The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 17 November 2020, 03:12 AM   #1
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

super-fakes, how accurate?

I bought a 2020 DJ 126200 from a rather well known dealer in Europe, but no AD. Watch checks all boxes for authenticity, but the manual is in Chinese.
I got a bit worried, as you hear about super-fakes coming with even the most hard to produce details, such as 904L & LEC.
The watch, however, is super accurate at the moment, -2.5sec in 40h.
I'll put down the watch for 70h to check the power reserve.

So my question, assuming the 70h checks out, is it worth taking it to an AD for interior check, or is there no chance a fake movement can be this accurate?

Thanks for input.
Old 17 November 2020, 03:14 AM   #2
htrap2294
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613LB
I don't think there's any fakes out there with a 70 hour power reserve currently.
Old 17 November 2020, 03:40 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Waterford View Post
I bought a 2020 DJ 126200 from a rather well known dealer in Europe, but no AD. Watch checks all boxes for authenticity, but the manual is in Chinese.
I got a bit worried, as you hear about super-fakes coming with even the most hard to produce details, such as 904L & LEC.

So my question, assuming the 70h checks out, is it worth taking it to an AD for interior check, or is there no chance a fake movement can be this accurate?

Thanks for input.
The LEC and the 904L steel are not hard to replicate,the most important bit is buying from a reliable source.And as you have bought the watch you must have been happy with the seller you bought it from.The most important bit is the watch and not the manual that are printed in many languages worldwide even China, if that was the country the watch was shipped to from Switzerland.Power reserve is average 70 hours on the new 32 series movements but thats at peak mainspring power reserve .So to fully wind the mainspring it would need 60 plus full crown manual turns clockwise only dont worry you cannot overwind the movement.After full manual wind then should run around 65 hours off wrist give or take a hour or so either way.AND WILL ADD IN THE ROLEX WATCH FORUM WE DO NOT MENTION THE WORD FAKE ANYTHING.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 17 November 2020, 03:49 AM   #4
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
You can send your Rolex to Toronto RSC for Authentication / Registration ... $200 cad
You can use paperwork for insurance purpose.

Either send watch yourself or send via local AD.
I send via AD (saved me a lot of headaches)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Customer Info -800.jpg (206.5 KB, 1823 views)
File Type: jpg Shipping Instructions - 800.jpg (260.5 KB, 1822 views)
File Type: jpg Authenic - 800.jpg (257.2 KB, 1812 views)
Old 17 November 2020, 03:55 AM   #5
Wes911
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by htrap2294 View Post
I don't think there's any fakes out there with a 70 hour power reserve currently.
Maybe not but people do mod those with Gen parts. There are plenty around with genuine insides. The lengths people go for high quality replicas is scary. Only safe thing for me is to genuinely trust the seller.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:00 AM   #6
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

Sounds good, thanks y'all. Yeah, I will do as instructed re winding.

Funny bit "do not write ROLEX anywhere on the package"��
Old 17 November 2020, 04:10 AM   #7
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
You'd have to look and see if ETA or Sellita have any movements with that high of a power reserve. Many Chinese producers are using ETA movements, which incidentally are the same movements that hundreds of watch companies use inside their own watches, including Tudor before they started doing their own in-house movements a few years ago. Many of the watch companies will decorate the movement, but the foundation is an ETA movement. ETA movements can be very accurate if properly regulated and serviced, and definitely within chronometer specs.

Companies who have used ETA in the past or still do include Panerai, Breitling, Omega, Sinn, Porsche Design, TAG Heuer, Longines, Oris, Tissot, Hamilton, Rado, Chopard, Tudor, and the list goes on and on.

So long story short, definitely do not rely on the accuracy of time keeping. If you have any doubts, go get it checked out by an AD with a watchsmith on site, or have it authenticated by RSC as someone above mentioned.

Good luck!
Old 17 November 2020, 04:11 AM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Sounds good, thanks y'all. Yeah, I will do as instructed re winding.

Funny bit "do not write ROLEX anywhere on the package"��
Sometimes the shipper wants a description of contents.

You can put something such as "machine part" or "defective gauge" or such if a contents label is required. Any reasonable description that does not draw any attention.

Oh and: "Welcome to the forum, J R Waterford!"

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 17 November 2020, 04:14 AM   #9
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
You'd have to look and see if ETA or Sellita have any movements with that high of a power reserve. Many Chinese producers are using ETA movements, which incidentally are the same movements that hundreds of watch companies use inside their own watches, including Tudor before they started doing their own in-house movements a few years ago. Many of the watch companies will decorate the movement, but the foundation is an ETA movement. ETA movements can be very accurate if properly regulated and serviced, and definitely within chronometer specs.

Companies who have used ETA in the past or still do include Panerai, Breitling, Omega, Sinn, Porsche Design, TAG Heuer, Longines, Oris, Tissot, Hamilton, Rado, Chopard, Tudor, and the list goes on and on.

So long story short, definitely do not rely on the accuracy of time keeping. If you have any doubts, go get it checked out by an AD with a watchsmith on site, or have it authenticated by RSC as someone above mentioned.

Good luck!

This! Good luck, hope everything checks out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 17 November 2020, 04:20 AM   #10
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

I haven't heard of any ETA or Sellita with a 28,800v/h 70h-res. movement. I know an ETA 2824-2 can be quite accurate (if you're lucky). I got a few of those, but the accuracy is less on mine. That's why I thought the 70h check should help.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:21 AM   #11
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Sometimes the shipper wants a description of contents.

You can put something such as "machine part" or "defective gauge" or such if a contents label is required. Any reasonable description that does not draw any attention.

Oh and: "Welcome to the forum, J R Waterford!"

The operator can reject your shipment and ask for an amendment on your AWB.

Use the actual description on whats inside the box. Watch is just fine. If the package is lost and you put machine parts. The operator looking for if, might find a damaged box see the contents is a watch, and go not the machine parts we are looking for and move on.

Honestly there a lot more high value shipments moving through Fedex/UPS netwok than just 1 Rolex.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:24 AM   #12
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Any watchmaker with Rolex experience should be able to tell you. Corners are always cut and I've yet to see anything Super come out of a knockoff factory.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 17 November 2020, 04:25 AM   #13
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I would imagine you could try changing the date in the danger zone to eliminate the possibility of an ETA or Sellita.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:27 AM   #14
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

RJ, can you explain? What happens (if it's say an ETA)?
Old 17 November 2020, 04:30 AM   #15
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
RJ, can you explain? What happens (if it's say an ETA)?

On an ETA, let's say 2824, the date change mechanism begins to engage hours before midnight and finish hours afterward. Let's say 9pm-2am. During that time, you should not change the date or you risk damaging it. I would set your watch to like 11:30 pm and try changing the date. If you feel resistance, it's not a Rolex movement.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:31 AM   #16
Mendota
"TRF" Member

I don't know anything about this movement or its measurements and specs, other than it was selected by a mod over on Watchuseek for a custom built, limited run project watch they were doing for forum members. The completed watch was $300, so very inexpensive. This definitely would not be in a Datejust, due to it having date at 6 o'clock and 2 subdials, but just to let you know that Rolex doesn't have the market cornered on 70 hour reserves.

"The movement—a Liaoning Peacock SL6601—is actually a driving factor in the design of the 2016 watch. As the name implies, the SL6601 is manufactured by the famed Liaoning Watch Factory, which has been manufacturing movements since 1958 and is one of China’s largest watch movement manufacturers with a catalogue that includes automatic chronographs and hand-wind tourbillons. The SL6601 is an automatic movement with a date at 6 o’clock and two sub-dials—running seconds at 9 o’clock and a power reserve indicator at 3 o’clock. The standout feature of the movement, and the primary reason why it was chosen for this project, is its impressive 70-hour power reserve."
Old 17 November 2020, 04:37 AM   #17
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
On an ETA, let's say 2824, the date change mechanism begins to engage hours before midnight and finish hours afterward. Let's say 9pm-2am. During that time, you should not change the date or you risk damaging it. I would set your watch to like 11:30 pm and try changing the date. If you feel resistance, it's not a Rolex movement.
Gosh, I didn't know the date change mechanism takes this long on the 2824. I will check the DJ as described.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:39 AM   #18
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Take your watch to a reputable watchmaker and have it authenticated.

You should be doing this anyway, just to make sure that everything is running properly (since accuracy isn't the only factor). Even an authentic, well-cared-for watch can have issues that aren't obvious.

But, really, if you bought it from a credible reseller then you're fine. Chinese paperwork just means it was originally sold in China. I'd imagine a fake would go out of its way to not have Chinese paperwork.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:41 AM   #19
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

Yeah that makes sense :)
Old 17 November 2020, 04:42 AM   #20
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for input.
Do you have a loupe? The absolutely best copies made today cannot pass a loupe test. That is the easiest place to start. I'm not aware of a 70hr PR made yet, but there definitely clone movements that operate the way genuine movements do (ex. 3135).
Old 17 November 2020, 04:46 AM   #21
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

The LEC looks very crisp and not blotchy or acid, but my loupe is weak, would love to zoom in. Silver dial, so hard to see.
Old 17 November 2020, 05:00 AM   #22
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

How can I post a pic here? I have a photo of the LEC, actually I'm not sure the LEC is that good, it looks different from the ones I saw.
Old 17 November 2020, 05:19 AM   #23
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
Do you have a loupe? The absolutely best copies made today cannot pass a loupe test. That is the easiest place to start. I'm not aware of a 70hr PR made yet, but there definitely clone movements that operate the way genuine movements do (ex. 3135).
The Liaoning Peacock SL6601 has a 70 hour reserve, but this is not a clone movement. It's a full production genuine movement made by a reputable Chinese movement manufacturer. It has seconds at 6 and then two subdials at 3 and 9, so it definitely wouldn't be in a Datejust.
Old 17 November 2020, 05:27 AM   #24
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

And sorry, here is another question. I tried to wind the watch and it won't let me. I didn't really wind it much, say 2 turns and now it's like blocked, won't go any more. Is this normal?
Old 17 November 2020, 05:32 AM   #25
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Pictures please
Old 17 November 2020, 05:38 AM   #26
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
The Liaoning Peacock SL6601 has a 70 hour reserve, but this is not a clone movement. It's a full production genuine movement made by a reputable Chinese movement manufacturer. It has seconds at 6 and then two subdials at 3 and 9, so it definitely wouldn't be in a Datejust.
Good point. I probably should have said I'm not aware of a 70hr PR clone movement for the DJ. Definitely doesn't mean one isn't in use. I don't know of OPs level of comfort with verifying authenticity, so a trip to a dealer may be in order. I've personally never seen a copy I needed to open up to determine accuracy. There hasn't been a copy that got everything correct when inspected at 10x. Obviously one could come out tomorrow, but so many things would have to be resolved compared to the real thing.
Old 17 November 2020, 05:40 AM   #27
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
And sorry, here is another question. I tried to wind the watch and it won't let me. I didn't really wind it much, say 2 turns and now it's like blocked, won't go any more. Is this normal?

How long ago you bought it? Any opportunity to return it? The winding issue above does not sounds good as understand that, even when fully wind, the winding on a Rolex does not gets blocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 17 November 2020, 05:44 AM   #28
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Doesn’t sound normal to me. S#%*t can happen and I would take the watch immediately to a RSC. Just my two cents.
Old 17 November 2020, 05:44 AM   #29
J R Waterford
"TRF" Member

Yeah I think it's definitely blocked. Gosh.
... As to pics, when I hit the little icon for photos a window asks me for an URL of the image. The pic is on my computer.
Old 17 November 2020, 05:48 AM   #30
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Upload pics to imgbb or other hosting site then post the links of the photo in your message.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk