian cut suits are more similar to British than Italian.

It's not the master suit makers in Hong Kong that's the issue. It is impossible to get a good fit the 1st time, so those guys do the rough sketch, then the companies here use their tailors to finish it off.

All these 'bespoke' clothiers try to imitate a high-end suit for less $ than a good suit off the rack. Many don't even know how to measure. That is where the problem starts.

The ones that I've seen, so I'll qualify it that way, all try to look 'bespoke' but starting from the fabric, to the buttons, to the pockets, lapels, even the stitching of the owner's name on the inside looks cheap.

I've heard of St Laurie and the good part about them is that all is done in house - but they also charge more than a company like mysuit.com or Tom James. Mohan's in NYC as an example, makes absolute crap. I went there on a recommendation from a coworker and the quality of everything was subpar (spent around $10k for 4 suits). They threw in 4 shirts, which I donated.

Look also at Stephen Kempson - high end true custom suit. Once one tries Stephen's work, they wouldn't contact the others I mentioned.

When you see these ads for custom suits for $500-700/suit, honestly, you get what you pay for.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 02:10 AM   #21
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

You're describing made to measure suits which is not the same as bespoke.

I agree with you that 99% of the population can buy a great off the rack suit and be satisfied with the fit but those aren't the custom suit customers.

Unless your body matches a mannequins, the fit is almost never perfect. Department store and even boutique tailors won't go beyond the free hemming.

Made to measure provides a much better fit out the the box, since it's made to your measurements and then fine tuned from there.

Bespoke in the other hand, creates the perfect fit through multiple baste fittings.

There is no comparison between the look of bespoke and off the rack. Made to measure is somewhere in the middle.

I personally haven't committed to a bespoke suit but have several off the rack and made to measure suits from Angelo Galasso, Louis Purple and Mysuit. The fit and finish is far better than off the rack but the fabrics of Mysuit are garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 November 2014, 02:21 AM   #22
locutus49
Banned

There are gradations and most people don't understand the difference between custom and made-to-measure.

I got hooked on custom suits in Japan, with a tailor who made suits for many of the Embassy community.

In the US, in D.C., I used a former Saville Row tailor who made suits precisely to my specs. This was 15 years ago, before the average person was aware of pick stitching and working cuff buttons. I brought in a Dunhill blazer and asked him to use it as a model.

Now I am retired and gave away all my suits, as they are out of style. But just last month bought a Ralph Lauren black suit and had it customized and they were happy to do so (the first button hole on my cuffs I had stitched in red, that sort of thing). Ralph's higher end suits are made in Italy but with a British cut.

Most people could care less and are fine buying off the rack. But for those who care, there are many options.

Quote:

I agree with you that 99% of the population can buy a great off the rack suit and be satisfied with the fit but those aren't the custom suit customers.

Unless your body matches a mannequins, the fit is almost never perfect. Department store and even boutique tailors won't go beyond the free hemming.

Made to measure provides a much better fit out the the box, since it's made to your measurements and then fine tuned from there.

Bespoke in the other hand, creates the perfect fit through multiple baste fittings.

There is no comparison between the look of bespoke and off the rack. Made to measure is somewhere in the middle.

I personally haven't committed to a bespoke suit but have several off the rack and made to measure suits from Angelo Galasso, Louis Purple and Mysuit. The fit and finish is far better than off the rack but the fabrics of Mysuit are garbage

Old 7 November 2014, 02:38 AM   #23
prs77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
It's not the master suit makers in Hong Kong that's the issue. It is impossible to get a good fit the 1st time, so those guys do the rough sketch, then the companies here use their tailors to finish it off.
Vici is completely correct with this statement. The fit and construction is everything when it comes to a suit. Even the best tailors in the world rarely get everything perfect on the first try. That is why a second or third fitting is so crucial to make sure you are happy. There are a lot of companies popping up now trying to cash in on the "Bespoke" name. Almost all of them are offering custom, or made to measure suits. They are NOT offering a true bespoke suit, such as you would find on Savile Row or numerous other notable places. Made to measure suits are all based off a standard pattern that each tailoring house creates. They alter this standard pattern based off your measurements and they hope that it creates a good fit. Sometimes this is going to be impossible if you have proportions that don't match up well with their pattern. A true bespoke tailoring house will create your own unique pattern. Individuals spend years training to perform just one step in the entire process. One person only creates patterns, another cuts your cloth, another creates the jacket, and another creates the trousers. In the end, it can take 50-80 hours to create your true bespoke suit. A bespoke suit can start between $4,000-$5,000, which is truly a bargain when you consider it was handmade by artisans and it took 80 hours to create. Just like a Rolex, this garment will last you a lifetime! Most tailoring houses will include free alterations for life. They will construct the garment in such a way that there is a little room for adjustments. As you gain or lost weight over the years, they can make sure your suit still fits great.
Old 7 November 2014, 06:14 AM   #24
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I guess like anything else, depends on what you want to spend. A friend had used "Beau by Aksel Paris" in NYC and was pleased with what he got. I have zero experience with them though. To VICI's point, the issue is probably for truly bespoke, you will need a few fittings to get it perfect...

Personally, I do think these are a better starting point than buying OTR. Also depends on your frame...I have a pretty small stomach/waist but lift quite a bit, so OTR never fits perfect. If you have a more normal frame, maybe a properly constructed OTR suit does the trick.

In NJ, I have heard Carlos from Summit Tailors does good work, and believe he does it all in-house. Last I heard suits were starting in the $1500 range.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 06:19 AM   #25
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congratulations! I'm sure you're going to love your new suit. What kind of cloth did you end up choosing?
I went italian stripped
Old 7 November 2014, 06:21 AM   #26
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So technically i am in the early stages of the bespoke process
Old 7 November 2014, 06:31 AM   #27
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I went italian stripped
No, he means what fabric....

VBC, Zegna, Loro Piana, Holland and Sherry, etc
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 09:34 AM   #28
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
So technically i am in the early stages of the bespoke process
It's quite possible.

If your next fitting is an assembled suit, that process is closer to made to measure than bespoke.

I know there are some members here that are far more knowledgeable than I about this process but my understanding is that a baste fitting is critical for your first suit with any bespoke suitmaker because that is the template used to cut the fabric to your exact measurements.

So if you end up trying something like the picture below, you're definitely getting bespoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baste.jpg (37.8 KB, 120 views)
Old 7 November 2014, 09:53 AM   #29
locutus49
Banned

Find out where The Situation and other stars of Jersey Shore get their suits made. They probably have a tailor who specializes in beefy, muscular guys.

Quote:
I went italian stripped
Old 7 November 2014, 10:07 AM   #30
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
a bit off topic,
but i have been on the hunt for suits as i have started a new job…

the biggest issue i am having is finding a tailor that cares and has some talent.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote