The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 November 2020, 11:34 PM   #121
map782
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I am sort of in the same boat So far, no one here has been able to help. I copied and pasted my recovery key then saved it in my notes. It’s not working though. I keep getting the “Invalid authentication code” error message when trying to disable 2FA on TRF (using the Google Authenticator app). I am stuck with using Tapatalk everywhere except for at home when on WiFi.

I feel your pain. Hopefully there is a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
map782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 05:21 AM   #122
LF1925
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
I am sort of in the same boat No one here has been able to help. I copied and pasted my recovery key then saved it in my notes. It’s not working though. I keep getting the “Invalid authentication code” error message when trying to disable 2FA on TRF (using the Google Authenticator app). I am stuck with using Tapatalk everywhere except for at home when on WiFi.

Same boat here. New phone, new router. Didn’t think about 2FA and am stuck using TapaTalk as I blew it and didn’t either record the correct code and process to recover.

LF1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 05:45 AM   #123
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF1925 View Post
Same boat here. New phone, new router. Didn’t think about 2FA and am stuck using TapaTalk as I blew it and didn’t either record the correct code and process to recover.

Glad but not glad that there are a few of us in this similar situation.

I am surprised that no one has a solution. And why can’t the TRF Admin turn off 2FA for us?
Old 26 November 2020, 11:59 AM   #124
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
2FA is the way to go
Old 3 December 2020, 08:53 AM   #125
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

I am logged in now on ‘remember me’ but can’t remember my password.

I want to se up 2FA but need to log out and then log back in.

How do I reset my password once I log out?
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 12:30 PM   #126
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
User cp then settings and options then edit password.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 01:35 AM   #127
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I changed my mobile phone and got blocked when trying to log in with a verification code. Fortunately I'd saved the recovery code. This has to be entered using the dashes and I'm now (obviously) back in. However I did struggle for quite a while and once your out, there seems to be no way back without that code. Nothing works, you can't even use the "Contact us" link.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 01:52 AM   #128
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
I changed my mobile phone and got blocked when trying to log in with a verification code. Fortunately I'd saved the recovery code. This has to be entered using the dashes and I'm now (obviously) back in. However I did struggle for quite a while and once your out, there seems to be no way back without that code. Nothing works, you can't even use the "Contact us" link.

I was in the same situation and saved my recovery code, but apparently didn’t save it correctly. I am stuck with using Tapatalk unless I am on my recognized home network WiFi.
Old 19 December 2020, 02:01 AM   #129
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was in the same situation and saved my recovery code, but apparently didn’t save it correctly. I am stuck with using Tapatalk unless I am on my recognized home network WiFi.
I feel for you. You would think there'd be another failsafe to stop people getting blocked from the forum. I'm in two minds whether to remove it now.

Member #10
Old 19 December 2020, 02:47 AM   #130
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel for you. You would think there'd be another failsafe to stop people getting blocked from the forum. I'm in two minds whether to remove it now.

You would think the TRF mods could disable 2FA in situations like these.

Anyway, at least I have the Tapatalk workaround, although I am not a big fan of the app.
Old 19 December 2020, 03:02 AM   #131
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would think the TRF mods could disable 2FA in situations like these.

Anyway, at least I have the Tapatalk workaround, although I am not a big fan of the app.
I did a quick Google search on the subject. The result would seem to be, if you lose your validation code, you lose your account. A bit drastic but it's because when 2-step verification is enabled, only you can can get access to your account.

Member #10
Old 19 December 2020, 03:10 AM   #132
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did a quick Google search on the subject. The result would seem to be, if you lose your validation code, you lose your account. A bit drastic but it's because when 2-step verification is enabled, only you can can get access to your account.

Makes sense, but frustrating nonetheless.
Old 19 December 2020, 03:12 AM   #133
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Makes sense, but frustrating nonetheless.
I've disabled mine now, I'm not taking anymore risks.

Member #10
Old 19 December 2020, 09:07 AM   #134
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've disabled mine now, I'm not taking anymore risks.

Are you using Google Authenticator? If you are, move to Twilio Authy. Go up to the top of this thread and read about Authy.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 08:32 PM   #135
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
Are you using Google Authenticator? If you are, move to Twilio Authy. Go up to the top of this thread and read about Authy.
Thanks for that.

Member #10
Old 19 December 2020, 10:07 PM   #136
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
That then is your choice, as you could have engaged admin assistance to resolve the issue.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:23 PM   #137
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
That then is your choice, as you could have engaged admin assistance to resolve the issue.
I just sent an inquiry via the contact us link. Thanks.
Old 31 December 2020, 06:50 PM   #138
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Just finished doing the set up, I am not 100% sure if it worked, but seeing that I can post here, it's all good...?

I browse TRF on my Macbook mostly and I do not use Tapatalk. I enabled the Two Factor Authentication by downloading the Authy App on my iPhone, I then went to User CP and enabled the TFA, then scanned the QR code with my iPhone using the Authy App. I then entered a 6 digit token number from the App into the "Validation Code" section of the User CP page. Now my User CP just says "Two Factor Authentication Enabled".

However, everytime I open up my Authy App on iPhone, it just keeps generating new 6 digit "token" numbers every 30 seconds, is this normal?
Old 31 December 2020, 09:09 PM   #139
cop414

Yes, that’s what it’s supposed to do. When you’re attempting to sign in from a different IP you’ll need to put that code in. I always wait until a new code rolls so that I have the full 30 seconds to enter it in. Sounds like it’s working as it should.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 31 December 2020, 10:03 PM   #140
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Yes, that’s what it’s supposed to do. When you’re attempting to sign in from a different IP you’ll need to put that code in. I always wait until a new code rolls so that I have the full 30 seconds to enter it in. Sounds like it’s working as it should.
Ah I see how it works now; I am now at home and it is asking me to enter the 6 digit code. Got it now, thank you!
Old 1 January 2021, 12:28 AM   #141
cop414

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
Ah I see how it works now; I am now at home and it is asking me to enter the 6 digit code. Got it now, thank you!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 31 January 2021, 11:31 AM   #142
LF1925
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just sent an inquiry via the contact us link. Thanks.

Were you able to successfully retrieve? I’m stuck in 2FA purgatory via Tapatalk due to my carelessness as well when I updated my tech (phone, new network) and didn’t record correctly the backup codes.

Old 31 January 2021, 11:58 AM   #143
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF1925 View Post
Were you able to successfully retrieve? I’m stuck in 2FA purgatory via Tapatalk due to my carelessness as well when I updated my tech (phone, new network) and didn’t record correctly the backup codes.

Yes, but after paying a $20 fee. Steve created a donor account, changed the details on that account and merged one account to the other so posts/history was maintained. This was all done behind the scenes. I was issued a new password, changed to my own password, downloaded the Authy 2FA app, activated 2FA and all good after that!
Old 31 January 2021, 12:41 PM   #144
LF1925
"TRF" Member

Got it, thanks for the details. For $20 sounds like it’s well worth the price of admission.
Old 3 February 2021, 04:28 AM   #145
BDHD
2024 Pledge Member

Icon14

"Authy" worked without any issues. Downloaded and installed the app on iPhone, opened the app and scanned QR code shown on my Desktop computer, entered code provided by the app and Done. 2FA is now enabled

@BDHDWatches 2FA
BDHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2021, 05:36 AM   #146
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Just enabled it myself. It’s typical of most apps I find ... easy once you do it twice
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2021, 06:14 AM   #147
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I commend you for trying to resolve the issues encountered here on the forum.
Sincere thank you.

Everything I can think of that has been used in the evolution of security has been compromised. We have now come to a new milestone, our personal cell phone number. I am concerned as our cell phone number becomes the it thing for security, (remember when it was your social security number/ mother’s maiden name / dogs name/ first girlfriend or car or mortgage etc) all of them have become unreliable forms of authentication by themselves. I am also very concerned that there is just as much of a security risk giving access to your 24/7 movements through the user data accessible by tracking our cell phones to third party apps in the business of selling our data.

I could go on and rant and rave but surely the guys with the butterfly nets will eventually have to take me away.

Ps Recently I was going to purchase a watch bracelet ~$400. I had entered all of my personal info along with credit card info...then a new to me step was introduced for an online purchase. I was being required to enter my cell phone number and receive a verification pin number to include to finalize purchase. I did not complete the purchase.

I receive several sales calls a day, many not in my language. It is to the point I don’t want to answer my own phone. My purchase of an inanimate object is not an invitation for a personal relationship from the seller or those strangers my information is sold to.

I know it is too little too late on the privacy front to reign this crap back in but for me the cell phone is just going too far. The cell phone is essential for my current job, I can’t leave the house without it. I am not trying to take countless strangers interested in marketing me as a product with me when I go for a walk.

Again Steve thank you for your efforts, certainly the new standard for security has become 2fa and you are keeping up with the standards. I am genuinely concerned about the vastness of privacy and security we are losing as tech evolves... each side chasing improvements in security while marketing is exploiting each and every intrusion and hackers dreaming of ways to go deeper.

I guess I did rant.... knock at the door appears to be the guys with nets, gotta go.

Old 24 February 2021, 11:05 AM   #148
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I have the Authy app. It works with Google, but I am not sure it is working for TRF. TRF says that 2 factor authentication is enabled, but when I log out and then log back in, there is no 2nd factor authentication. Any suggestions?
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 01:12 PM   #149
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
I have the Authy app. It works with Google, but I am not sure it is working for TRF. TRF says that 2 factor authentication is enabled, but when I log out and then log back in, there is no 2nd factor authentication. Any suggestions?

2FA won't kick in unless your IP address changes. Try turning off wi-fi on your cell phone so you are using cell data and then start your browser on your phone and log into TRF.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 01:16 PM   #150
cop414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
2FA won't kick in unless your IP address changes. Try turning off wi-fi on your cell phone so you are using cell data and then start your browser on your phone and log into TRF.
Correct.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED