The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2020, 10:20 PM   #181
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
They sure as hell do and ive got to be honest I dont like it one bit. Its to the point that I can't wear my SD43, DJ41 or Sub to work. In truth even when I'm not at work I get so sick of the first three questions about my watching being...is that a rolex? Is it real? How much was it?

I work in sales and deal with a relatively blue collar clientele. Ive had some nasty comments made to the point ill no longer wear them. Blessing in disguise really as that's what sent me to Tudor and ive got to be honest...its fast becoming my favorite brand. Im actually considering selling the SD43 and picking up a Pelagos while the market is hot. The average person has no idea what a Tudor is LOL

The thing is...im not a financially wealthy person by any standards in the western world. I like watches and have a modest collection. The same people that will bitch and make nasty comments on a 5k or 10k Rolex are in many cases the same people who will buy a 20k side by side or spend 10 grand jacking up a pickup truck.

Life is about priorities
Right? Same people have no problem buying a $76k Ford F250 "Platinum" but if you drive a Honda Civic and have a Rolex Sub, ($26k combined) you MUST BE DOING WELL.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 11:39 PM   #182
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Right? Same people have no problem buying a $76k Ford F250 "Platinum" but if you drive a Honda Civic and have a Rolex Sub, ($26k combined) you MUST BE DOING WELL.
Its all about how macho a guy wants to come across. I live in TX, the home of big trucks and most guys do not need a big expensive truck that just lives in the driveway. They just wanna see who has the bigger **** but that truck will depreciate in value as soon as its driven off the lot. I drive an old 2002 truck and would much rather have Rolex watches that I can pass down to my boys later in life.
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 12:15 AM   #183
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrebl View Post
That’s what she said!
Anyone up for Poor Richard's?
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 02:37 AM   #184
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
So you're saying that a jewelry store owner possibly noticed your Rolex in the 5 seconds you peeked in the window.

Got it. Great example.
In SoCal, no less.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 02:45 AM   #185
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
This is me... I make a good income, I’m not rich but I like watches and timekeeping. Cars aren’t important to me, I drive a Honda. Most people who’ve asked me about what I spent on my 2 luxury watches have much nicer cars, a boat, motorcycles, and all sorts of other toys costing an order of magnitude over what I’ve spent on watches (about $15,000).

If you aren’t viewed as wealthy people think you’re nuts to have a nice watch. Everything about me is under the radar except my watches, probably why people say something.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 05:24 AM   #186
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
Seriously...from now on when anybody asks me if my Rolex is real I’m going to look them square in the eye and say...”God I hope so” LOL

I’ll drop the Mic and leave it at that with theM
That’s also what I say. I usually add that at least I paid the full Rolex price for it.
Old 30 November 2020, 06:26 AM   #187
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
This is me... I make a good income, I’m not rich but I like watches and timekeeping. Cars aren’t important to me, I drive a Honda. Most people who’ve asked me about what I spent on my 2 luxury watches have much nicer cars, a boat, motorcycles, and all sorts of other toys costing an order of magnitude over what I’ve spent on watches (about $15,000).

If you aren’t viewed as wealthy people think you’re nuts to have a nice watch. Everything about me is under the radar except my watches, probably why people say something.
Understandable
People are mostly judgemental on one level or another.
Sizing others up and measuring them against themselves based on their view of the world.
That's life
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:30 AM   #188
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
Its all about how macho a guy wants to come across. I live in TX, the home of big trucks and most guys do not need a big expensive truck that just lives in the driveway. They just wanna see who has the bigger **** but that truck will depreciate in value as soon as its driven off the lot. I drive an old 2002 truck and would much rather have Rolex watches that I can pass down to my boys later in life.
Ha.
Mine's bigger than yours, as my work truck is a 94' model complete with rust dating back to about 2000.
I call her "Old Tetanus" and everybody else refers to her as that. I can't kill it
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:46 AM   #189
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Of course they noticed, thats their business. They saw your wrist and immediately qualified you as a customer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I’m with you.

I don’t know why the rest of the forum thinks they noticed the dog instead of the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:48 AM   #190
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vianouche1 View Post
Exactly! The utter level of Rolex snob: "let's find way to put in any random conversation that I have a Daytona."
And you probably left without buying anything to the store owner, proud of yourself.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

?

Lots of people on this forum say that watches don’t get noticed.

I don’t think OP is showing off that he has a Daytona.

If he wanted to, he could just post it in the What’s in your wrist thread

Like everyone else

Old 30 November 2020, 06:49 AM   #191
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Absolutely they get noticed; by kindly and villainous fellows alike!
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:51 AM   #192
Combine man
"TRF" Member

I was standing at a urinal wearing a GShock Rangeman,and a bloke came in and stood next to me,looked down and said f#$k me mate that's a big one....?
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:51 AM   #193
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
Jewelers and prostitutes are two groups of people that will easily recognize a Rolex.

Add sales people to that list

Old 30 November 2020, 06:51 AM   #194
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine man View Post
I was standing at a urinal wearing a GShock Rangeman,and a bloke came in and stood next to me,looked down and said f#$k me mate that's a big one....?

Hahahahahahahaha

Hilarious

Old 30 November 2020, 07:24 AM   #195
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

An additional factor no one has mentioned - people in SoCal check everyone out. They are not discreet at all, either.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 07:32 AM   #196
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine man View Post
never happened to me
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 09:33 PM   #197
Kmasur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
The topic of whether Rolexes get noticed is a tricky one to quantify. I personally suspect that they get noticed a lot more often than we think. But to illustrate the circular nature of the positions taken on this question:

1. The only way to definitively know that someone notices your Rolex is if they tell you.

2. Just because no one mentions your Rolex does not = no one noticing. It is entirely possible that many people notice your Rolex but don’t say anything.

3. So the data pool is limited to the subset of noticers who say something. I’m guessing that many don’t mention an owners Rolex because it might be perceived as impolite or poor form. The main folks who do say something are either 1) tacky (a minority of the population) or 2) WIS (and even smaller minority in the population).

4. So we can neither confirm nor deny that Rolexes are noticed because there is likely “reporting bias” in our “data set”

Exactly right! For what it’s worth, all I wear is a “humble” ss datejust, engine turned bezel, dark blue dial, etc., very conservative under the radar watch, from 1989 and well worn....and even THAT gets noticed (even if no comments are thrown at me). Some of the non-verbal noticing is obvious even to me.

There have been only two occasions in which I received actual comments:

1) A female colleague who suddenly noticed that my watch was “suddenly” working again. I had been wearing the watch strictly as a non-working jewelry piece for a while before deciding on sending it to the RSC....(yes, I know, guys, but that’s not the point, hehe). Anyways, she was like: “oh, you’re watch is working again!”. No other comments about the watch were made, including brand. But it made me aware that the watch IS noticed when I’m not necessarily aware.

2) When returning to the United States at a land border point of entry on the Mexican border. CBP officers are usually the first to spot the Rolex....and not because they are watch enthusiasts. Me having been in my 20s/early 30s, I automatically became suspicious to them (as if I was in the drug business or something) and they usually followed up with a rude interrogation: “sir what do you do for a living?”. So, I’ve made it a point to stop wearing my Rolex when passing through a border port of entry and problem solved. Apparently, it’s a crime to wear a Rolex on the Mexican border, lol. Not everybody is a drug lord, geeze.....(and I’d suspect they’d be wearing a PP or AP if they were). Enough ranting
Kmasur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 09:48 PM   #198
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
People notice a lot of other things about me before they notice my Rolex...