The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 November 2020, 11:43 AM   #1
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Lange saxonia copper blue?

Anyone have any long term experience with this? I’m all over the map looking at the gronefeld principia, journe octasport etc. will be for my 40th bday, and want to wear it mostly daily, I’m ok with it getting a bit worn. I originally wanted to get this for my wife but I kinda like it now. Kinda the same way everyone called the elegante I got a women’s watch (packaging does seem more jewelry box). Anyways may seem silly but patek a bit too recognizable to me to wear to work otherwise would just get a 5196g.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 12:50 PM   #2
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

I’ve had mine since February and I love it. It’s not an ultra masculine watch, so as long as you are ok with that, you’ll enjoy it a lot. It wears quite comfortably, although I personally wouldn’t wear it as my daily. I find it most beautiful during overcast days when the sunlight isn’t blasting directly at the aventurine dial. The movement is beautiful as is all Lange’s, and winds very nicely (better than my FPJ CS).

That original glossy thin strap doesn’t dress down at all and I swapped in a Hirsch semi matte alligator strap. Now I can dress it up or down.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 01:03 PM   #3
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks! Yea I wear my patek world timer with tshirts and shorts so I don’t really follow dress watch vs sport watch. Only problem is getting the strap wet washing my hands at work, prob will order a rubber lined matte croc. Definitely on the more feminine side but so was the journe.
Old 15 November 2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Lindhuirst
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I love this watch. One of if not the best dials I ever seen.
I would have no problem at all with the feminin look.
Would not maby wear this daily either. But Thats just up to you.
My guess is they make Max 100 a year. So This is a unique watch!
Lindhuirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:36 AM   #5
sambb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftycomfort View Post
I’ve had mine since February and I love it. It’s not an ultra masculine watch, so as long as you are ok with that, you’ll enjoy it a lot. It wears quite comfortably, although I personally wouldn’t wear it as my daily. I find it most beautiful during overcast days when the sunlight isn’t blasting directly at the aventurine dial. The movement is beautiful as is all Lange’s, and winds very nicely (better than my FPJ CS).

That original glossy thin strap doesn’t dress down at all and I swapped in a Hirsch semi matte alligator strap. Now I can dress it up or down.
pictures please!!!
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:36 AM   #6
sambb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Thanks! Yea I wear my patek world timer with tshirts and shorts so I don’t really follow dress watch vs sport watch. Only problem is getting the strap wet washing my hands at work, prob will order a rubber lined matte croc. Definitely on the more feminine side but so was the journe.
Did you get it?
Old 25 November 2020, 12:59 PM   #7
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Tried it on again. A bit more sparkly than I remembered, but still like it a lot, but not quite enough to pull the trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F6891FB7-1A5C-42C2-B074-8E9DDE0F71C4.jpeg (234.0 KB, 255 views)
Old 25 November 2020, 06:13 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Good call, I don't think it looks that great on you. It wears incredibly large w its large and empty dial and thin bezel. Even the smaller 37mm Saxonia Thin wears quite large. Also, would you wear it at work given you don't want to be seen there w a simple 5196G? The blue Saxonia might draw much more attention if it doesn't get quickly (and erroneously) dismissed as a fashion watch. Just my 2 cents...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 07:23 PM   #9
sambb
"TRF" Member

this or patek ellipse?
Old 25 November 2020, 08:15 PM   #10
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
this or patek ellipse?
Ellipse. No question.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 02:56 AM   #11
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
this or patek ellipse?
The Lange, definitely.

If you are worried about it looking too feminine, I do not think there's any man's watch that looks more feminine than the ellipse.

It looks like you are trying to find something that is different than the ordinary.
My first choice would be that Copper Blue Thin.

If you were looking at Patek, I would suggest the Gondola. Specifically references 5111 and 5098.

Or you could go over to Vacheron Constantin and look at the Toledo, I like the calendar with moon phase.

Or Audemars Piguet has the Millinery. I think the semi-skeleton versions look awesome.

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 26 November 2020 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: ...
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 04:02 AM   #12
sambb
"TRF" Member

tough call. dress watch needed. ellipse is 39, as is this. very different though. Ellipse is an icon but totally out of favor, and available everywhere at a discount. Lange is a neat new dial, and a conversation piece, but doesnt have the pedigree.
Old 26 November 2020, 07:15 AM   #13
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
tough call. dress watch needed. ellipse is 39, as is this. very different though. Ellipse is an icon but totally out of favor, and available everywhere at a discount. Lange is a neat new dial, and a conversation piece, but doesnt have the pedigree.
What’s the best deal anyone’s seen on an Ellipse? New of course...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 07:21 AM   #14
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

In SoCal most dealers I’ve dealt with is pretty much msrp for anything patek these days....