The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2018, 12:02 PM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Anyone plan on buying any new AP 2018 Novelties?

Just wondering...

Because I am not planning to, for the first time since I start collecting AP watches 5 years ago, not even one single piece this year interest me. Certainly not those horrid colored divers. ( apologies to those that like them ).

Originally was considering the 15202IP but considering the bezel is so easily scratched and after seeing some live pics and video, I changed my mind ( not to mentioned AP probably sold out before I can get one ).

I also think they drop the ball big time by failing to release the long overdue inhouse chrono.

I got an invitation to preview the novelties in the local Singapore boutique but I don't even feel like going this time.
Old 24 February 2018, 12:07 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
15202IP I think should be seen first before ruling it out, but yes free Cape Cods should be given with it.

I'm sure the Beast and CE 42 will be successes and I'm sure there really is a TI one too, just been delayed.

Just that combat 44 was disappointing, but last year was the 44s year.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 12:12 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
15202IP I think should be seen first before ruling it out, but yes free Cape Cods should be given with it.

I'm sure the Beast and CE 42 will be successes and I'm sure there really is a TI one too, just been delayed.

Just that combat 44 was disappointing, but last year was the 44s year.
The re-issue Beast is exactly the same as the original one externally sans a new movement. For the money, it is better to buy the original Beast ( still available ), get it refurbished by AP so that it look brand new.

CE42 need more colors/combo. The current one looks like a Dracula dress up in an offshore case with all those black and red accents. Pass for me as well.
Old 24 February 2018, 12:49 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

That would be too much trouble for the Beast, most will just buy new and be done, and I'm sure we will see more CE 42s in future too, but a real drag AP couldn't handle debuting 2 at once. Still they are moving in the right direction with these.
Old 24 February 2018, 01:06 PM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would be too much trouble for the Beast, most will just buy new and be done, and I'm sure we will see more CE 42s in future too, but a real drag AP couldn't handle debuting 2 at once. Still they are moving in the right direction with these.
If I recall correctly, there is also one with grey ceramic bezel deemed "the ghost".
Old 24 February 2018, 02:02 PM   #6
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
If I recall correctly, there is also one with grey ceramic bezel deemed "the ghost".
That is the only one I would be interested in, however it is a mystery if the thing even exists...
Old 24 February 2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

The 15202IP did nada for me in person. I love the purple and green divers and will get one or the other.

I love the Havana; is that new this year? Also, really liked the black and red ceramic 42, but it’s not necessary.

The purple dial tourb is also great, but not at full price.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 03:10 PM   #8
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Not a big fan of the lower end pieces but the ceramic RO tourbillon and Grand Comps are among the best APs I’ve ever seen. Really like the new concept GMT as well. And the ultra thin PC is amazing but not a real production watch. Feel like AP is going after higher end customers with the new releases and making the “common” APs much harder to come by.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 05:00 PM   #9
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
The new 42 ROO CE bezel in grey might be in my future at some point. Anyone get a price confirmation on that one yet?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:25 PM   #10
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Nothing at all for me in the 2018 issues, sadly. However, I'm hoping for an AP incoming soon, this being a 26331IP, which I'm led to believe should be in the UK by mid-March.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:16 PM   #11
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Nothing at all for me in the 2018 issues, sadly. However, I'm hoping for an AP incoming soon, this being a 26331IP, which I'm led to believe should be in the UK by mid-March.
Looking forward to this
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:21 PM   #12
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I liked the new ceramic 42 roo with rubber band and red accents but honestly they are too big for my taste.

I also like very much the Japanese version of the diver (rose gold with silver dial but I can't buy them in my region). I queried about the 15202IP but I was told it is sold out so back to ordering the steel version. Apart from those nothing else I like.

Why do you think the current roc is not good and AP are late with in house movement? I feel the current model will become highly collectable if discontinued. Or am I missing something?
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:45 PM   #13
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

Overall I thought AP disappointed this year. Their releaeses were nothing more but new colors in new metals. Not exactly leading the pack in innovation.

In my opinion the most important thing they did was discuss the trade up program. Hopefully this will slowly start to turn the tables on value retention.
iceman1118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:06 PM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I liked the new ceramic 42 roo with rubber band and red accents but honestly they are too big for my taste.

I also like very much the Japanese version of the diver (rose gold with silver dial but I can't buy them in my region). I queried about the 15202IP but I was told it is sold out so back to ordering the steel version. Apart from those nothing else I like.

Why do you think the current roc is not good and AP are late with in house movement? I feel the current model will become highly collectable if discontinued. Or am I missing something?
That's because the in-house chrono movement has been in the works since 2012 and was promised multiple times. Even back in 2014 when I visited La Brassus, I was told it will be released "very soon". Apparently, very soon end up to be years. AP is also the only member of the so-called Trinity and one of the major watchhouse that has failed until now to release it's own inhouse chronograph movement. VC / JLC / PP / Lange all have it. So much for "mastering the rules". And couple with all the 1,001 iterations of difference dial colors and pass them off as "novelty", that just tell me they are now more a marketing company than a watch making company.

That said, the F.Piguet movement in ROC is a proven workhouse and there's nothing wrong with it. Most of the QC problem instead seems to stamp from the 3126/3840 movement which is a 3rd party ( I forgotten the name ) chrono module piggy-back on top of AP's own 3120 movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1118 View Post
Overall I thought AP disappointed this year. Their releaeses were nothing more but new colors in new metals. Not exactly leading the pack in innovation.

In my opinion the most important thing they did was discuss the trade up program. Hopefully this will slowly start to turn the tables on value retention.
Agreed. Nothing new to see except new dial colors. Actually, I heard that even the much touted ultra-thin perpetual calendar is also a modified JLC movement, not an entire new creation.

I reserve judgement on the trade-up program but I have a strange feeling that giving AP control of the secondary market instead of leaving it to the free market may not in the end be such a good idea if it allow them to dictate trade in prices.
Old 24 February 2018, 10:16 PM   #15
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

The “anticipation” for the new in house chrono is really getting over played IMHO. I had a 26320 and let it go because the screw down pushers bothered me more than I thought it would but also deep down wanted to believe the new movement was coming. Plus FHB is now saying the new movement will be in a new line. Deep down I am hoping this new line competes with the likes of the PP 5170, VC Cornes de Vache, ALS 1815 chrono, etc but who knows. Something along those lines is next on my purchase list, probably the VC, but that is another story for another day.

Also definitely agree regarding the new perpetual. My AD told me he will never see one. Plus it being 18 months away is nothing but a tease. I assume this model will probably end up being on the wrists of the likes of John Mayer, Pras, etc.

Really going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out for AP.
iceman1118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:03 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

When did the new ones debut at ADs last year? Was it April/May time? Missed it last year and still haven't seen some of the new 44s.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:07 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When did the new ones debut at ADs last year? Was it April/May time? Missed it last year and still haven't seen some of the new 44s.
got mine April 3
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:07 AM   #18
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Nothing for me. I’m out of AP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:09 AM   #19
mjg002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The re-issue Beast is exactly the same as the original one externally sans a new movement. For the money, it is better to buy the original Beast ( still available ), get it refurbished by AP so that it look brand new.

CE42 need more colors/combo. The current one looks like a Dracula dress up in an offshore case with all those black and red accents. Pass for me as well.

Or get an original Beast that’s in such great shape no refurbishment necessary! (Need pictures!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjg002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:25 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nothing this year. I cancelled my beast remake order as it did not make sense given the availability of prior models for much less.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:34 AM   #21
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
Nothing from the new models sings to me. I don't like the funky diver colors but I'm out of that market now. I want a 39mm RO in blue or black, that's it.

I watched that interview with the AP CEO and he said that in 2019 they will release a whole new line but at the expense of reduced volume in RO's. Then in 2020 they will ramp up volume productions some.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:04 AM   #22
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Couple of planned 2018 purchases but nothing for me out of the 2018 releases.

Just hoping Rolex and Patek have a dull Basel so I can have more AP’s
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:30 AM   #23
aquatimerfla
Banned

I would really like to see the 'grey ghost'

Anyone? where is the grey ghost??!!
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:03 AM   #24
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Ordered a couple but I am being very selective this year. I love purple so have the purple diver coming and may get the purple tourbillon. Not yet committed to the 2017 extra flat IP tourbillon which is a stunning watch and just starting to hit boutiques. A few weeks until my special piece arrives so holding fire on others until then.
Old 25 February 2018, 10:15 AM   #25
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Might get the OW frosted for the wife
Purple Tourbillon ultra thin is on my radar too
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:20 AM   #26
tng11
"TRF" Member

Had a 15202IP allocated to me, but I gave it up. No plans to buy anything from the 2018 collection, or any AP for that matter this year.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:51 AM   #27
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg002 View Post
Or get an original Beast that’s in such great shape no refurbishment necessary! (Need pictures!)

Gorgeous. I really like this piece and it would have been the only of the 2018 novelties (though not that it’s really a novelty!) I’d be interested in
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:59 AM   #28
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I put an order in for the titanium royal oak offshore with grey ceramic bezel!

F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:32 AM   #29
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Might get the OW frosted for the wife
Purple Tourbillon ultra thin is on my radar too
Have you seen it in person yet? It’s stunning.

Tng, curious why you canceled. I bet it goes for 50k second hand. Did you just not want to risk flipping?
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:35 AM   #30
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Tng, curious why you canceled. I bet it goes for 50k second hand. Did you just not want to risk flipping?
Bingo. Allocation wouldn't have been until early 2019. Plus I have to fly half way around the world and back to collect it.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote