The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 June 2017, 02:22 AM   #31
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Scam if you ask me. Don't care if there is a market for it.
Thanks for the high quality opinion!
Old 9 June 2017, 03:15 AM   #32
Star Ferry
Banned

I've traded in and out of these. My close friend works for a "cryptocurrency" exchange. We're both in Korea now (for an unrelated purpose) and had a chance to attend an industry event this week

The worrisome thing for me is that these currencies seem more like a speculative vehicle than a practical medium of exchange (at least right now).

But bitcoin is still going way higher IMO. there's no way to predict the timing but I think the direction is clear
Old 9 June 2017, 03:37 AM   #33
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I've traded in and out of these. My close friend works for a "cryptocurrency" exchange. We're both in Korea now (for an unrelated purpose) and had a chance to attend an industry event this week

The worrisome thing for me is that these currencies seem more like a speculative vehicle than a practical medium of exchange (at least right now).

But bitcoin is still going way higher IMO. there's no way to predict the timing but I think the direction is clear
I agree with you 100%. I think in the near future we will see alt-coins be put up to the test and see what they are really worth. I think BTC/ETH will be the ones that stay strong once this "bubble" pops.

All depends on what direction the Chinese will want to take this. Like everything else, they are in control
Old 9 June 2017, 06:27 AM   #34
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
A Scandinavian Cryptocurrency was just revealed as a Pyramid scheme. Will be interesting to see...
Old 9 June 2017, 11:25 PM   #35
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
A Scandinavian Cryptocurrency was just revealed as a Pyramid scheme. Will be interesting to see...
That's what this whole thing feels like to me. A pyramid scheme. I'll continue to build wealth by growing my business with hard work and integrity. Not to be a party pooper for those who do invest in cryptocurrency, it's just not for me.
Old 10 June 2017, 12:13 AM   #36
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I'd honestly like to see how many investors in this can really explain the economics of how it all works, vs. getting in because "dem gainz are high"...

Wasn't it Buffet who said he won't invest in things he doesn't understand? Maybe those teenages you speak of with 10000% ROIs can explan it to him.
Old 10 June 2017, 12:28 AM   #37
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
The term pyramid scheme seems apropos considering Mt. Gox collapsed due to fraud and embezzlement by it's CEO and others at a time when it was at a very high valuation. Perhaps they saw the writing on the wall that too many people were going to want out at once when the peak was reached and would be unable to get their funds back, so they stole it all beforehand after manipulating it.

A classic pump and dump.

Banks, "registered trust companies".....LOL.....credit unions, etc, all go bankrupt from time to time.......what they are means relatively nothing in the big sheme of things.
Old 10 June 2017, 02:21 AM   #38
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I'd honestly like to see how many investors in this can really explain the economics of how it all works, vs. getting in because "dem gainz are high"...

Wasn't it Buffet who said he won't invest in things he doesn't understand? Maybe those teenages you speak of with 10000% ROIs can explan it to him.
I guess this video will give you a basic understanding from some "successful" people that you may know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bmMWi-O54

I'll admit this video is a little bit biased as it has few people that are in the cryptoindustry. I'll leave a list of names below.

=== People on the Video ===
1) Chamath Palihapitiya (former facebook executive)
2) Sir Richard Branson (Virgin Group Founder and one the most successful entrepreneur on the planet)
3) Jerry Brito (senior research fellow at George Mason University's Mercatus Center)
4) Bill Gates (you know who this is, right?)
5) Max Keiser (broadcaster and film maker)
6) Tim Draper (venture capital investor)
7) Wences Casares (CEO of Bitcoin wallet provider Xapo)
8) Rickard Falkvinge (Swedish information technology entrepreneur and founder of the Swedish Pirate Party)
9) Chandler Guo (Angel investor and adviser in Bitcoin startups Bitangel)
10) Brian Singer (William Blair & Co.)
11) Rojer Ver (Angel Investor in bitcoin related startups, aka Bitcoin Jesus)
Old 10 June 2017, 03:39 AM   #39
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
How exactly will you realize this "gain"?
By pressing the sell button?

Or is it more complicated with cryptocurrency?
Old 13 June 2017, 02:09 AM   #40
ralpie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post

It's not, you are selling it on an exchange were it is either as easy as buying a toothbrush on Amazon (Coinbase) or as "difficult" as selling a stock (almost every other exchange).
Old 13 June 2017, 04:26 AM   #41
Syed117
"TRF" Member

It's one thing to not understand this stuff completely, that's fine.

Even I don't understand all the technical details, especially for the some of the differences between these coins.

It's another thing entirely to call it a pyramid scheme because you can't be bothered to try and understand.

Very few people are suggesting going crazy on these things.

If the possible loss of a few hundred to a few thousand dollars is too much for you, maybe investing in general isn't for you. Leave your money in the bank.

For the rest of us, ETH got above $400 today. Then it dropped, but I think we will be above again soon.

Maybe it will continue to grow like bitcoin, maybe it will stay around this level. Maybe it will crash. Even if it crashes, most of us won't end up on the street.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2017, 05:01 AM   #42
KDS777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivesales
I'll admit this video is a little bit biased as it has few people that are in the cryptoindustry. I'll leave a list of names below.
2) Sir Richard Branson (Virgin Group Founder and one the most successful entrepreneur on the planet)
3) Jerry Brito (senior research fellow at George Mason University's Mercatus Center)
8) Rickard Falkvinge (Swedish information technology entrepreneur and founder of the Swedish Pirate Party)
11) Rojer Ver (Angel Investor in bitcoin related startups, aka Bitcoin Jesus)[/quote

Theranos had a pretty impressive board of directors as well......
Old 13 June 2017, 05:59 AM   #43
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I know this dude who drives around in rental exotics, gets pay for play girls, and pretends to be the next Silicon Valley startup genius.. and he wants everyone in our circle to get in. Here's the latest post, I'd steer clear but somewhat interested in how real investors perceive this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
11) Rojer Ver (Angel Investor in bitcoin related startups, aka Bitcoin Jesus)[/quote

Theranos had a pretty impressive board of directors as well......
Old 13 June 2017, 06:03 AM   #44
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

I recommend listening to the recent Tim Ferris Podcast on June 4th on Cryptocurrency. Will give you a good idea of the premise.

I am an investor in Monero, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin and Dash
Old 13 June 2017, 06:05 AM   #45
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

It is completely speculative right now because adoption and regulation are real concerns, however, the more companies allow it to be part of the fabric, it will continue to work. It has already proven itself as a store of value. I think it could easily crash and likely will, but in 5-10 years I think it will be as ingrained in our fabric as Amazon.
Old 13 June 2017, 06:57 AM   #46
KDS777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst
I am an investor in Monero, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin and Dash.
I am a gambler in Monero, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin and Dash.

Fixed it for you.
Old 13 June 2017, 07:04 AM   #47
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Fixed it for you.
Thanks smart guy!
Old 13 June 2017, 07:09 AM   #48
KDS777
Banned

Best.
Old 13 June 2017, 07:17 AM   #49
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Well if it looks to good to be true then......

Been investing for over 50 yrs. Seen a lot of this sort of thing come and go, but never met a person that became weathly with them. Most eventually get their asses handed to them.

Good luck guys
Old 13 June 2017, 07:18 AM   #50
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Fixed it for you.
Thanks!!!!!
Old 13 June 2017, 08:13 AM   #51
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I know this dude who drives around in rental exotics, gets pay for play girls, and pretends to be the next Silicon Valley startup genius.. and he wants everyone in our circle to get in. Here's the latest post, I'd steer clear but somewhat interested in how real investors perceive this.
Despite what you perceive him to be... he is right. If he is telling his friend circle to join it's because he wants them to make money.

If you had listened to him and bought into ETH at 210 (around the time I made this post it was 210-240) you could of sold ETH at 400 (the ATH right now) and almost doubled your money within 1 week.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:25 AM   #52
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko10 View Post
Well if it looks to good to be true then......

Been investing for over 50 yrs. Seen a lot of this sort of thing come and go, but never met a person that became weathly with them. Most eventually get their asses handed to them.

Good luck guys
I understand your method of discrediting something you don't understand because you don't want to do any research at all. I'm glad with 50 years of investing experience that you are confidentially able to discredit possibly one of the most profitable investment potentials of the next decade.

I suggest watching some videos/podcast of real investors talking about crypto currency / blockchain technology and the impacts it will have in the future.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:27 AM   #53
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveSales View Post
I understand your method of discrediting something you don't understand because you don't want to do any research at all. I'm glad with 50 years of investing experience that you are confidentially able to discredit possibly one of the most profitable investment potentials of the next decade.

I suggest watching some videos/podcast of real investors talking about crypto currency / blockchain technology and the impacts it will have in the future.
Spoke a bit further with my advisor but unfortunately we both had to run to other calls.
Question he asks is have you sold and realized any profit and was it as readily realized as any other stock transaction?
Old 13 June 2017, 08:34 AM   #54
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Spoke a bit further with my advisor but unfortunately we both had to run to other calls.
Question he asks is have you sold and realized any profit and was it as readily realized as any other stock transaction?
It depends on the exchange you use. I heard Poloniex is very delayed and can take up to 3 weeks to receive your money.

I withdrew from Coinbase and it took me 1 day to receive the money via ACH transfer.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:46 AM   #55
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I see a lot of folks with supposed milllions of $ in coinbase, but genuinely curious if anyone has realized/cashed out said millions.

ETH opened at $1.35 on 9/1/15, and is now $400. That's a lot of billionaires that we dont hear about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/c...o_millionaire/

Quote:
Despite what you perceive him to be... he is right. If he is telling his friend circle to join it's because he wants them to make money.

If you had listened to him and bought into ETH at 210 (around the time I made this post it was 210-240) you could of sold ETH at 400 (the ATH right now) and almost doubled your money within 1 week.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:48 AM   #56
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I see a lot of folks with supposed milllions of $ in coinbase, but genuinely curious if anyone has realized/cashed out said millions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/c...o_millionaire/
If he is still holding ETH (which he most likely is). He has just now become a crypto multi-millionaire xD

I believe I answered your question with the previous post I made.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:56 AM   #57
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post

Love that. Great advice
Old 13 June 2017, 09:19 AM   #58
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hey sir, just go ahead and do it. I really don't give a damn. Just relating wisdom of a lot of experience which you obvisosly don' the have . I, and others like me, will get the remains of what is left of your "wealth" for mayby 10 cents on the dollar. Been there done that several times as some here appearently tried to tell you. It's your inexperience and impulsiveness that we depend on your make and maintain our fourtunes. Your foolishness has made many of us weathly.

JUST GO FOR IT and we will buy the pieces.
Old 13 June 2017, 09:22 AM   #59
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I am in both ETH and BC but saw a big correction today around 3pm central time and Coinbase app crashed for awhile... I bought kinda low so I am staying put
Old 13 June 2017, 09:26 AM   #60
OliveSales
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko10 View Post
Hey sir, just go ahead and do it. I really don't give a damn. Just relating wisdom of a lot of experience which you obvisosly don' the have . I, and others like me, will get the remains of what is left of your "wealth" for mayby 10 cents on the dollar. Been there done that several times as some here appearently tried to tell you. It's your inexperience and impulsiveness that we depend on your make and maintain our fourtunes. Your foolishness has made many of us weathly.

JUST GO FOR IT and we will buy the pieces.
Quote:
I bought into ETH at 75$,130$,150$,160$,180$,220$,250$

Currently have 40 coins. Plan on buying more before it hits 300

ETH is currently 390$ per coin. I think you will have to budge a little more than 10 cents on the dollar to buy my remains

That is just my ETH investments. I have money in couple other alt coins that I'm up a decent amount on.

I won't even bother telling you my age because that would just be overkill right there.
Closed Thread