The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Ruddiger
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Milgauss Z-Blue vs Rhodium Datejust II vs Hulk

Howdy,

I'm getting close to my first major Rolex purchase (Polar Explorer II). Since it took me a year and a half to decide which darn color to get I now have the funds to possibly purchase a second watch. One of the few instances where vacillating has truly paid off!

As the title suggests I have narrowed it down to three options, each compelling in their own right and all of them destined to be future purchases. Unfortunately, since it took a very long time to decide on the Polar Explorer II, I am likely looking at the same dilemma with these three watches.

My thought on the following are:

Milgauss-I love the obscurity in comparison to other models and the faraday cage. The quirkiness is a huge appeal, as is the green crystal. The cons are the dial, which at times can be awesome and other times underwhelming. My daughter, who has really gotten into the whole watch experience with me, loves this watch so there is a strong temptation to get it with the idea that someday I would give it to her.

Datejust II-Normally I wouldn't go for this option as its very ubiquitous, however, the Rhodium dial and Arabic numbers really sets it apart from what I think of when I think Datejust. My daughter and I really love the lume in particular with the blue and green colors. Plus, the date feature is a nice bonus. If the Milgauss and the Explorer II fly under the radar this certainly flies above it which, at times is cool, but other times not so much.

Hulk-What can I say, its just cool. Very unique and, to me, the best and only Sub that sings to me. Like the Datejust, however, it screams Rolex but I'm worried it screams it too loud.

As I said, I suspect all of these, and the BLNR, will eventually be purchased as my goal was to get one a year. However, since I'm already into year two I can now do two and leverage the dual purchase to a larger discount so I'm reluctant to buy one and think about the other..... assuming I can figure it out.

Any insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. While the final decision will be arrived at on my own its very helpful for me to hear other perspectives.

Thanks in advance!

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 09:41 PM   #2
guelerct
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Grey Side
I vote Milgauss to pair with the Polar as the dressier option. Having electric blue and white faces is a cool kit!
guelerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 09:47 PM   #3
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

I have the DJII rhodium/Arabic and love it! Such a different looking DJ. When looking for my second, I briefly considered a z-blue, but ultimately went for a BLNR. I feel like I kept trying to talk myself into the Milgauss but really wanted the BLNR.

All I can say is take your time (which it sounds like you are).

Each of the 3 you listed are great in their own right but all very different. I'm assuming the money isn't a factor b/c the price points are all different and depending where you buy you likely will be able to get a better discount on one vs. another (i.e. DJII vs. Hulk).

Is this piece going to be a daily wear, business attire, casual only? You lifestyle should help you decide which to choose.

Sounds like a good problem to have! You can't go wrong.
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 10:01 PM   #4
Cru Jones

that's a lot of thinking....try closing your eyes and think of which one comes first to your mind. 95% chance that's the right one and the "keeper" among the three. if you *really* can't decide, then, keep looking, as none of them are the one.

for me, it's the LVc without a doubt. all the goodness of a submariner with the added twist of an amazing dial that you don't see very often out and about.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 10:06 PM   #5
Ruddiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
I have the DJII rhodium/Arabic and love it! Such a different looking DJ. When looking for my second, I briefly considered a z-blue, but ultimately went for a BLNR. I feel like I kept trying to talk myself into the Milgauss but really wanted the BLNR.

All I can say is take your time (which it sounds like you are).

Each of the 3 you listed are great in their own right but all very different. I'm assuming the money isn't a factor b/c the price points are all different and depending where you buy you likely will be able to get a better discount on one vs. another (i.e. DJII vs. Hulk).

Is this piece going to be a daily wear, business attire, casual only? You lifestyle should help you decide which to choose.

Sounds like a good problem to have! You can't go wrong.

Howdy,

Great questions. I was thinking daily wear regardless of which model I picked although, admittedly, the Explorer II and the Hulk are certainly the more casual of the lot. I wear a disguise (suit) for work but dress extremely casual in almost all other settings so each has their merits. More often then not I'm dressed in very casual attire.

Part of the appeal of the Milgauss and the Datejust II is the more formal contrast it poses to the sportier models. I think that would help to keep things fresh if I got tired of wearing one and wanted to switch to the other, etc.

The Lv Sub on the other hand is a guilty pleasure of sorts for obvious reasons. While in my professional life I would prefer some people not to notice my watch, there are times where I admit the opposite is true. I'm just not sure how noticeable I want it to be.

As you aptly pointed out I'm certainly prepared to take my time as I've waited this long.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Old 17 March 2016, 11:24 PM   #6
jbenjamin1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
First off all 3 watches you have selected are excellent choices ( I own 2 of the 3 with the Rhodium being on my wishlist).

The Hulk is just such a beautiful watch however I think you should go for a smooth bezel option to pair with your Polar. The Milgauss Blue (which I have owned) is a great watch however I felt the crystal overwhelms the dial a bit and wish they had painted the hour markers at 3,6, & 9 orange to match the overall theme.

Vote: Datejust II 116300 Rhodium/Arabic
jbenjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 02:01 AM   #7
Ruddiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenjamin1 View Post
First off all 3 watches you have selected are excellent choices ( I own 2 of the 3 with the Rhodium being on my wishlist).

The Hulk is just such a beautiful watch however I think you should go for a smooth bezel option to pair with your Polar. The Milgauss Blue (which I have owned) is a great watch however I felt the crystal overwhelms the dial a bit and wish they had painted the hour markers at 3,6, & 9 orange to match the overall theme.

Vote: Datejust II 116300 Rhodium/Arabic
Howdy,

Funny you said that about the Milgauss in regards to the 3, 6 & 9 markers as I feel the same way. If I went with the Datejust II I'm not sure if I would get the smooth or the fluted but I'm leaning towards the fluted.

Thanks,

Ruddiger
Old 18 March 2016, 07:26 AM   #8
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
IMG_0656.jpg

aperna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 08:18 AM   #9
jbenjamin1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
Ruddiger, honestly you can't go wrong on a DJ II with either bezel. I went fluted for bling factor; shines nicely in the light! I also feel scratches are less noticeable on the white gold bezel. My explorer I is domed and i pick up the faint swirls and scratches rather easily.
jbenjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 08:26 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
that's a lot of thinking....try closing your eyes and think of which one comes first to your mind. 95% chance that's the right one and the "keeper" among the three. if you *really* can't decide, then, keep looking, as none of them are the one.

for me, it's the LVc without a doubt. all the goodness of a submariner with the added twist of an amazing dial that you don't see very often out and about.

Hell of an argument, counsellor.

And Cru, huge thanks for all the threads and pics yesterday, mate.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 08:31 AM   #11
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
The Migauss is the perfect Exp2 companion. Two under the radar watches.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 08:58 AM   #12
Shichinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubCND/Speedy
I think Milgauss would be a great companion for your Explorer.
Shichinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 09:08 AM   #13
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

of those 3, milgauss, then hulk, then DJII
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 09:55 PM   #14
Ruddiger

Howdy,

Thanks all for the replies. After visiting the AD yesterday the BLNR is now in play as well. Sadly, this only complicates things more, however, I'm trying to cover all my bases.

That said, if the Batman was also an option, what would you do?

Take care

Ruddiger
Old 18 March 2016, 10:01 PM   #15
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

As an update to my previous post...as stated, I have the DJII rhodium/arabic/fluted.

Well as of this past weekend, I now have a BLNR as well. You're looking at a nice crop of watches, but again different price points. I couldn't be happier with my DJII/BLNR combo.

No wrong decision, but I'm biased with either of my 2!
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 10:36 PM   #16
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Congrats! You made a fine decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 March 2016, 10:38 PM   #17
alika
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 11:30 PM   #18
kangajack
Banned

I have the 216570 Polar, and have thought about a second Rolex to compliment the Polar. The Milgauss is more my style. It dresses up and down equally well. Go Milgauss!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kangajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 01:46 AM   #19
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
HULK or MILGAUSS....:)
Z Blue is on my radar

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 08:43 AM   #20
Ruddiger

Howdy,

For those of you who have the Datejust II, how did you decide which bezel to go with? I like the look of the fluted but also hear some concerns related to wear, excessive polishing, durability, etc. It also adds to the cost. On the flip side, the criticism I hear on the domed is that is scratches easily. I think I like the fluted more, but am not sure I like it $2,000 more, however, I also wouldn't want to get the domed one and regret it after the fact. Any insights would be appreciated.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Old 24 July 2017, 07:29 AM   #21
Amyist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
Howdy,

For those of you who have the Datejust II, how did you decide which bezel to go with? I like the look of the fluted but also hear some concerns related to wear, excessive polishing, durability, etc. It also adds to the cost. On the flip side, the criticism I hear on the domed is that is scratches easily. I think I like the fluted more, but am not sure I like it $2,000 more, however, I also wouldn't want to get the domed one and regret it after the fact. Any insights would be appreciated.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Did you ever decide which watch to get? I'm having the EXACT same debate right now. Between the Blue Milgauss and the Datejust 2 rhodium/Arabic numbers. Except with the added factor that this year, the DJ 2 is discontinued. Decisions!!!
Amyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 09:40 AM   #22
drm20

Watch: Just one more
I vote for you to get the Milgauss. I have a exp 2 (polar) and also just purchased a z blue. Should be here Tuesday!
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:54 AM   #23
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Milgauss.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:54 AM   #24
basspro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z blue
Z blue. Done!
basspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 02:54 PM   #25
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Z Blue for me given the choices.

Sent from my G3116 using Tapatalk
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 03:11 AM   #26
JackPine
"TRF" Member

I wish the Milgauss had a date version!
JackPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 03:53 AM   #27
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
Howdy,

Take care,

Ruddiger
I looked seriously at the Milgauss blue, but the thought of all those polished surfaces and no date pushed me towards a DJ 41 with blue dial on a jubilee and a plain bezel. It satisfies the need for a blue dial and it seems to pair well with a suit or casual wear. I haven’t made that purchase yet but I’m on the verge. I also own and love the Hulk and would add that next if I was in your shoes.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 03:54 AM   #28
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
My vote is for the Milgauss but I am obviously a bit biased. That being said, the other two are fantastic choices. Happy hunting!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 04:45 AM   #29
vincenzowl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Milgauss Z-Blue vs Rhodium Datejust II vs Hulk

I’d vote Milgauss as well. Good complement to the polar with lack of date and the smooth bezel, and that sexy curvy case. If this were a two watch collection, I’d get the black, but since you’re considering more watches in the future, I’d go z-blue.
vincenzowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 06:31 AM   #30
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'd vote Z Blue
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote