The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 November 2020, 05:49 AM   #1
Eapfep
"TRF" Member

Lange 1815 Up / Down vs. Daytona 116520?

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks I've been rethinking and rebuilding my 3 watch collection, effectively I've gone from:

- Rolex 16600 SD
- Rolex 16570 Polar Exp II
- IWC Portuguese 150 Chronograph Year Blue Dial

to the following:

- VC Overseas 47040 Deepstream on Bracelet
- Rolex 16570 Polar Exp II

Moving forward I'm pretty keen on replacing my 16570 with a GS Quartz GMT, which would clear up funds for another watch. Here's what I'm thinking now but would love to get some thoughts.

- Lange 1815 Up / Down in White Gold: I'm rarely in a suit as I work in tech, but I am also getting married next year, so thinking this would be a fantastic watch for the occasion and still toned down enough to wear for more casual occasions.

- Daytona 116520 in White / Black: The Ceramic Daytonas have been on my list for a while, but I'm not interested in paying that much over retail right now. I've just started to look at the last-gen steel bezel versions which look nice as well (albeit more "classic" and less "sporty", which is fine in my collection).
Eapfep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 06:08 AM   #2
ThatSubGuy
Banned

You don't need to wear a suit to rock the Lange. Casual shirt, rolled up sleeves with jeans works perfectly.

Daytonas are nice but you will still be paying a lot over retail for a good 116520. A 3 piece collection should certainly include a dress-watch.

I'd keep the 16570, seeing as it's the piece that has been the longest in your collection there must be a reason for that.. ?
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 06:28 AM   #3
Eapfep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
You don't need to wear a suit to rock the Lange. Casual shirt, rolled up sleeves with jeans works perfectly.

Daytonas are nice but you will still be paying a lot over retail for a good 116520. A 3 piece collection should certainly include a dress-watch.

I'd keep the 16570, seeing as it's the piece that has been the longest in your collection there must be a reason for that.. ?
Yeah - that's what I'm thinking for the Lange as well. A collared shirt or nice knit would be fine.

The 16570 was my first Rolex and my go-to travel watch but gets very little wrist time since I got the Overseas. Instead of a watch winder I tend to wear my watches in 1-2 week stints and the GMT hand is a hassle to have to set every time. It's not quite inexpensive enough for me to consider as a "beater" either. Been reading up about the SGBN GS quartz series and feel like this would address both my complaints above.
Eapfep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 06:49 AM   #4
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

I'm biased as (a) a longtime Lange enthusiast and (b) someone who dislikes the look and feel of most Daytonas.

You can wear a white gold Lange with anything. I never wear suits, and most other Lange enthusiasts I know don't consider Lange to be exclusively a dress watch.

Here are some pics of a WG 1815 Up/Down (223.026 Walter Lange with half-hunter caseback):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0015.jpg (207.6 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpg lange_1815UpDownWalterLange_tilt.jpg (80.2 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg lange_1815UpDownWalterLange_wrist_25SEP20.jpg (182.9 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg lange_1815UpDownWalterLange_signature.jpg (61.4 KB, 717 views)
File Type: jpg lange_1815UpDownWalterLange_reflection_JUL16_2.jpg (118.6 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpg lange_1815UpDownWalterLange_hinge.jpg (48.8 KB, 716 views)
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 10:36 AM   #5
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
You can wear a white gold Lange with anything
Agreed. Also, very nice pictures
Old 19 November 2020, 04:38 PM   #6
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapfep View Post
Yeah - that's what I'm thinking for the Lange as well. A collared shirt or nice knit would be fine.

The 16570 was my first Rolex and my go-to travel watch but gets very little wrist time since I got the Overseas. Instead of a watch winder I tend to wear my watches in 1-2 week stints and the GMT hand is a hassle to have to set every time. It's not quite inexpensive enough for me to consider as a "beater" either. Been reading up about the SGBN GS quartz series and feel like this would address both my complaints above.
Do yourself a favour and keep the 16570, specially it being your first Rolex and a watch that has been with you on travels. Must have great memories and sentimental value.

I get it that the Overseas gets more wristtime being new and everything, but down the road you're going to be kicking yourself for selling the Explorer. Trust me (and I'm sure many others will agree).

I don't know about the GMT hand being a hassle, do you really need to set it everytime you wear it? Otherwise I'd honestly just get a winder for it if you find it that annoying.

Remember you're on a Rolex forum so I don't think anyone would ever tell you to sell a Rolex for a Seiko ;-) But honestly I think it would be a mistake selling it.

If you have bank enough for a Lange 1815, A Vacheron Overseas AND a third-watch, you should definitely be able to use the Explorer as a 'beater'. Like you say you rotate every 1-2 weeks, so in a way all your watches automatically become your daily beaters, even if only for short periods at a time.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 06:32 PM   #7
Ihatecheese
Banned

Nice Lange, I mean they are multiple levels of horology and quality higher than the rolex. There are so many rolexes around, millions made, so you can always pick another one up in the future when bored. GS make some beautiful watches. Obviously won't gain the approval of random people though.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 06:53 PM   #8
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Watch: me prevaricate.
Very nice Lange.
wigdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 08:35 PM   #9
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

If you're under 50, 116520 black dial, be sure to buy one with box and papers. If you're 50 or over, Lange U/D. Ultimately, they are both superb watches and you can't go wrong with either.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 09:38 PM   #10
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
All hype aside, switching an Explorer 2 for a Daytona seems like an expensive lateral move compared to the prospect of getting a Lange instead.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 10:08 PM   #11
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I don't have an 1815, but I do have a Lange 1, and I wear it all the time with jeans (I don't think I've worn a suit in at least 2 years). That said, I use an Aquanaut or a BLNR as a beater.

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 12:34 AM   #12
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

I don't think the Daytona is worth the price of admission anymore. Keep the Explorer.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 12:41 AM   #13
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I don't have an 1815, but I do have a Lange 1, and I wear it all the time with jeans (I don't think I've worn a suit in at least 2 years). That said, I use an Aquanaut or a BLNR as a beater.

Awesome watch !

Is it 3 am ? It looks like the daytime view behind the moon is rising.
Old 20 November 2020, 12:47 AM   #14
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Awesome watch !

Is it 3 am ? It looks like the daytime view behind the moon is rising.
Yeah, I set it wrong.
Old 20 November 2020, 03:50 AM   #15
ddaneh
"TRF" Member

I'd say get the lange. I have 1815 UD and used to have 520 black daytona. Sold the daytona as i felt its too blingy with all the steel bezel and shiny subdial
ddaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 04:14 AM   #16
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212

Quote:

Since the stars only show up during night hours, I was thinking that If I do get one; I would set mine with a 12 hour phase shift so I could be awake the full time to see the stars traverse the background. Cheers! Especially if you did that on purpose

What strap maker is that by the way? I just got a special tanning blue gator for my 403 Dato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 08:36 AM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Since the stars only show up during night hours, I was thinking that If I do get one; I would set mine with a 12 hour phase shift so I could be awake the full time to see the stars traverse the background. Cheers! Especially if you did that on purpose

What strap maker is that by the way? I just got a special tanning blue gator for my 403 Dato

I assume you are referring to the moon phase - the disc rotates according to the lunar schedule , not am/pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 08:38 AM   #18
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I assume you are referring to the moon phase - the disc rotates according to the lunar schedule , not am/pm.

Actually in the Lange 1 moonphase there is an AM/PM disc behind the moon disk.
Old 28 November 2020, 08:49 AM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Actually in the Lange 1 moonphase there is an AM/PM disc behind the moon disk.

Ahhh I stand corrected

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:49 AM   #20
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The issue is that the day/night indicator is tied to the date so you can’t offset unless you’re happy with the date jumping at midday... I’d just got off a long flight when that photo was taken (pre-Corona) and jumped a few too many hours in the jet lag haze. Truth be told, it’s a shame I don’t get to see the stars in full effect often enough...

The strap is a custom from Jean Rousseau. Highly recommended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Ahhh I stand corrected

You can see the day portion clearer here...

Old 28 November 2020, 10:33 AM   #21
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The issue is that the day/night indicator is tied to the date so you can’t offset unless you’re happy with the date jumping at midday... I’d just got off a long flight when that photo was taken (pre-Corona) and jumped a few too many hours in the jet lag haze. Truth be told, it’s a shame I don’t get to see the stars in full effect often enough...

The strap is a custom from Jean Rousseau. Highly recommended...

You can see the day portion clearer here...

Thanks Mongrelnomoad for reminding me of date tying to day night indicator.that makes sense.

Should have guessed a JR; is that the JR blue?

Old 28 November 2020, 08:56 PM   #22
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Mongrelnomoad for reminding me of date tying to day night indicator.that makes sense.

Should have guessed a JR; is that the JR blue?

They have a huge selection of blues, but this was from the drawer of full hides. I was able to choose the specific scales I wanted on the strap...
Old 29 November 2020, 02:32 AM   #23
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They have a huge selection of blues, but this was from the drawer of full hides. I was able to choose the specific scales I wanted on the strap...

Nice!!! I don’t have that luxury as I am on the west coast . And it’s hard to pick up the nuances of color on a website etc.

Old 29 November 2020, 03:09 AM   #24
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice!!! I don’t have that luxury as I am on the west coast . And it’s hard to pick up the nuances of color on a website etc.

I get that. We're really lucky in London to have the boutique here. If you're ever this side of the pond, you should swing by. It's possible to choose the exact shade, the scales, and talk to the strap-makers (they're produced on-site) to nail down any specifics. They're my go-to... Just got a beautiful green ostrich made up in Seiko's awkward size for a vintage KS Chronometer...

Old 30 November 2020, 03:56 PM   #25
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If I were you, I'd keep your Explorer II and add the 1815 Up Down.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 04:00 PM   #26
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I would go in a different Lange direction and opt for a Saxonia moonphase.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 09:46 AM   #27
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Another vote for the 1815 u/d. When you can get a Lange u/d, true haute horology, I wouldn't consider a Daytona. Your collection is in the big leagues now with the Overseas. Oh, and I agree with others about never selling the 16570! The up down will be super versatile, but also a dress watch which would be perfect in your collection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote